• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

expansion to 32 teams

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is happening soon!!! and i think i like it... at least if they do it the way i hope they do it...

expanding to 32 teams makes sense as it will cut the interleague play, and balance the schedules better...

with 30, thats 15 and 15, so there always MUST be an interleague series...

But my hope is that they dont also increase minor league teams... the minor leagues does not need to get bigger in player pool... of course there would be 32 minor league teams in each level instead of 30... but hopefully this means they can cut a level... and this would really HELP baseball... there needs to be a more direct path from draft to the MLB... and this would also prevent blocking players too...

of course it is hard to get behind right now when there are teams like the A's and the nationals, who may lose more than 110 games this season... but overall i think it will help the game...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is happening soon!!! and i think i like it... at least if they do it the way i hope they do it...

expanding to 32 teams makes sense as it will cut the interleague play, and balance the schedules better...

But my hope is that they dont also increase minor league teams... the minor leagues does not need to get bigger in player pool... of course there would be 32 minor league teams in each level instead of 30... but hopefully this means they can cut a level... and this would really HELP baseball... there needs to be a more direct path from draft to the MLB... and this would also prevent blocking players too...

of course it is hard to get behind right now when there are teams like the A's and the nationals, who may lose more than 110 games this season... but overall i think it will help the game...
I am pumped for this because Utah is a great option, and the group looking to add it has big money and owns a massive chunk of land to build on already.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How would it help the league with all of the state of the local tv rights?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would it help the league with all of the state of the local tv rights?

i guess that all depends on the market... but i assume that whoever wins the expansion lottery will spend the big bucks everywhere...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just stated in the Vegas A’s thread that expansion is coming fast, but not until the A’s and Rays are settled. I mentioned Vegas, Montreal, Charlotte, Portland and Austin as possible sites. SLC doesn’t strike me as big enough, but they already have a NBA team, and I think their AAA team does well as well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess that all depends on the market... but i assume that whoever wins the expansion lottery will spend the big bucks everywhere...
I just see expansion as a negative for fans. Nice for the two cities that get the teams but I just don’t see how expansion is win for fans or the owners, huge win for the MLBPA though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just see expansion as a negative for fans. Nice for the two cities that get the teams but I just don’t see how expansion is win for fans or the owners, huge win for the MLBPA though.
The owners get a split of the buy in fee. That’s a nice little chunk of change.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just stated in the Vegas A’s thread that expansion is coming fast, but not until the A’s and Rays are settled. I mentioned Vegas, Montreal, Charlotte, Portland and Austin as possible sites. SLC doesn’t strike me as big enough, but they already have a NBA team, and I think their AAA team does well as well.
Nashville...biggish city in a large population state with no team

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do we know this is "happening soon"?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If done right. It will be great for everyone. If not done right it will only be good for everyone but the fans outside of the new markets.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If done right. It will be great for everyone. If not done right it will only be good for everyone but the fans outside of the new markets.
How though? They isn’t enough MLB players today so how is adding another 52 going to make the game better.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How though? They isn’t enough MLB players today so how is adding another 52 going to make the game better.

I understand this view... and it is not wrong...
But I don't think it matters... first off teams that pay for players will still pay for players, and teams that don't still won't... the A's are not bad because of a lack of MLB level players around baseball, many teams have bench players that would start for any other team and many teams have minor leaguers ready to play, but don't come up because they are being blocked or because of money issues...

so expansion should actually help this, because they will be taking players from every team, which wlll actually allow many of these blocked players to play...

also in the future, it will make the MLB draft more important, and teams will take scouting more seriously.... right now the draft is so backwards, they care more about signing bonuses, and care more about potential than they do about being actually good...

I also hope that expansion will actually lessen the need for so many levels in the minor leagues... if it decreases that, then it will be harder to block players... it will ultimately make teams play their best players!!!

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand this view... and it is not wrong...
But I don't think it matters... first off teams that pay for players will still pay for players, and teams that don't still won't... the A's are not bad because of a lack of MLB level players around baseball, many teams have bench players that would start for any other team and many teams have minor leaguers ready to play, but don't come up because they are being blocked or because of money issues...

so expansion should actually help this, because they will be taking players from every team, which wlll actually allow many of these blocked players to play...

also in the future, it will make the MLB draft more important, and teams will take scouting more seriously.... right now the draft is so backwards, they care more about signing bonuses, and care more about potential than they do about being actually good...

I also hope that expansion will actually lessen the need for so many levels in the minor leagues... if it decreases that, then it will be harder to block players... it will ultimately make teams play their best players!!!
A bit of a derail, but…

the best way to ensure that players make it the bigs when they are actually ready is the not tie their FA clock to their MLB time. Tie to their draft/initial signing date, or to their birthdate (or some kind of hybrid). Tying it to their MLB time gives every incentive to teams to hold keeping capable players in the minors for as long as possible to secure extra control.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit of a derail, but…

the best way to ensure that players make it the bigs when they are actually ready is the not tie their FA clock to their MLB time. Tie to their draft/initial signing date, or to their birthdate (or some kind of hybrid). Tying it to their MLB time gives every incentive to teams to hold keeping capable players in the minors for as long as possible to secure extra control.

true, but again, don't you think expansion might help this?? at least for the top end...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, but again, don't you think expansion might help this?? at least for the top end...
Not with the way the clock works today. Prime years for prime players will become even more valuable.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with the way the clock works today. Prime years for prime players will become even more valuable.

sorry... not saying it will solve that problem... but if the expansion teams create their minor leagues with the current minor leagues, and take players from all the other teams, then the player pool will need to expand right away... which will hopefully allow for the most deserving minor leaguers to get their promotions earlier....

and in the future, if the minor leagues gets diluted because of the 2 more teams in each level, then it may be harder to block...or maybe it will just be wiser for teams to care more about the draft... HOPEFULLY... because again, the draft is more about signing bonus and 5 tool potential than it is about drafting the best players, or the most MLB ready... which also explains why so many busts in the first round...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry... not saying it will solve that problem... but if the expansion teams create their minor leagues with the current minor leagues, and take players from all the other teams, then the player pool will need to expand right away... which will hopefully allow for the most deserving minor leaguers to get their promotions earlier....

and in the future, if the minor leagues gets diluted because of the 2 more teams in each level, then it may be harder to block...or maybe it will just be wiser for teams to care more about the draft... HOPEFULLY... because again, the draft is more about signing bonus and 5 tool potential than it is about drafting the best players, or the most MLB ready... which also explains why so many busts in the first round...
There will always be a buffer pool of players.

if you just going to include the top 10 players, than the numbers 11-15 players will feel snubbed or blocked. If you are only talking about the top 100 players, than players 101-125 will feel blocked.

we are currently talking about the top 780 players (26 * 30), so numbers 781 - 900 or so complain. If we change that to 832 players, numbers 833 - 1000 or so are “blocked”.