• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Excellent Reads and Gets You Pumped Up

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be a lot of lip service, but the passion sounds legit and I hope this is just the beginning of turning this organization around.

It will take a few minutes to read both, but it is an several part series. 1st part if from the Bengals new content director. Second part is from Katie Blackburn herself.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its encouraging that they are spending so much money on marketing. To me, that is indicative of a move toward spending money in auxillary places in the organization. It may not look like it matters, but the organization needs to be run like the wealthy franchise that it is. I think Katie is trying to make some changes to bring the franchise in line with other clubs and eventually the hope would be that it will translate to wins on the field. As much as I would like to be cynical and snarky about this stuff, I do feel like they are trying. Unfortunately sometimes I think we are still playing checkers in a league where the best teams are playing chess, but this stuff doesn't improve overnight.

I guess the one 'cynical' card I might pull is the suggestion that they are leveraging themselves for a new stadium deal or a move in 2025.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its encouraging that they are spending so much money on marketing. To me, that is indicative of a move toward spending money in auxillary places in the organization. It may not look like it matters, but the organization needs to be run like the wealthy franchise that it is. I think Katie is trying to make some changes to bring the franchise in line with other clubs and eventually the hope would be that it will translate to wins on the field. As much as I would like to be cynical and snarky about this stuff, I do feel like they are trying. Unfortunately sometimes I think we are still playing checkers in a league where the best teams are playing chess, but this stuff doesn't improve overnight.

I guess the one 'cynical' card I might pull is the suggestion that they are leveraging themselves for a new stadium deal or a move in 2025.
One big thing that has always haunted Mike Brown was his father getting booted from Cleveland. Because of that, he refused to relinquish control to people, including a GM. He never wanted himself to go through that. He also learned a lot of the NFL the old way, and that never adapted as the NFL changed. Look at the early 90's when F/A was a big deal. Brown refused to move off his fathers' model of how to run the team. I deeply believe that Paul would have adapted, but because of the history and Paul no longer being around - Mike had to keep things the way his dad did them almost as a tribute to him. He was going to run the team his father's way and win come hell or high water.

As I've always said - I've never doubted that Brown wants to win a S.B. I know he does. The issue is, IMO, he wants to win it HIS way - and that way simply does not translate to today's NFL. Sure, you might get lucky, catch lightening in a bottle (2005, maybe 2015) but the margin for error is razor thin, and it's not sustainable year over year (look at the years post 2005 and 2015).

I think Katie is removed from that history - and as she continues to run more of the day-to-day, I could see where a shift occurs in the approach. I think she she's the value of managing the cap up front, but also the value that is needed by spending wisely in F/A. Time will tell, but starting with small things like this, and looking at last years' F/A haul - does at least offer some glimmer of optimism.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be a lot of lip service, but the passion sounds legit and I hope this is just the beginning of turning this organization around.

It will take a few minutes to read both, but it is an several part series. 1st part if from the Bengals new content director. Second part is from Katie Blackburn herself.
The 2nd part is actually Elizabeth Blackburn, she is the grand child of MB. She is relatively new to the franchise but brings a different presence with her than her grandpa or mom.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They felt the need for positive PR anyhow.

Every new season brings optimism. the best 2 teams in the division are the Browns and the Ravens right now, and they seem good, but beatable. I guess this is the polite way of hinting that Mike Brown is no longer to blame for what goes wrong.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They felt the need for positive PR anyhow.

Every new season brings optimism. the best 2 teams in the division are the Browns and the Ravens right now, and they seem good, but beatable. I guess this is the polite way of hinting that Mike Brown is no longer to blame for what goes wrong.
I really like our future of our franchise. The PR thing is good, but the difference was the franchise changing QB we got. If you can protect him and surround him, he can offset a crappy defense for years like the Colts did with Peyton.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like our future of our franchise. The PR thing is good, but the difference was the franchise changing QB we got. If you can protect him and surround him, he can offset a crappy defense for years like the Colts did with Peyton.
I agree that the change in PR narrative is good. I think last year, the spending on defense, was a great step forward. It was different. They spent, and hopefully this year the two biggest additions from that spending will be able to play a full year to show the value.

Now, the same has to be done on the offensive side this year. The biggest change, in reality, comes at the Free Agent expense. I'm not saying the Bengals need to suddenly "win" every year in F/A, but the approach has to be different. When targeting guys like a Bobby Hart - it has to be for a clear backup/bench spot. Too many times over the past 20+ years, the F/A approach has been to find re-treads and reclamation projects on the cheap in hopes of catching lightening in a bottle. That approach simply is not sustainable.

They have to find a way to balance their drafting and re-signing of their own F/A who are worthy, and finding good F/A on the market and being willing to pay them market value if this franchise is ever going to have true sustained success.