• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider Article

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the players mentioned, I can't see WIllis cut loose yet. Fango was clear he wants Cowboy back if he is wiliing to come back for another season. Whoever the new coach is better not get rid of Fangio and the defense staff.

All signs continue to point to the San Francisco 49ers moving on from coach Jim Harbaugh at season's end, though nothing is written in stone. There could be a ripple effect throughout their coaching staff, too, if Harbaugh leaves or his assistants land head-coaching gigs.

What about the 49ers players, though? What sort of roster changes might the Niners make during the offseason?

"I think that if [DC Vic] Fangio or [D-line coach Jim] Tomsula returns in some capacity it increases the chance that [Justin Smith] returns," Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee wrote in a Tuesday chat.

Smith sports a $6.4 million cap hit for 2015 but has no guaranteed money remaining outside of roster bonuses.

Other potential offseason roster cuts could include the likes of Patrick Willis, Frank Gore and Michael Crabtree.

Right now, Barrows put the likelihood of them returning as follows:

Willis: 90 percent
Smith: 50 percent
Gore: 42 percent
Crabtree: 20 percent

Crabtree's shoddy play this season should be enough to convince the Niners that it is time to move on:

Neil Hornsby
Fixes Niners can make for 2015
"This season was not the best time for Michael Crabtree to lay an egg -- in a contract year -- but that's exactly what the 2009 first-rounder has done. In truth, he's had only one good season out of six for San Francisco. Crabtree's PFF grades, in order from 2009, read minus-1.6, minus-4.6, minus-1.9, plus-21.2, plus-0.9 (on only 372 snaps because of injury) and now minus-7.9. That huge spike in 2012 stands in stark contrast to the mediocrity surrounding it, and serves to demonstrate the huge talent he can bring to bear -- on occasion. In 2012, the Niners could simply throw Crabtreee the ball short of the yard marker on third down and watch him either ride the tackle or break it to move the chains. He was an awesome weapon. But this year, he has dropped more balls (10) than he has broken tackles (nine), and it has left the front office a difficult choice. They can either let Crabtree go and potentially watch him return to his 2012 form with another team, or hope 2012 wasn't the exception to the rule. One in six is not enough for me, and if I were advising the 49ers, with interesting receiver options in both the draft and free agency, I'd pass."

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$6.4M for Justin Smith seems very reasonable, IMO. However, I don't know anything about his bonus possibilities.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Crabtree is likely gone. He's never been able to get back to his 2012 form after the injury. I think he's a bad bet moving forward.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Crabtree is likely gone. He's never been able to get back to his 2012 form after the injury. I think he's a bad bet moving forward.

Yea, he isn't worth much more than the league minimum based on his play this year. Average wide receivers aren't too difficult to find. I doubt he gets much in the free agent market.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, he isn't worth much more than the league minimum based on his play this year. Average wide receivers aren't too difficult to find. I doubt he gets much in the free agent market.

I guess Richard Sherman was right about Crabs being mediocre. You're right. At this point, he is nothing more than an average receiver. He might even be below average. His 10.3 yards per catch this season is downright unimpressive. In Crabs' defense, a complete rupture of the Achilles tendon is probably one of the worst injuries one can suffer in a sport where explosiveness is so important and in a position where jumping is often necessary. He just doesn't seem like the same guy we saw in 2012.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All that and he has been injury prone his entire career. Adio amigo. Lets get some speed at WR.