• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN 30 for 30: Venus vs.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this on the DVR.

I didn't know Venus once lost a point due to a braid falling from her hair.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was more than one, which is why the point was deducted

one is a warning. two is a point. 3 is a game, and so on and so forth.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was what happened when balls fell from Andy Murray's pocket (similar to a braid falling):

+++++++++++++

Wimbledon 2012: Andy Murray orders new shorts after ball blunder with pockets | Daily Mail Online

The first time it happened umpire Steve Ullrich ordered they replay the point, but on the latter two occasions the points went to Baghdatis.

++++++++++++++++++

Should the 3rd instance have been losing a game instead of a point? As this says Baghdatis got points 2x, not a point on the second offense, then a game the 3rd offense.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it depends on whether or not the chair ump issues a hindrance warning.

after that, it's supposed to be point, game, set, match for further hindrances/warning, in that order.

not sure what went on with the the murray/baghs match you're talking about

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a video with all 3 instances.

In the second one, the ball didn't fall onto the court, Murray caught it. Not sure if that makes a difference.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A ball also fell out of Murray's pocket in a FO match against Monfils. I can't find a clip of it.

++++++++++++++

Wrangling the Perfectionist Gene

Here’s a pretty good example of Murray’s mind at work: In Paris, you may remember a mild controversy in Murray’s quarterfinal match with Gael Monfils. It happened when a ball fell out of Murray’s pocket during a rally, and the chair umpire immediately stopped play and awarded Monfils the point, before Murray’s forehand was called out. Murray strolled to the chair and the French crowd grew restive, booing and shouting while Murray engaged in a conversation with the arbiter. The galleries assumed that Murray was complaining about the point being given to Monfils, but in a lengthy monologue recorded by Neil Harman of the Times of London, Murray later set the record straight. Hang onto your hats, now:

Murray told Harman, “The rule is that that it is not a let when the ball comes out of my pocket, when it’s on my side, because you can’t interfere with your own shot. I didn’t know this. I thought if your hat falls off or a ball comes out of your pocket, it was immediately a let. But it only becomes a let once the ball has passed the net.”