• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expect another boring offseason this year

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call that helping...help clearing space to overpay a very good player. We all thank you Detroit!! This will put New York into purgatory.

I think Detroit likes their young core and they don't think they will get Bridges or Ayton so from that aspect it makes sense. Those are all expiring contracts, Noel and Burks have clubs options next year and Detroit will still have ton of cap space with more options next season. Let your young core get experience together, still 2-4 years away anyway.
I think that is the right plan.

Once the core grows a little, they may prove promising enough to sign a legit free agent to complement them.

Not overpaying a good, not great RFA.
I just don't get why they needed to do this with New York. I guess it adds some depth for the year, but they could have tried out some undrafted just as well to fill roster for the year; but I guess that doesn't clear cap space next season. I'm just concerned with their less than stellar recent history that they will not be able to retain or afford the good young guys once they have a few years together. I guess if they taste some success together they won't feel the need to be a Laker, Celtic, or Heat.

But I really don't know what the Knicks are thinking. Sure, Brunson looked very good alongside Doncic, but almost anyone would. Sure, he'll play well for them, but he won't be the difference maker that the money they are about to throw at him warrants.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get why they needed to do this with New York. I guess it adds some depth for the year, but they could have tried out some undrafted just as well to fill roster for the year; but I guess that doesn't clear cap space next season. I'm just concerned with their less than stellar recent history that they will not be able to retain or afford the good young guys once they have a few years together. I guess if they taste some success together they won't feel the need to be a Laker, Celtic, or Heat.

But I really don't know what the Knicks are thinking. Sure, Brunson looked very good alongside Doncic, but almost anyone would. Sure, he'll play well for them, but he won't be the difference maker that the money they are about to throw at him warrants.
It really all depends on how they value those players in a couple years I guess. If Ivey is the real deal, we are talking about Ivey and Cunningham. I like Bey as well. That combo can reel in a FA in a couple years but a long way away from that, they should be on the rise though.

The Knicks can't get out of their own way.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to look at the long term vision.

They have 6 years to build it up to a winner enough that guys like Cade and Ivey will want to stay.

They really have 2-3 years to build up and start showing enough promise to maybe attract free agents in 2025 before they have to pay big money to their young stars (assuming Ivey is one)

This upcoming season is 100% about development.

Then next summer preserve that cap space by trading for or overpaying 1 year guys who compliment the young studs.

Then hopefully your guys show enough promise, and you can win enough games to attract a better player than Bridges in the future.

And by then, ownership has to be willing to spend and gone into the tax for a few years.

That is how Detroit can build a contender.