1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Every TOOL Album Instantaneously Hits Top 10

Discussion in 'Music' started by RP-29, Aug 5, 2019.

1. RP-29

RP-29 xⁿ

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Tool's discography finally hit streaming & digital download services for the first time on Friday August 2. People noticed. Every Tool album hit iTunes top 10.

Regardless if you're a Tool fan or not, that's impressive.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. antone112

antone112 who gives a fuck

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,291

As they should. They'd be so much more popular had they just made it easier to access their music. Ive long lost all their CDs that I bought. Been listening for free on youtube for a decade. Listened to the 1st release (Title Track) tonight. Maynard sounds weird but the music is perfect as always.

• Like Like x 2
  3. beardown07

beardown07 Upstanding Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,000

sleep.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. blindbaby

blindbaby PROPHET REV2 Supporting Member Level 1

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,500

I gave you's a funny rating, but admittedly, I had to do some googlin' first.

• I love you, man! I love you, man! x 1
  5. wood20ks

wood20ks Well-Known Member Supporting Member Level 1

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 9,000

i just looked and they finally hit Spotify.........now to go download............:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 14,134

Meh. They have a loyal following, a pretty deep catalog, and have some memorable singles that got a lot of radio play in the 90s/00s. Of course a band like that is going to get a lot of plays when they finally are the last band on earth to dump their music on services that are the way people have been listening to music for the last decade +...

Seems like a pretty brilliant way to promote a new album, but it isn’t all that mind blowing or impressive outside of that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gatorchip

Gatorchip Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,754

First new song released last week

• Cake Reward Cake Reward x 1
  8. shopson67

shopson67 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yeah, it's so difficult to purchase their albums. You would have to wait a whole day for Prime to deliver! Then again, why should you need to pay to experience copy written artwork, and why would you want to support a band that you enjoy?

9. antone112

antone112 who gives a fuck

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,291

Bought every album since Undertow. 2 of them twice. Have seen all the artwork. Paid to see them live 3 times. I think ive supported them adequately.

10. Gatorchip

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,754

They didn't hold out streaming due to money. If they did that, then they are actually losing money.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gohusk

gohusk Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

I like Tool but most of their stuff sounds like the same thing over and over to me. Kind of like the RHCP's.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 14,134

What? People pay for Spotify, either through a subscription or putting up with ads. People pay for music through iTunes, either by buying songs, albums, or a subscription... Are streaming royalties as lucrative for artists as hard copy sales? No (that’s why some tried to fight it when it was clearly becoming the norm), but that’s how music is distributed and consumed now, you’re not doing yourself any favors by being the only band whose content can’t be accessed through the current standard, and you aren’t ripping a band off by listening them through a subscription you pay for.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. shopson67

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Do you realize the infinitesimal amount of royalties paid by streaming companies? Many larger bands have held out waiting for better rates, but everyone seems quite happy enough to let the music industry fade away instead.

14. shopson67

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Making an argument against something I didn't say. Antone acted as if the material wasn't available commercially, so he couldn't replace his lost CDs. No Tool album is out of print; it all has always been commercially available.

15. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

agreed. i'll listen to tool every once in a while but a lot of their songs do sound the same so they are not one of most listened-to .....

16. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Day Butt Ass

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 14,134

:stephena:

He didn’t say it’s not commercially available, his point seemed to be who wants to keep buying CDs when they’re no longer the standard, and haven’t been for years.

I get the attitude that people should support the bands they like, but it was a weird direction to go with a response to someone who’s happy a band finally stepped into the 2010s in 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gatorchip

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,754

And now you're making an argument against something I didn't say. Tool was not holding out due to money. That's it.

But to respond to your case, streaming/touring is where artists make money in the modern world. Music is evolving, not fading away.

Consumers don't buy CD's anymore, and it's not because they want to steal. Today's world is about ease of obtaining the music. Everyone wants it at the touch of their finger tips.

Gone are the days where artists produce a 10 song album every few years, record a few videos, go on tour once, then sit back and wait for money to flow in. Today their music gets out much faster, and real talent can "get rich" even quicker. More touring is needed too, as their customers want to see them live, and will pay big bucks.

Don't let the world pass you by friend. Get with the times.

18. shopson67

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Apparently consumers don't care about the sound quality anymore if they're relying solely on streams. Then again, it's probably just background distraction for most these days anyway.

I'll continue to purchase albums and support the artist, as well as have physical copies that I can choose to upload onto my devices as I see fit (and have that physical backup).

The major artists can still utilize the old model, as they can demand exorbitant concert fees from booking agents. Music is devolving, not evolving, as even the lower level bands were often able to remain full time previously. For those bands, it's becoming the equivalent of your local covers bar band; a side hustle requiring a full time day job. Record labels, seeking to maintain their profits, now take a sizable percentage of a band's live performance and merch revenue.

As of the end of last year, it doesn't seem that streaming services are working for the streaming companies or the artists, so I'm not so sure it's a "get with the times" situation, unless these services are satisfied with loss leader status:

[​IMG]

19. beardown07

beardown07 Upstanding Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,000

Major labels suck. Shitty overrated bands.

Streaming services are glorified radio stations.

None play the music I like anyway.

I'll stick with seeing the Melvins twice a year for 25 bucks a pop in a room of 75 people.

20. Gatorchip

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 4,754

Your personal choices and perception of quality and support doesn’t make you right. It is just different.

Although CD’s have higher quality than most streaming/mp3, CD’s are not high audio quality either.

I support artists through my paid subscription to Prime Music.

In today’s day and age, computers, cars, and home systems, are made without CD players. They aren’t coming back. Turning back time (old model) isn’t going to happen!

Times are a changing
    [​IMG]

A lot of information here for you: IFPI Global Music Report 2019
    There are downloads there too if you desire to read

• Like Like x 1