• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eternals (2021)

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any spoiler-free reviews? I am thinking of seeing it tomorrow am…
Eternals review (no spoilers):

Pros:
-Each Eternal is pretty unique, their philosophical differences are different as why they fight
-Usual gorgeous Marvel film
-I personally liked how long the movie was, wasn't bothered by the slow moments like some were
-Fights were great and fun to watch, one fight really standing above them all
-More originality from a Marvel movie than I expected

Cons:
-Still has the by the numbers of a Marvel movie
-A few characters weren't in the film as much as I'd like, plot wise at least but given the length of the film it makes sense
-Ending wasn't bad but it does the Marvel thing where it can't be its standalone film if it wanted to
-Less quippy humor than other Marvel films but could have used less

I’d say an 7/10 for me

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Forever" promo:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Rumble" promo:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Vibe" promo:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bollywood" promo clip:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bells" promo:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Beginnings" promo:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...not feeling this one. I'd probably say its the worst of the Marvel movies to date. There's some cool visuals but that's about it. There's too many characters and even though the film is long, you still don't form much of a connection to them. It felt like a basic paint by numbers superhero movie but without the usual charm.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn’t horrible but the bar set by the other movies wasn’t met.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it this AM…

I liked it. It had its problems, of course (11 major characters who we have never met before for one) but it was overall entertaining.

General thoughts…

1) Acting was OK, but Jolie seemed very out of place. Every other character, I saw the character. But Thena was just Angelina.

2) The story was just too big. It was on the galactic scale rather than on the Earth scale. How can any MCU movie compare to the grandiose of this movie? Nothing else matters in comparison. This story should have been told slowly, over an entire phase or more rather than just a single movie.

3) I am not familiar with who the Kit Harrington character will end up being, but i assume he is a descendant of Van Helsing? That was definitely Blade who spoke to him during the post credit scene.

4) The SFX were good, but Eros’ sidekick looked very rushed.

5) Again, I am not familiar with the source material, but I didnt like the woke-service paid to the Eternals. I didn’t mind Fastos (sp?) being in a gay marriage so much as I didn’t like making one of the Eternals deaf. these are supposed to be super-beings created to fight off the Deviants. Not being able to hear, and having to use your hands to communicate (and requiring line of sight) is a huge disadvantage. Sorry if I sound “able-ist”.

6) This seems like a blatant rip off of the Justice League. Icarus = Superman; Thena = Wonder Woman; Deaf girl = Flash; Fastus = Batman (maybe Cyborg?); Sprite = Green Laturn(??); Kingo = Ryu (OK, not JLA, but funny nonetheless)…

It didn’t have a lot to do with the rest of the MCU, so I am not sure it will have much rewatchability. And the lack of any crossover cameo (outside of the intros of Eros and Blade) takes a lot away from what, imho, has been a big part of the franchise as a whole.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logged in to start up Boba Fett E3 and saw that Eternals is now available on Disney+.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched it this morning. It dragged on but found it pretty engrossing. It’s a very beautiful movie. I liked the 2 post scenes.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it this AM…

I liked it. It had its problems, of course (11 major characters who we have never met before for one) but it was overall entertaining.

General thoughts…

1) Acting was OK, but Jolie seemed very out of place. Every other character, I saw the character. But Thena was just Angelina.

2) The story was just too big. It was on the galactic scale rather than on the Earth scale. How can any MCU movie compare to the grandiose of this movie? Nothing else matters in comparison. This story should have been told slowly, over an entire phase or more rather than just a single movie.

3) I am not familiar with who the Kit Harrington character will end up being, but i assume he is a descendant of Van Helsing? That was definitely Blade who spoke to him during the post credit scene.

4) The SFX were good, but Eros’ sidekick looked very rushed.

5) Again, I am not familiar with the source material, but I didnt like the woke-service paid to the Eternals. I didn’t mind Fastos (sp?) being in a gay marriage so much as I didn’t like making one of the Eternals deaf. these are supposed to be super-beings created to fight off the Deviants. Not being able to hear, and having to use your hands to communicate (and requiring line of sight) is a huge disadvantage. Sorry if I sound “able-ist”.

6) This seems like a blatant rip off of the Justice League. Icarus = Superman; Thena = Wonder Woman; Deaf girl = Flash; Fastus = Batman (maybe Cyborg?); Sprite = Green Laturn(??); Kingo = Ryu (OK, not JLA, but funny nonetheless)…

It didn’t have a lot to do with the rest of the MCU, so I am not sure it will have much rewatchability. And the lack of any crossover cameo (outside of the intros of Eros and Blade) takes a lot away from what, imho, has been a big part of the franchise as a whole.

just saw it last night... i did enjoy it... But i do have a couple questions/comments

1. The biggest plot hole IMO is Ant Man.. couldnt he have been option one to save everyone, People of earth and the celestial??

2. If the eternals were BUILT to never evolve, then why wasnt it more focused upon that Cersei basically evolved her powers...

3. Why did Ajak tell Ikarus everything after babylon?? didnt she want all the eternals to live their own lives and figure out everything for themselves, as she wanted the eternals to make the ultimate decision of their mission not because it was a mission but because that is what they wanted... she deprived Ikarus of this... no wonder he became the "bad guy"

4. would have been nice to be given a reason why the eternals never reproduced...

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night.

It was ok. Appreciated the in-jokes and humor, fights were ok, and the banter between characters was good.
Just a lot to pack into one movie.

6.5/10

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night.

It was ok. Appreciated the in-jokes and humor, fights were ok, and the banter between characters was good.
Just a lot to pack into one movie.

6.5/10
I agree. Thought it was a pretty good flick.

I don't get people getting angry about a character being protested as gay or deaf. That's just silly. It didn't affect the movie.

Also...does Superman exist in this world? That was very confusing.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Thought it was a pretty good flick.

I don't get people getting angry about a character being protested as gay or deaf. That's just silly. It didn't affect the movie.

Also...does Superman exist in this world? That was very confusing.
Bruh, it's Marvel. There is no DC.

It was all a meta joke. Maybe there is a DC comics, so maybe there really is a Clark Kent who turns into Superman in the comics, but there is no actual Superman.

Until they have Marvel vs DC, that is.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruh, it's Marvel. There is no DC.

It was all a meta joke. Maybe there is a DC comics, so maybe there really is a Clark Kent who turns into Superman in the comics, but there is no actual Superman.

Until they have Marvel vs DC, that is.....
That’s the way I took those comments. They were cultural, not historical.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it last weekend. I think it was the worst of the Marvel movies to date.

It reminded me of DC movies like Justice League, Aquaman and the 2nd Wonder Woman movie.

That's not a compliment. A lot of the CG was really good, but they leaned on it too much, like DC does. Kingo was the best part of the movie.

That post-credit scene CGI was horrendous. They mailed that in. Should have just used a real little person and dubbed the lines if they wanted Patton so bad.