• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ervin Santana can be had on a 1 year deal. Mariners not interested

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Blue Jays and O's have both offered Ervin Santana a 1 year deal and he is deciding between the two.

Looks like the Mariners couldn't spare $14m for 1 year while our pitching situation is looking grim.

Knowing that we could've added Santana and Morales on 1 year deals and have obviously refused to, makes me indescribably livid.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/blue-jays-to-sign-ervin-santana.html

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We poor. Will be selling off the new big screen to make payroll by mid year. Please take pity on our ownership group. They mean well.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Z went on KJR on friday and pretty much point blank said no on Santana and doubtful on Morales. Essentially cited budget concerns which we all know is a bunch of fluff. I guess we as fans are the dumb ones thinking things would change after the Cano signing.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Z went on KJR on friday and pretty much point blank said no on Santana and doubtful on Morales. Essentially cited budget concerns which we all know is a bunch of fluff. I guess we as fans are the dumb ones thinking things would change after the Cano signing.

Hilarious how I always fall for this organization's tactics. By signing Cano I actually believed they were willing to spend money to build a winner, mostly because I didn't think they would be stupid enough to tie up $240m in one player without supplementing that signing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep saying Mariners are like the old side-show entertainers. They tell you to watch their right hand while their left hand is picking your pocket. They are the great illusionist. See $240M is a ton of money, while $85M payroll remains the same.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be craftiness in the making. "Well, we know we can't realistically sign him, but let's go ahead and make it hard as hell for anyone else trying to sign him and cause them to jack up their asking price because there are "interested teams" out there".

Santana followed his agent from Proformance (who resigned from said agency) so it's hard to determine if this is all fluff and speculation from their end.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone heard anything recently about any teams making a play for Morales? I'm going to assume that his options remain limited to American League teams, but given how well he held up last year and how productive he was relative to expectations, you would think that someone would have made a serious run at him by now, but I really haven't heard anything other than who isn't interested.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL only like you said and draft pick compensation has limited his vale big tie. That is why I say give him a 1 year deal around $10M with the guarantee of not tagging him again making him a free agent after the season with no pick associated with him. Win-win.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there going to be a time, maybe once the regular season starts, when the draft pick compensation will no longer be in effect or is that in effect for as long as he remains unsigned? If the limited number of teams that had interest in him to begin with are just waiting things out until they no longer have to give up a draft pick to sign him, Boras might be deliberately asking for more than the M's are willing to offer in the hopes that, once the draft pick compensation is no longer in play, he can get what he's asking for from one of the teams that would still presumably have interest. Other than the M's being selectively cheap, is there another viable angle to all of this?

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh you're assuming he even wants to play here for 1 mill. I bet it takes more to come here, you're forgetting this is SEATTLE BASEBALL.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there going to be a time, maybe once the regular season starts, when the draft pick compensation will no longer be in effect or is that in effect for as long as he remains unsigned? If the limited number of teams that had interest in him to begin with are just waiting things out until they no longer have to give up a draft pick to sign him, Boras might be deliberately asking for more than the M's are willing to offer in the hopes that, once the draft pick compensation is no longer in play, he can get what he's asking for from one of the teams that would still presumably have interest. Other than the M's being selectively cheap, is there another viable angle to all of this?

After the draft in June I believe is when the draft pick comp. tag is removed. Which would be lame for us bc if we aren't signing him I'm hoping someone else will soon so we can get that damn pick! :L

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the draft in June I believe is when the draft pick comp. tag is removed. Which would be lame for us bc if we aren't signing him I'm hoping someone else will soon so we can get that damn pick! :L

That's longer than I thought, but thinking about it now it does make sense. Obviously I'd rather we just signed him now and helped ourselves that way, but I can't imagine that a healthy, productive player is going to go completely unsigned by anyone heading into June just because of a draft pick. I know he's limited in terms of positions he can play, but that describes a lot of 1B/DH-types and quite a few of them can't hit as well as Morales can. At some point, if the M's don't sign him first, a team is gonna bite the draft pick bullet because they need a productive switch-hitting 1B/DH and I think he'll be the best one available.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per ESPN, E. Santana signed a 1 year/ 14.1 million dollar deal with Atlanta. Sweet rotation we got going on...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the M's went into the offseason desperately needing the following:

1) add good defensive outfielders (FAIL)
2) add 1 or *gasp* even 2 quality RHB (UTTER FAIL...WE ACTUALLY MANAGED TO SUBTRACT FROM THIS)
3) add pieces to supplement the bullpen (FAIL)
4) add middle-bottom of the rotation guys to compete for a spot (FAIL)

I truly wonder if even finishing behind the (AAA)stros would make a difference to this indifferent front office.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the M's went into the offseason desperately needing the following:

1) add good defensive outfielders (FAIL)
2) add 1 or *gasp* even 2 quality RHB (UTTER FAIL...WE ACTUALLY MANAGED TO SUBTRACT FROM THIS)
3) add pieces to supplement the bullpen (FAIL)
4) add middle-bottom of the rotation guys to compete for a spot (FAIL)

I truly wonder if even finishing behind the (AAA)stros would make a difference to this indifferent front office.

Probably not.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners can't spend any more money because they are lining to pay lawyers and lobbyists to keep hockey out of the Seattle area.

Is there any legislation that can be passed that the Mariners have to spend money on a contender or otherwise forfeit that stadium? Much like the law in Kansas that forces Kansas and Wichita State and Kansas to play?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Blue Jays and O's have both offered Ervin Santana a 1 year deal and he is deciding between the two.

Looks like the Mariners couldn't spare $14m for 1 year while our pitching situation is looking grim.

Knowing that we could've added Santana and Morales on 1 year deals and have obviously refused to, makes me indescribably livid.

Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

That's exactly how the Mariners work.. Do just enough to try and excite the fan base BUT don't do enough to actually have a chance to win the division… Normal..