• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN’s Chris Fowler brings the UCFacts

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it should be in context and given that UCFHonors has called many people on here t-shirt bandwagoners or something like that, that they are basically a fan of a team when they never went to school there so....

giphy.gif
He even calls fans that went to their fandom school, T-shirt fans if they are not Over the top troll homers.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bullshit lol.

Absolutely 09 had an impact on 2010 TCU being ranked where they were. But it still fails to acknowledge how they got that high in the first place considering 09 TCU only played two ranked opponents (#16 BYU and #16 Utah) before losing to #6 Boise State in the bowl game. 2009 TCUs opponent records total 90-74. 2017 UCFs was better. Barely, but better nonetheless.

Also 2010 TCU played #24 Oregon State, not Oklahoma state. An Oregon State team that finished 5-7 (typical fuckin Riley). How are you gauging which conference was better? I mean UCFs opponents had a better overall record and more teams finished ranked.

2010 TCU was ranked inside the top 4 from week 6 on in the AP and week 7 on in the Coaches. Ultimately finishing #2 after the bowl game. Many were clamoring for them to get in, but the BCS wouldn't have it and arguably rightfully so. Their schedule was weak as balls. 2010 TCU played 2 teams that finished ranked (Utah and Wisconsin). Their opponents record totalled 79-85 with one FCS opponent that went 5-6. Nothing to indicate that they deserved to be as high as they were outside of the subjective "eye test". Likewise in 2017, UCF struggled to even break the top 10 (not actually doing so until their bowl with Auburn). They played 3 teams that finished ranked(South Florida, Memphis, and Auburn) and UCF opponent record totals 91-73 with one FCS opponent that went 8-4. UCF also had two games cancelled. Splitting hair here, but UCF also beat Auburn (who beat the NC winner in Bama) by a larger margin than 2010 TCU beat Wisconsin.

Now I am by no means claiming that UCF should have been in the playoff, but let's not act naive and act as though they can simply up and join a different conference at will or that they can schedule anyone and everyone whenever they want. We have all read opinions on how P5 schools will stop scheduling teams like UCF due to the way the playoff sits. There needs to be parity in my opinion and outside of forcing a realignment to arguably even out the conference so no conference has too many great teams at a time, the easiest and most beneficial (as far as fans and money) way is to expand the playoff in such a way that gives the most opportunity. Or G5 should be its own league so they have a real opportunity to win a title like the FCS does.

That BYU team that lost to 2009 TCU beat Oklahoma who was the pre-season #3, sure they didn't finish there, but the rankings are fluid and Oklahoma was still ranked when TCU beat BYU. By the same token 2017 Memphis got ranked because they beat a ranked UCLA after their miracle win against Texas A&M, but finished 6-7 and 4-5 in the PAC and beating a ranked 5-0 Navy team that finished 7-6, which is pretty good considering 7 wins was the most by any team Memphis beat, the teams Memphis beat in '17 were a combined 48-74...but they were a top 25 team? Why? Because they took UCF to 2 overtimes?

That pales in comparison to South Florida...#21 you say. LOL, the teams South Florida beat were a combined 44-80, take out 10-3 FCS Stony Brook and that drop to 34-77, lol, sweet jesus...the best team they beat was 7-6 Temple, which of course is the only team they beat over .500, but the AAC is better because they had more ranked teams, lol, what a farce. Good thing Memphis and USF didn't play each other.

The best team any AAC team beat prior to the bowls games was UCLA...lol.

TCU built their 2010 ranking on the back of their 23-3 2008 and 2009 seasons. UCF built theirs on the back of 6-19 and beating teams whose wins are over teams that went a combined 92-154...what a joke. So yeah, when you say UCF's opponent record was better than TCU's, I say no shit sherlock, that's what happens when you play 10 win teams that beat up on a collection of 3 and 4 win teams.

As for your playoff analysis...if the G5 wanted to break off and play for their own title, they would have already done it, they don't because there isn't any money in it. Nor is there a big push by ESPN to expand the playoffs, because they are concerned about how it would impact the NY6 bowls that they already have the rights to, and the 15 lesser bowls they own. Now, if P5 conferences want to take the same money and spread it over 5 games instead of 3, I'm sure ESPN would get on board with that.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That BYU team that lost to 2009 TCU beat Oklahoma who was the pre-season #3, sure they didn't finish there, but the rankings are fluid and Oklahoma was still ranked when TCU beat BYU. By the same token 2017 Memphis got ranked because they beat a ranked UCLA after their miracle win against Texas A&M, but finished 6-7 and 4-5 in the PAC and beating a ranked 5-0 Navy team that finished 7-6, which is pretty good considering 7 wins was the most by any team Memphis beat, the teams Memphis beat in '17 were a combined 48-74...but they were a top 25 team? Why? Because they took UCF to 2 overtimes?

Not trying to be rude here, but what the hell are you talking about? For starters, who cares that BYU beat #3 Oklahoma... OU finished unranked and 8-5 that year. That is actually an argument to show that BYU was overrated... which hurts your TCU argument as again, it doesn't justify TCU being ranked that high. Especially when you realize that TCU didn't beat BYU until week 8 where BYUs opponents at that point in time of the season records totaled 20-31

OU was 4-3
Tulane was 2-5
FSU was 3-4
CSU was 3-5
USU was 2-5
UNLV was 3-5
SDSU was 3-4

Telling me that BYU should be ranked #16 with a 6-1 record over terrible competition? And BYU got DESTROYED by a bad FSU team 54-28. Game was over by halftime. And keep in mind that is one of the wins listed for FSU above. If we don't count that, then FSU would be 2-4.

Secondly, no. Memphis beat UCLA in week 2. Memphis wasn't ranked in the AP until week 7 being 5-1 and coming off of beating #25 Navy. Memphis wasn't ranked in the Coaches until week 9 where they were 7-1. But I don't see why this matters anyway. I think you may be misinterpreting my argument. I am not arguing that Memphis should or should not be ranked, I don't care. It's irrelevant. All of us could pick apart the rankings, but the fact remains that they were ranked.

That pales in comparison to South Florida...#21 you say. LOL, the teams South Florida beat were a combined 44-80, take out 10-3 FCS Stony Brook and that drop to 34-77, lol, sweet jesus...the best team they beat was 7-6 Temple, which of course is the only team they beat over .500, but the AAC is better because they had more ranked teams, lol, what a farce. Good thing Memphis and USF didn't play each other.

Don't like the facts, so you try to discredit them. I get it lol. Look man, I am not saying they should or shouldn't be ranked. I am just stating a fact... they were. We could break down the opponents of UCF... but then we will have to break down the opponents of the opponents... and so on and so on until we realize that somehow the local YMCA in Montana somehow actually won the National title that year (bummer to UCF lol). I understand where you are trying to go and trying to prove that UCFs opponents while having a decent record, didn't play anybody. But again, fact is that 2010 TCUs opponents (the teams that TCU actually played) had a combined record of 79-85.

I'm sorry but... 91-73 > 79-85 in a sport that asks what you've done for me today.

But I will say this. Your second to last paragraph (still talking about TCU) does raise a good point. The fact that TCU had a few years to build... I guess what could be viewed as the "trust" of the voters, could be all the difference. UCF does not have that as they were about 2-3 years out of their most recent strong performances (2013). So with that, I think you do make a good point.

tenor.gif

Good stuff.

However, 64 team playoff > Bowl games + 4 team playoff.

Last edited:

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@UCFhonors, did you matriculate at UCF? Earn a degree? If so, will you post a pic of your diploma?
Since when does that matter? I think he is way over the top but his fandom shouldnt be challenged if he didnt attend there.

I don't respect tshirt bandwagoners. In UCFact, I despise them.

Of course I'm a UCF Alum. Not only was I a Honors College student, / current alum, I was the Top Honors student. I received the prestigious reward during my UCFreshman year.

Since then, I have go on to do some amazing things including becoming a known figure at practices, and building real UCFriendship with the coaches.

#UCFacts

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Opponent Overall Wins and Losses that are on the schedule for 2019
69-71

OOC 21-18
in conference 48-53

2018 bowl records of opponents that are on the schedule for 2019
3-4
Stanford and Pittsburgh played each other in a bowl game so the bowl record could have been 2-5 or 4-3.

2019 UCF schedule is not exactly tough.

no idea how that compares to other teams like BYU, Boise State, Utah State, or Fresno State.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course I'm a UCF Alum. Not only was I a Honors College student, / current alum, I was the Top Honors student. I received the prestigious reward during my UCFreshman year.

Since then, I have go on to do some amazing things including becoming a known figure at practices, and building real UCFriendship with the coaches.

#UCFacts
What was the reward?

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 10 years win percentage vs Power 5 teams

Houston 65%
Boise State 60%
Cincinnati 57.5%
BYU 40%
Navy 38%
Northern Illinois 31.8%
UCF 30.4%

BYU and Northern Illinois percentage boosted by beating Nebraska
Fresno State who is not on this list is 0-3 vs Nebraska in the last 10 years

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#UCFacts

I was at a UCF practice right before it was confirmed Scott Frost was coming to Nebraska, I believe it was the UCF USF game coming up that Thanksgiving weekend. I was even wearing my nebraska sweatshirt while I walked around the stadium and watched a little of practice.

I am sure you saw me.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the reward?

Honors student of the year - UCFullscholarship and part of it was being invited to the National Collegiate Honors Council’s National Conversation. No research required like most attendees. I was there just to be honored.

#UCFacts

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honors student of the year - UCFullscholarship and part of it was being invited to the National Collegiate Honors Council’s National Conversation. No research required like most attendees. I was there just to be honored.

#UCFacts
Ok, but you said that there was a reward.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#UCFacts

I have guess you not English major. #UCFuckingbutcheringthelanguage

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder if this nonsense will continue when UCF starts out
2-2?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder if this nonsense will continue when UCF starts out
2-2?

Stanford will be interesting, but I think they have the power to beat Pitt (and obviously Florida A&M and FAU). They get Stanford at home too.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford will be interesting, but I think they have the power to beat Pitt (and obviously Florida A&M and FAU). They get Stanford at home too.

If Kiffen beats UCF does that make UCF the 5th best team in Florida or are they still 4th?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kiffen beats UCF does that make UCF the 5th best team in Florida or are they still 4th?

Lol it depends HOW they lose. Given that FSU is REALLY bad right now. Miami isn't great by any stretch... Florida is clearly #1... UCF could be #2 right now.

Losing to FAU... would probably move Miami above them. But FSU will stay put til I see any sort of semblance of an offensive line show up.