• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider Offseason Priorities: Washington Redskins

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to pinpoint what went right for Washington in 2014, as the franchise had a soap-opera feel to it throughout extended stretches of the season. In no league do fortunes turn as rapidly as the NFL, but there's plenty of work to do before Washington can get back on track and compete in the NFC East.

Here are four areas of focus for the club this offseason:

1. Make decisions on Gruden, RG III

Coach Jay Gruden is under contract for four more seasons (fully guaranteed financially), while quarterback Robert Griffin III is under contract through 2015 or, if the team chooses, 2016 based on the fifth-year option on his rookie deal.

But let's cut to the chase: It's very possible that one or both might not be back in 2015.

If the organization ousts Gruden after just one season, it would be hard not to look at the move as choosing Griffin over the head coach again. Mike Shanahan was fired following last season, and his relationship with Griffin -- a seemingly deteriorated one -- appeared to be a contributing factor. Keeping Griffin through next year would make sense only if he will be the starter (keeping him as a backup would lead to weekly questions as to whether Griffin would start in the event the other quarterback struggled). He held that post during the season's final two games, winning against Philadelphia in Week 16 and losing against the Cowboys in Week 17.

2. If they do decide to move on from RG III, they should explore trade options

With all of that laid out, what might the market be for Griffin? He has plenty of work to do to refine his passing skills, but there will be no shortage of teams in the market for a quarterback -- and few available. That might drum up a market for Griffin, who doesn't turn 25 until Feb. 12. If the Redskins are ready to move on from RG III, they could use a trade as an opportunity to make some necessary upgrades elsewhere on the roster.

3. Beef up the offensive line

No matter who was under center, one area shined through as a major concern on the offense besides quarterback play: the offensive line. Washington allowed fifty-eight sacks this season, fewer than only the Jaguars. It's hard to pinpoint who the long-term starters are among the players under contract for 2015. Left tackle Trent Williams is a standout player, but he enters the final year of his deal, while rookie Morgan Moses, among others, struggled mightily this season. Whether it's Griffin, Colt McCoy, Kirk Cousins or someone else at quarterback next season, the line must be fortified.

4. Decide on Orakpo -- or find an upgrade at pass-rusher

Washington used the franchise tag on outside linebacker Brian Orakpo in the last offseason, but an injury limited him to just seven games (during which he posted 24 tackles and one half sack). He'll turn 29 on July 31, around the start of 2015 training camp, but Washington needs a more consistent pass rush to go along with stud edge player Ryan Kerrigan than what it showed this season (season total of thirty-seven sacks is skewed by 10 in one game against the porous Jacksonville line in Week 2).

Bringing back Orakpo would do just that if he's able to stay healthy; if not, the Redskins need to find an alternative in the draft or free agency. There should be one or more top pass-rushing prospects available when Washington selects in the first round of the draft.

Offseason fixes for the Washington Redskins - NFL - ESPN
By Field Yates

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden isn't going anywhere

Griffin is 95% coming back
Offensive line is an obvious target

The defense needs major help especially in the secondary

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see Gruden going at all . the insider is just wasting text there

Rg3 could go and in my opinion should go

the LOS needs to be beefed up not doubt

the secondary is a huge issue too

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its no guarantee that RG3 will be here next year. He wants out and Gruden wants him gone. He's gone after this season anyway. IF Smith is promoted to GM, I give it a 50% chance that he trades RG3 before the draft.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its no guarantee that RG3 will be here next year. He wants out and Gruden wants him gone. He's gone after this season anyway. IF Smith is promoted to GM, I give it a 50% chance that he trades RG3 before the draft.

Totally agree........IF.............Smith is promoted to job protection duty for Allen. If however, there is an actual GM hired to fix the mess RGIII stays and is given REAL retraining, including a significant amount of bench time. We've tried everything except the old fashioned way of training our QB's. This mcrowave attitude may very well cost us players whom given the proper time serves us well, instead of doing what everyone else does in good programs which is exhausting potential talent. Has anyone noticed that when we bring in players from other teams, they rarely are as productive as our team projects them to be? There's a reason for this. RGIII, is still a very talented guy, but based on prevailing thought, it's gonna cost us all that was paid for him plus three wasted seasons followed by a trade or release to another team to find out how truly good or bad he is.

BTW: The same can be said of KC, here at F_ _k S_ _t up headquarters.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree........IF.............Smith is promoted to job protection duty for Allen. If however, there is an actual GM hired to fix the mess RGIII stays and is given REAL retraining, including a significant amount of bench time. We've tried everything except the old fashioned way of training our QB's. This mcrowave attitude may very well cost us players whom given the proper time serves us well, instead of doing what everyone else does in good programs which is exhausting potential talent. Has anyone noticed that when we bring in players from other teams, they rarely are as productive as our team projects them to be? There's a reason for this. RGIII, is still a very talented guy, but based on prevailing thought, it's gonna cost us all that was paid for him plus three wasted seasons followed by a trade or release to another team to find out how truly good or bad he is.

BTW: The same can be said of KC, here at F_ _k S_ _t up headquarters.

when you go for a franchise qb and miss the franchise takes a good 4-5 year set back

i have been Rg3's biggest supporter bar none on this board since i got over the stupid trade to get him the 1st place

and seeing his play the last 2 years combined the only thing i see is tavaris jackson . Rg3 can not throw with anticipation , throw people open , is too indecisive with his reads , doesnt trust the offense and its design ,doesnt study , and doesnt trust his coaching or what he sees on the field

how are you to work with that ? it is ok to run the read option play etc but as kaepernick is also finding out you have to be able to run a pro offense and talent alone wont get you there

you have one year to make it work with him and we havent even talked about the drama magnet he has become

fair or unfair he is a huge reason for the drama

now if he can fix all that then i am all for keeping him around :suds:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you go for a franchise qb and miss the franchise takes a good 4-5 year set back

i have been Rg3's biggest supporter bar none on this board since i got over the stupid trade to get him the 1st place

and seeing his play the last 2 years combined the only thing i see is tavaris jackson . Rg3 can not throw with anticipation , throw people open , is too indecisive with his reads , doesnt trust the offense and its design ,doesnt study , and doesnt trust his coaching or what he sees on the field

how are you to work with that ? it is ok to run the read option play etc but as kaepernick is also finding out you have to be able to run a pro offense and talent alone wont get you there

you have one year to make it work with him and we havent even talked about the drama magnet he has become

fair or unfair he is a huge reason for the drama

now if he can fix all that then i am all for keeping him around :suds:

How s it possible to make an accurate assessment of any QB here? Bet on this.......if either KC or RGIII is traded or released to a professional football organization, they'll be placed in an environment that best gives them an opportunity to succeed or fail on their own merits and not one where they must cover for weaknesses everywhere else including their front offices PR arm.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchis QB's become franchise QB's (loosely used) because of the team top to bottom that surrounds them. You want to see a "can't miss" guy fail, let him come here or to a lesser degree Oakland. In fact NFL manufactured "Franchise guys" like Manning , Brees, or Brady would soon find themselves on the trading block if any one of them were quarterbacking in either place.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchis QB's become franchise QB's (loosely used) because of the team top to bottom that surrounds them. You want to see a "can't miss" guy fail, let him come here or to a lesser degree Oakland. In fact NFL manufactured "Franchise guys" like Manning , Brees, or Brady would soon find themselves on the trading block if any one of them were quarterbacking in either place.

A "Franchise QB" on a bad team looks average. And average QB on a bad team looks like

images

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "Franchise QB" on a bad team looks average. And average QB on a bad team looks like

images

Hahahahahahahahahahaha........booger snort..........Hahahahahahahahahahaha! !!!!!!!:suds:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
andrew luck isnt supported by much Rg3 isnt a franchise qb and will be lucky to be avg if he continues at this pace

one reason this team is jacked up is because he isnt playing like a franchise qb

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dontmakemesayit.jpg

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
andrew luck isnt supported by much Rg3 isnt a franchise qb and will be lucky to be avg if he continues at this pace

one reason this team is jacked up is because he isnt playing like a franchise qb

..............and the reason he's not playing like a franchise QB is because the team drafted a guy with great talent but no experience as a pocket passer. Then to compound this logical insult, they failed to temper his holier than thou ego and lack of experience by naming him starter instead of handing him a clipboard and a QB coach. BRILLIANT! !!!!

BTW: before I'm accused of having 20/20 hindsight, go back and check,, you'll find that I'm saying the same thing now as on the days weeks and months since he was drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..............and the reason he's not playing like a franchise QB is because the team drafted a guy with great talent but no experience as a pocket passer. Then to compound this logical insult, they failed to temper his holier than thou ego and lack of experience by naming him starter instead of handing him a clipboard and a QB coach. BRILLIANT! !!!!

Sorry Sty.. but the reason RG3 is not playing like a franchise QB is because he simply is NOT a franchise QB. I would say its not his fault, but to a degree, now it is. He has now had three offensive minded coaches tell him whats required to be a franchise QB in this league, if he hasnt gotten it by now... cant keep blaming the team for that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Sty.. but the reason RG3 is not playing like a franchise QB is because he simply is NOT a franchise QB. I would say its not his fault, but to a degree, now it is. He has now had three offensive minded coaches tell him whats required to be a franchise QB in this league, if he hasnt gotten it by now... cant keep blaming the team for that.

You know, we actually agree on this point, however there was a chance to find out if he could ever be "the guy" and no one was willing to do what was necessary to find out. Sort of like someone wanting to tell their God that giving women vocal cords is a mistake then after not mustering the nerve to do so, now suffers the consequences of their cowardice. To now say that he has to figure out what he doesn't know rings hollow to me. Remember the Shanahans essentially designed an offense that was already familiar to him, therefore no learning there. Gruden came in with a pro style offense and it appears no power to sit him in order to give time to learn how to play in it. Sure Griffin had responsibility to work at his craft, but couldn't the argument be made that GOD.......er .......Griffin knowing only the spread and it's DC hybrid didn't feel it necessary to work on fundamentals or pocket presence because heaven...er....DC never required it? Afterall, he was almighty God.......er........ Griffin.......right?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: I absolutely love the argument that guys at other positions are not ready......yet draft a QB who is also not ready, but expectations are that he should have been.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty.... I agree that the team originally was to blame for his situation. But at this point, I think its mostly on him. Way too many people have pointed out numerous times what he needs to do in order to become the QB he thinks he is or should be. I think the real problem is, he thinks he is the shit and the rest of the organization needs to realize and recognize. When he realizes that instead of Know your why, his catch phrase should be WHAT THA FUCK!!

he will have made great strides towards becoming a competent NFL QB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty.... I agree that the team originally was to blame for his situation. But at this point, I think its mostly on him. Way too many people have pointed out numerous times what he needs to do in order to become the QB he thinks he is or should be. I think the real problem is, he thinks he is the shit and the rest of the organization needs to realize and recognize. When he realizes that instead of Know your why, his catch phrase should be WHAT THA FUCK!!

he will have made great strides towards becoming a competent NFL QB.

How is it phrased in legal proceedings?...........no objections, your honor! I think in the end he will learn, maybe become an average or above QB, just not here.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it phrased in legal proceedings?...........no objections, your honor! I think in the end he will learn, maybe become an average or above QB, just not here.
i say rg3 and marc trestman join the CFL and kill it together. they would be happy and unstoppable :suds:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For what we gave up to get him, if he doesnt get it done in DC, I would be just as happy to see him never get it done.