• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Falcons Fire Mike Smith

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now you're looking at two years of drafts and better FA signings to get this team back on top of the division, O line needs to be upgraded, then you mentioned LB's, age along the front defensive line, and then there is a secondary not as bad as my Eagles but still needs an upgrade....

We spent 2 first round draft picks the other year on defensive backs. Our most glaring weaknesses are at DE and LB. ATL made some moves for the inner d-line last off-season but they've ignored the DE position for an embarrassingly long period of time. If the defense can't put pressure on the QB, we could have Revis and Peterson as our corners and still have the worst defense in the league. I think we need to draft a TE this upcoming year in the 3rd or 4th round instead of carrying journeymen at the position. We lost a lot of production when Gonzo retired and I don't think Toilolo will be anything but a red zone threat.

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty...he was a good HC...best results in Falcon history actually...the team never quit on him, but when you're not on the field, you should never be directly the cause of a loss, and 3 games I can count Mike Smith was that guy.

Dimitroff...I'm a little surprised he wasn't let go today...he was at the presser and Blank said he was the GM, but all positions would be evaluated.

This one is pretty easy...if the sportstalk radio medium is the barometer...Seat PSL sales are going to suffer if Dimitroff is retained. The people that are at the games were really venting today.

If I can say one thing about the entire Dimitroff era...he was a glitz and glamour, cart before the horses GM imo...he never seemed to care about the trenches...he only drafted Matthews and brought in Soliai and Jackson after those positions showed obvious need.

While at the peak of their success they decided to go young and get rid of final pc to the best RG/RT (Dahl & Clabo) tandem in the history of the Falcons...the 2013 season PLAN was to start 3 players (C, RG, RT) on the OL that had never started a game at their respective positions before in the NFL...What GM puts his $100 mil QB behind a line like that?

That's the mindset of a GM that never really played the game if you ask me?

Jones trade...I'm with you on the GM needing to be gone, but the Julio deal was not his worst doing...JJ has been the difference maker they expected for the most part.

He killed the DEF with these moves...signing Ray Edwards, Dunta Robinson, and Osi...and letting these guys go...Brent Grimes, Abraham, Lofton...Spoon and Moore have been productive but oft-injured. The money he spent on Sjax could've gone to Cliff Avil to ADD to Osi, or ADD Osi to Abraham...1 proven pass rusher was silly.

I do agree the Julio deal hurt the depth...LB talent is suspect.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :10:

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I died a little inside when I saw that Brent Grimes made the pro bowl after we decided not to resign him.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a Bronco fan that had him as our coach for a couple of years he is about as bad as they come. He tries to be Bill Belichick Jr. and it just doesn't fly. From day 1 of walking into the Broncos organization he divided players, the FO, and the fans. By the end of his tenure there was actually a boycott by season ticket holders of even going to Bronco games to show the owner how badly they wanted him out of town. He is an arrogant jerk that thinks he is God's gift to man. Wouldn't surprise me if his first move would be to ship Julio Jones and Matt Ryan out of town like he did in Denver. If McDaniels goes to Atlanta my big bet of the year will be that Kyle Orton comes out of retirement and is the starting quarterback for the Falcons this next season.

I remember that ... He put the Broncos in a mess for a while there... He does seem kinda arrogant...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I died a little inside when I saw that Brent Grimes made the pro bowl after we decided not to resign him.

I still don't unederstand this move. We didn't even have to pay him much!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now your looking at two years of drafts and better FA signings to get this team back on top of the division, O line needs to be upgraded, then you mentioned LB's, age along the front defensive line, and then there is a secondary not as bad as my Eagles but still needs an upgrade....

It might take 2, but a lot can get done in this offseason.

DL/LB...the interior guys are decent players, they're just not consistent playmakers...with this top 10 pick...a Shane Ray, or one of the top 3 edge rushers...in FA...JPP from NYG, Justin Huston, KC spend some money and get one of those guys.

OL...injuries wiped out 2 C, and 2 LG, and 1 LT, 1 RT...they will have to see if Baker is sound to play...2nd or 3rd round maybe...I probably would not draft an OL earlier than 2nd even if Baker is done..

Back 4...Moore has been very good when he plays, but muck like Baker...injuries are becoming the norm rather than exception with him...I can see drafting a S, this yr or next, but the CBs are good players and young.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that ... He put the Broncos in a mess for a while there... He does seem kinda arrogant...

He was the one guy that thought he could make Tebow into an all-star quarterback and was willing to waste a 1st round pick on him. The guy just thought he could do anything even with very sub par players. He was out to prove his genius kind of thing. Now maybe he has calmed down some. Part of the problem in Denver was that he was given way too much power day 1. He controlled not only play on the field but most personnel decisions went through him. So essentially he was GM/HC/OC/DC for the team. If a team can limit him to just HC and nothing else maybe he can find some success in that role.

I will say though because of him the whole team hit the reset button the year after he got fired and got us John Elway as our VP/GM who then got Manning to come to the Broncos so can't be too upset. 1 bad year to be followed by 4 great years in my opinion has been worth it.