• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FanGrapghs Free Agent List & Numbers

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners need to go back into complete rebuild mode for the next few years.

Spending money on top FA should not be a priority unless the front office is prepared to go all the way with roster building through $180 million+ payroll. It would take at least that much payroll to address the deficiencies on this team to a point where they could even get their 2nd winning record in 6 seasons, much less actually contend.

Fans who still think the anomalous 2014 season meant anything are going to be sorely disappointed.

If Dipoto can even get the farm stocked to a semi-decent level by the end of 2016, it'll be a monumental achievement.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the media talking heamds did a run downs of free agensts he expected each team to acquire. He had the Mariners with:
Kuma - 3/$45m
Span - 3/$30m
Iannetta - 2/10m
Da Aza - 2/8m

They all made sense to me except De Aza, so I looked up his splits. He's similar to Smith and Miller - hits right handers much better than left handers. So, I don't see why they would invest in De Aza unless Smith was traded. De Aza is more athletic which is what Dipoto is stressing for the outfield.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the media talking heamds did a run downs of free agensts he expected each team to acquire. He had the Mariners with:
Kuma - 3/$45m
Span - 3/$30m
Iannetta - 2/10m
Da Aza - 2/8m

They all made sense to me except De Aza, so I looked up his splits. He's similar to Smith and Miller - hits right handers much better than left handers. So, I don't see why they would invest in De Aza unless Smith was traded. De Aza is more athletic which is what Dipoto is stressing for the outfield.
I agree about De Aza if the goals is to have him as a long-term player. I can't imagine that's the case, though. Dipoto has made it clear that getting together an athletic outfield is a top priority for this team to complete. The only reason to sign anybody on that list is for short-term payoff on the roster, and trading for prospects next July.

Really, June and July with the draft and trade deadline are what I'll be focusing on the most next season.

Our pitching depth is so bad, we kind of have to sign Kuma, though that price is a little crazy to me considering his age.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, cezero.
I agree about De Aza if the goals is to have him as a long-term player. I can't imagine that's the case, though. Dipoto has made it clear that getting together an athletic outfield is a top priority for this team to complete. The only reason to sign anybody on that list is for short-term payoff on the roster, and trading for prospects next July.

Really, June and July with the draft and trade deadline are what I'll be focusing on the most next season.

Our pitching depth is so bad, we kind of have to sign Kuma, though that price is a little crazy to me considering his age.

Same feeling that I have with Kuma. I still kinda think re-signing him is a mistake long term but as you said there is not enough pitching depth we almost have to resign him and hope he stays healthy. His price tag annoys me because he is aging and he has already had health concerns, just goes to show what the market is for SP at the moment.

I really like Span. I think he is a good fit for the Mariners. I am in favor of the Mariners signing him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, cezero.

Same feeling that I have with Kuma. I still kinda think re-signing him is a mistake long term but as you said there is not enough pitching depth we almost have to resign him and hope he stays healthy. His price tag annoys me because he is aging and he has already had health concerns, just goes to show what the market is for SP at the moment.

I really like Span. I think he is a good fit for the Mariners. I am in favor of the Mariners signing him.

Dipoto must have heard ya'lls concerns about the rotation, so he went out and got Karns. Good job boys. We'll have to call you and Cezero the GM whisperers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seemed to be Dipoto's desired roster wasn't it starting pitching, bullpen, then getting a more athletic outfield?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners need to go back into complete rebuild mode for the next few years.

Problem is in order to do a full rebuild the Mariners have to find teams to take on Cano and Cruz's contract and deal Feliz which I doubt is going to happen. If they are go full rebuild mode it seems counter productive to have so much payroll wrapped up in 3 guys who are on the down side of their prime.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is in order to do a full rebuild the Mariners have to find teams to take on Cano and Cruz's contract and deal Feliz which I doubt is going to happen. If they are go full rebuild mode it seems counter productive to have so much payroll wrapped up in 3 guys who are on the down side of their prime.

I'd want to keep Cruz and Cano for 1 more year just to solidify for the rest of the free agent market in years to come that it IS possible to hit at Safeco. If Dipoto can get a great deal done, who knows, though?

We need to look at every acquisition Dipoto makes over the next year as either:

#1: something we need and probably want to keep/develop into a staple on the roster

or

#2: something we can utilize short term, and then trade away for what we actually need

It's going to take 2-3 stages of buying and trading #2's to get the #1's we want. In short, it'll take some time. If Dipoto takes an ad hoc approach to roster building in an attempt to contend, I'll lose my shit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh misunderstood your talk about a rebuild then, my bad. I think he has made it clear that free agency is the last option he wants to take and I even think he threw a jab at the Angels with his remarks on the radio.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh misunderstood your talk about a rebuild then, my bad. I think he has made it clear that free agency is the last option he wants to take and I even think he threw a jab at the Angels with his remarks on the radio.

So how does giving Iwakuma receiving a qualifying offer play into the full blown rebuild strategy? Iwakuma officially got a qualifying offer today. If they don't plan on keeping him then they assuring themselves of a supplemental draft pick for whoever signs him. And if it backfires and no one signs him, then they have a sold #2 or #3 for about the same money ($15.8 million) that those types of pitchers are going for now days.

Of course I could also be kidding myself. It could be that keeping Iwakuma is one area in which the owners are not willing to compromise, and Dipoto is stuck with him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cruz and Hernandez would be easy deals. Cruz was EXTREMELY cheap for his production and still appears to have a couple left in the tank. Hernandez is still pitching very well, is a #1 on basically every team, and a crowd draw.

Cano would be VERY hard to offload.