• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eyes of Wakanda

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announced at D23, Eyes of Wakanda will be a 4-episode animated series set in Black Panther's homeland.

Iron Fist will appear.

Logo:

GUpXT2SbUAAxrGP

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iron Fist isn’t an Avatar (like Black Panther and MoonKnight), right? Is the dragon that Iron Fist defeated one of the gods?

Relatedly, are there other Avater characters in Marvel that could be brought into the MCU?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iron Fist isn’t an Avatar (like Black Panther and MoonKnight), right? Is the dragon that Iron Fist defeated one of the gods?

Relatedly, are there other Avater characters in Marvel that could be brought into the MCU?

not exactly sure what you mean by avatar character, is it simply just using the power of the gods through a relic... that would be moonknight... but not black panther...

Black panther is more similar to iron fist, in where they earned their power and then were given something a little supernatural extra...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not exactly sure what you mean by avatar character, is it simply just using the power of the gods through a relic... that would be moonknight... but not black panther...

Black panther is more similar to iron fist, in where they earned their power and then were given something a little supernatural extra...
I am not familiar with the comics, but in the show, MoonKnight is essentially the avatar of Konshu. Black Panther is essentially the avatar of Bast. Is Shou-Lao a “god” like Bast and Konshu?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not familiar with the comics, but in the show, MoonKnight is essentially the avatar of Konshu. Black Panther is essentially the avatar of Bast. Is Shou-Lao a “god” like Bast and Konshu?

i agree with Moonknight, not so much with black panther...

or at least i see BP and IF similarly... so if BP is one then so would IF...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does the iron fist power have any other power than just the golden arm punch?? if there is any power that is added by previous iron fists, then it absolutely is an avatar...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with Moonknight, not so much with black panther...

or at least i see BP and IF similarly... so if BP is one then so would IF...
“Avatar” is a strong word. I will grant you. Even MK is not a TRUE avatar. He has free will when he is utilizing the power, he just has multiple personalities that use the powers differently (similar to Legion, I guess).

But each of these three are “champions” of their respective “god”. Bast and Konshu are absolutely part of the same pantheon. Is Shou-Lao part of that same pantheon, though?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Avatar” is a strong word. I will grant you. Even MK is not a TRUE avatar. He has free will when he is utilizing the power, he just has multiple personalities that use the powers differently (similar to Legion, I guess).

But each of these three are “champions” of their respective “god”. Bast and Konshu are absolutely part of the same pantheon. Is Shou-Lao part of that same pantheon, though?

it seems IF is more of a protector than an avatar... as i cant find anything about getting in touch with previous avatars through meditation...

so it seems like he was given a power, and that is all... BP is more than just the given power...

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are actually a ton of avatar or similar characters in Marvel. I'll just mention some of the most well-known:

- Juggernaut is the avatar of Cyttorak.

- Spider-Man and his many variants are totems of the Great Weaver.

- Symbiotes like Venom and Carnage are fragments of Knull, the King in Black.

- Amahl Farouk is the host of the Shadow King.

- Silver Surfer, Gabriel, Firelord, Terrax, Nova, Morg, and others are heralds of Galactus.

- Each Captain Universe is an avatar of the Enigma Force / God of Light.

- The Phoenixes, including most famously Jean Grey, are avatars of the Phoenix Force.

- Amatsu-Mikaboshi, the Chaos King, is an aspect of Oblivion.

- Doctor Strange is the champion of the Vishanti.

- Anyone who uses the Darkhold, including most famously the Scarlet Witch, can become a host of the book's creator Chthon.

- Sun Kings are the avatars of Amon Ra.

- Ghost Riders are hosts of various demons, most famously Zarathos and Mephisto.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are actually a ton of avatar or similar characters in Marvel. I'll just mention some of the most well-known:

- Juggernaut is the avatar of Cyttorak.

- Spider-Man and his many variants are totems of the Great Weaver.

- Symbiotes like Venom and Carnage are fragments of Knull, the King in Black.

- Amahl Farouk is the host of the Shadow King.

- Silver Surfer, Gabriel, Firelord, Terrax, Nova, Morg, and others are heralds of Galactus.

- Each Captain Universe is an avatar of the Enigma Force / God of Light.

- The Phoenixes, including most famously Jean Grey, are avatars of the Phoenix Force.

- Amatsu-Mikaboshi, the Chaos King, is an aspect of Oblivion.

- Doctor Strange is the champion of the Vishanti.

- Anyone who uses the Darkhold, including most famously the Scarlet Witch, can become a host of the book's creator Chthon.

- Sun Kings are the avatars of Amon Ra.

- Ghost Riders are hosts of various demons, most famously Zarathos and Mephisto.
I forgot about Juggernaught. He absolutely belongs on my list. Same with Phoenix and the Riders.

I was unaware there was a “god” aspect to Spidey. Though I was aware that the Spidey Sense was something extra, entirely.

I don’t think Venom quite counts in the way that I view it. If I understand his powers correctly, each “piece” of him becomes its own entity with its own consciousness, so I assume Knull is just the original Symbiote?

The Surfer, I think is really just a slave who is imbued with powers by Galaxtus. I suppose that could be interpreted as the same thing as IF, MK and BP, but it isn’t really what I meant. I can’t really defend my reluctance to include him and the other Heralds, though.

Including Amahl Farouk is interesting. I even mentioned Legion in my original question, but only in reference to MK, not going the extra step and considering Farouk.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Juggernaught. He absolutely belongs on my list. Same with Phoenix and the Riders.

I was unaware there was a “god” aspect to Spidey. Though I was aware that the Spidey Sense was something extra, entirely.

I don’t think Venom quite counts in the way that I view it. If I understand his powers correctly, each “piece” of him becomes its own entity with its own consciousness, so I assume Knull is just the original Symbiote?

The Surfer, I think is really just a slave who is imbued with powers by Galaxtus. I suppose that could be interpreted as the same thing as IF, MK and BP, but it isn’t really what I meant. I can’t really defend my reluctance to include him and the other Heralds, though.

Including Amahl Farouk is interesting. I even mentioned Legion in my original question, but only in reference to MK, not going the extra step and considering Farouk.

yea the term avatar is very vague...

there is a difference between a soldier, a herald, and other terms...

when I think avatar, I think similar to Avatar the last Airbender(clearly not marvel/or DC) where the avatar is someone with immense power that was given or taken by a supernatural diety, the power can be past along through death or any other way, but one can get in touch with past selves if needed...

Silver surfer is a herald, not really an avatar IMO

Black panther might personify my definition of an avatar the best...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moon knight is more of a representative than an avatar...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say MK and BP are the exact same. Whatever term we want to apply to that. And IF Shou-Lao is considered a God, I think IronFist works in that classification as well. He has the memories of past IFs, doesn’t he? As does Juggernaught.

Phoenix isn’t a god, though, correct? It is just a super powerful alien (??).

Galactus isn’t a god, but is there really a difference, in Marvel, between a god and a cosmic being?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black panther might personify my definition of an avatar the best...

Moon Knight is actually one of the most canonical avatars, according to Marvel's own definition of it: in the comics themselves, Moon Knight is commonly referred to in canonical text as an "avatar" of Khonshu, whereas Black Panther tends to usually be called a "champion" (rather than "avatar") of Bast. Khonshu is frequently in Moon Knight's head, speaking directly to him, whereas Bast only rarely manifests to Black Panther.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how does MoonKnight differ from Legion? MoonKnight uses all of Specter’s personalities, while the Shadow King only controls Farouk. What is the difference?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix isn’t a god, though, correct? It is just a super powerful alien (??).

Galactus isn’t a god, but is there really a difference, in Marvel, between a god and a cosmic being?

A Phoenix is any avatar or host of the Phoenix Force, so they're not the same thing.

The Phoenix Force and Galactus are cosmic beings or cosmic entities, or in the case of the Phoenix Force, also a cosmic force. While they might technically be "aliens" in the sense that they are not from Earth, they are almost never called aliens in the comics, which always refer to them as cosmic beings/entities/forces.

In Marvel, in general with a few exceptions, cosmic beings/entities/forces are much rarer and much more powerful than gods, who are much more numerous and mostly comparatively weak.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how does MoonKnight differ from Legion? MoonKnight uses all of Specter’s personalities, while the Shadow King only controls Farouk. What is the difference?
Ok, my understanding of Farouk was apparently wrong. I thought Farouk was one of Legions identities.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Phoenix is any avatar or host of the Phoenix Force, so they're not the same thing.

The Phoenix Force and Galactus are cosmic beings or cosmic entities, or in the case of the Phoenix Force, also a cosmic force. While they might technically be "aliens" in the sense that they are not from Earth, they are almost never called aliens in the comics, which always refer to them as cosmic beings/entities/forces.

In Marvel, in general with a few exceptions, cosmic beings/entities/forces are much rarer and much more powerful than gods, who are much more numerous and mostly comparatively weak.

I’m definitely fixated on the term avatar. I don’t like any for the term.

Just thought black panther is the closest for my definition of avatar. Not that he fit either.

But I know whenever you talk about a different comic universe you usually need to change your definitions of words.