• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Evil (TV series)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After S1, when they moved it from broadcast to stream, the show TOTALLY changed. I commented on that at the time. Not only in story telling, but in language, and in S4, nudity.

I have no problem exploring religious themes IN A DIFFERENT GENRE. One of my favorite movies is Event Horizon. It explores Hell from a sci-fi/horror POV. And it did a great job, at least from the SciFi aspect. Rosemary’s Baby, Exorcist, Oman all did the cross genre well as well, but again, horror isn’t really my thing. But I enjoyed all those movies. I also like how the MCU and Supernatural have brought religion into the telling of their stories. It brings a bit more of “real world” mysticism into the story telling that I really enjoy.

But I can’t stand watching a religious theme in a religious genre film. Left Behind, God’s not Dead , etc (though, Passion of the Christ was an INCREDIBLE film, tbf). Those are just preachy and are only intended for a very specific audience.

you rant, but dont say where this show lands in your rant... so does this show do religion in a way you like or not... and where does it land??

once they went all demon, the show made it clear that the world they lived in is not the same we do... so i never took it that they were preaching at us ever...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you rant, but dont say where this show lands in your rant... so does this show do religion in a way you like or not... and where does it land??

once they went all demon, the show made it clear that the world they lived in is not the same we do... so i never took it that they were preaching at us ever...
This show is NOT a religious genre show, imho. It is primarily horror, with supernatural sprinkled in. I think they may have tried to get in some SciFi twists, but I dont think those really hit.

Again, I have a blind spot for the horror genre, so please take my critiques with a rather large dose of salt. My read on the genre is that it is there primarily for the gore and the jump scare, not really the in depth story telling. And I LOVE in depth story telling and extrapolation.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This show is NOT a religious genre show, imho. It is primarily horror, with supernatural sprinkled in. I think they may have tried to get in some SciFi twists, but I dont think those really hit.

Again, I have a blind spot for the horror genre, so please take my critiques with a rather large dose of salt. My read on the genre is that it is there primarily for the gore and the jump scare, not really the in depth story telling. And I LOVE in depth story telling and extrapolation.

i dont see how it is not in the religious genre... the whole show is about the church's fight against demons... sure it is in the horror genre as well...

but what i aprreciated about this show is that they did not shy away from the church being ugly, and often just as evil as who they are fighting...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see how it is not in the religious genre... the whole show is about the church's fight against demons... sure it is in the horror genre as well...

but what i aprreciated about this show is that they did not shy away from the church being ugly, and often just as evil as who they are fighting...
I think we agree, we just see the borders of genres a bit different. I see the religious genre as prothletizing, with no room for self reflection or variance from “the message”. I admit, my own bias is coloring my definition of the genre.

IMHO, just because the story touches on religious topics (Hell, Heaven, God, Satan, angels, etc) does not put it into the religious genre. Lucifer, for example, imho, is in the fantasy/supernatural genre, not the religious genre.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we agree, we just see the borders of genres a bit different. I see the religious genre as prothletizing, with no room for self reflection or variance from “the message”. I admit, my own bias is coloring my definition of the genre.

IMHO, just because the story touches on religious topics (Hell, Heaven, God, Satan, angels, etc) does not put it into the religious genre. Lucifer, for example, imho, is in the fantasy/supernatural genre, not the religious genre.

i can see Lucifer, as it doesnt touch much religious ideas... it basically just asks WHAT IF ANGELS AND DEMONS ARE REAL?? and lets see how one acts in the real world... even in the netflix seasons when they brought in GOD, it never was about religion, it was always simply about family... a super important one...

This had a lot more relgion to it IMO...
but i guess its about the overall message, most religion shows want to preach how great religion is... and portrays skeptism as being silly...

this show never took sides, between skeptism and belief, despite showing that the world it takes place in is clearly one where angels and demons exist... so it was never preachy... it was just how it is...

i guess putting a show like this in the religious genre feels weird, but i dont think that makes it any less religion...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can see Lucifer, as it doesnt touch much religious ideas... it basically just asks WHAT IF ANGELS AND DEMONS ARE REAL?? and lets see how one acts in the real world... even in the netflix seasons when they brought in GOD, it never was about religion, it was always simply about family... a super important one...

This had a lot more relgion to it IMO...
but i guess its about the overall message, most religion shows want to preach how great religion is... and portrays skeptism as being silly...

this show never took sides, between skeptism and belief, despite showing that the world it takes place in is clearly one where angels and demons exist... so it was never preachy... it was just how it is...

i guess putting a show like this in the religious genre feels weird, but i dont think that makes it any less religion...
I can’t disagree with anything you say. Again, I think we agree. Our only disagreement in where we draw the borders of genre. In my eyes, the religious genre is produced by believers, for believers. There are some slight exceptions to this (Passion, for one), but it is pretty clear cut.

This is the End is another example of a “religious” themed movie that I put firmly in the comedy genre and nowhere near the religious genre. It has supernatural influence, of course, and uses the catholic lore for its setting. And I am certain you probably put in the religious genre. But it looks at religion as the tool of its joke. Not the “serious nature it deserves”.

Passion, God’s Not Dead, Father Phil, etc, THESE movies are in the Religious genre.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t disagree with anything you say. Again, I think we agree. Our only disagreement in where we draw the borders of genre. In my eyes, the religious genre is produced by believers, for believers. There are some slight exceptions to this (Passion, for one), but it is pretty clear cut.

This is the End is another example of a “religious” themed movie that I put firmly in the comedy genre and nowhere near the religious genre. It has supernatural influence, of course, and uses the catholic lore for its setting. And I am certain you probably put in the religious genre. But it looks at religion as the tool of its joke. Not the “serious nature it deserves”.

Passion, God’s Not Dead, Father Phil, etc, THESE movies are in the Religious genre.

So you like to consider something only one genre and you focus on the main one. I can get behind that.