• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Everything you wanted to know about Grandal, but were afraid to ask

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "Grand" Old Debate: An Evaluation of Yasmani Grandal - Sox On 35th

This is a deep dive. @Jiddy's head will explode.

If you are bored - like I was - or deep into the nuance of baseball - this is a very interesting read.

I will boil it down:

1) Offensively - Grandal is one of the 2 top catchers in baseball.
2) Defensively - Grandal is one of the top pitch framers - good at tossing out runners, but is just average at catcher defense
3) McCann was better at calling games last year - that may be based on knowing the pitchers better. Basically - McCann calls pitches based on the pitchers strengths and feel - while Grandal calls pitches based on the hitter's strengths and weaknesses.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "Grand" Old Debate: An Evaluation of Yasmani Grandal - Sox On 35th

This is a deep dive. @Jiddy's head will explode.

If you are bored - like I was - or deep into the nuance of baseball - this is a very interesting read.

I will boil it down:

1) Offensively - Grandal is one of the 2 top catchers in baseball.
2) Defensively - Grandal is one of the top pitch framers - good at tossing out runners, but is just average at catcher defense
3) McCann was better at calling games last year - that may be based on knowing the pitchers better. Basically - McCann calls pitches based on the pitchers strengths and feel - while Grandal calls pitches based on the hitter's strengths and weaknesses.
still trying to sell us on all that money for this guy? i still feel mccann was the man and we had him SOOOO much cheaper! let it go! :deadhorse:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still trying to sell us on all that money for this guy? i still feel mccann was the man and we had him SOOOO much cheaper! let it go! :deadhorse:
I am never at a loss of wit so complete as to try to sell you anything. The modesty of your consideration of the facts is overwhelming.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy...Another article that sums itself up basically by saying "Trust us, we know you don't see it...but he's good." (Article is a loosely used term here...it's more like a full blown encyclopedia...good grief)

Meh.

I appreciate that the article took brief (very brief) in-passing drive-by comment moments to address some of this issues about this guy...that a lot aren't sold on him (fans and those around the league) as well as the fact that he shouldn't be batting 1-4 in our order. Of course, the author then spends the rest of the article wasting time with bullsh*t. *shakes head*

I'm personally not really stressed about Grandal as much anymore because he's perfectly fine as a catcher (nothing great...but not bad)...and I'm like 99.9% positive that the talent on our roster will move his ass down in the order now that our manager isn't Renteria....because that is what turns him from a decent catcher into a detriment. Kinda gonna work itself out naturally.

It's a bigass waste of time straight comparing McCann/Grandal. Not because it isn't interesting for those (not me) that give a sh*t, but because the comparision isn't McCann/Grandal. It is Grandal vs. McCann and an extra 25 million dollars of payroll over the next 3 years. (Grandal 3 years 55 mill...Mccann 3 years 30 mill).

I'm CERTAIN that the extra 25 and McCann makes us a better team. Simple as that.

Grandal's absolute best utility for our team was this past season as we still had some holes at DH/1B and he helped fill that out. He'll never have as much value as this past season is my guess because everything around him is now built and he isn't compensating for our deficiencies anymore. He's just a catcher for us. A whatever one.

That said, despite his (typical) sh*t batting average, he hit a couple dongs in the postseason...so yeah, whatever. If he does similar this upcoming postseason, under assumption we make it, then we'll at least gotten most of our money's worth out of him...because in the end that's the most important.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am never at a loss of wit so complete as to try to sell you anything. The modesty of your consideration of the facts is overwhelming.

RMhD.gif

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy...Another article that sums itself up basically by saying "Trust us, we know you don't see it...but he's good." (Article is a loosely used term here...it's more like a full blown encyclopedia...good grief)

Meh.

I appreciate that the article took brief (very brief) in-passing drive-by comment moments to address some of this issues about this guy...that a lot aren't sold on him (fans and those around the league) as well as the fact that he shouldn't be batting 1-4 in our order. Of course, the author then spends the rest of the article wasting time with bullsh*t. *shakes head*

I'm personally not really stressed about Grandal as much anymore because he's perfectly fine as a catcher (nothing great...but not bad)...and I'm like 99.9% positive that the talent on our roster will move his ass down in the order now that our manager isn't Renteria....because that is what turns him from a decent catcher into a detriment. Kinda gonna work itself out naturally.

It's a bigass waste of time straight comparing McCann/Grandal. Not because it isn't interesting for those (not me) that give a sh*t, but because the comparision isn't McCann/Grandal. It is Grandal vs. McCann and an extra 25 million dollars of payroll over the next 3 years. (Grandal 3 years 55 mill...Mccann 3 years 30 mill).

I'm CERTAIN that the extra 25 and McCann makes us a better team. Simple as that.

Grandal's absolute best utility for our team was this past season as we still had some holes at DH/1B and he helped fill that out. He'll never have as much value as this past season is my guess because everything around him is now built and he isn't compensating for our deficiencies anymore. He's just a catcher for us. A whatever one.

That said, despite his (typical) sh*t batting average, he hit a couple dongs in the postseason...so yeah, whatever. If he does similar this upcoming postseason, under assumption we make it, then we'll at least gotten most of our money's worth out of him...because in the end that's the most important.
Jiddy's reaction: :popsdance:
So in other words...........