• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Erik Karlsson to Sharks

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Shit

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stole him...but happy he went to SJ, he is not a good dman at all. Sure a ton of points but nobody you want out there playing any kind of tough minutes or top lines.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stole him...but happy he went to SJ, he is not a good dman at all. Sure a ton of points but nobody you want out there playing any kind of tough minutes or top lines.

Their PP is gonna be scary (It already was), but, to your point, Burns and Karlsson are not what one would call "Shut down defensemen".

I mean, they missed on Tavares, so more power to them for getting the biggest available dude out there. Interested to see if they resign him and have long term plans for him. $11mil/year is probably what he's looking for, right?

Karlsson, Kane, Kovalchuk opening night Staples Center.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly, I like watching footage of him just to see how out of position he usually is in his end and also seeing him on the bench when it's 2-1 opposition with under :30 left. That to me is not worth $11 million but hey, I'm not a GM.

Yes, their PP will be scary with both Burns and Karlsson, but honestly at ES I can't see him racking up as many points as he did in the EC. Different game out West, and being more of a finesse player I see struggles coming his way. They essentially have two rovers on their blue line at all times with he and Burns, should be interesting to see how Jones is affected by that.

Curious as well about an extension, they have about $25 million in projected cap space for 2019 but also have 12 free agents (6 RFA, 6 UFA) including guys like Donskoi and Pavelski as well as young talent on ELCs like Labanc who will due for decent bumps. I'm pretty sure it's the end of Thornton next summer but Pavelski is their captain and Donskoi is 26 and someone they will want to retain but it'll be at a lot more than the $1.9 million he is making now.

Unless they do some massive salary shedding, it's going to be really tough to keep everyone who makes a difference and add Karlsson on an extension.

They are making their run this year and it's pretty much a one time shot.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this gem this morning:

Pacific Peeks: Los Angeles Kings

To preface, I agree that the Kings' Cup contention window is just about shut. Key phrase, "just about". I think this year is the last realistic year LA has a shot at the Cup with this group of players.

However, when you have future HOF players in every major position who are still playing well for their age, all just had exceptional seasons and the Kings still made the POs without any secondary scoring, well I don't want to make you sound like you're an idiot, but you're an idiot. We've seen far worse teams either win a Cup or make it to the SCFs on far less than LA has so I think he has his King hating blinders on in mist of the article.

Just to clarify then, since the Sharks are "a contender" let's see how they have done since the Kings' first Cup: in the POs they have a 33-30 record (.524 WP) and have been out of the second round a whopping 1 time, their miracle run to the SCFs in 2015-16. This includes a year they didn't qualify (2014-15), making the POs 6/7 years since (86%).

LA's PO stats in the same span: 42-31 (.575 WP), 3 WCFs appearances, 2 SCF appearances, 2 Cup wins. This includes 2 years where they didn't qualify (2014-15, 2016-17) making the POs 5/7 years since (71%). This also includes the franchise lowlight for SJ, being up 3-0 against LA in the WCQFs only to watch them go win a second Cup.

Since the 2013-14 Cup win for LA, the Kings have gone 1-8 (.11 WP - ouch), Sharks 22-18 (.55 WP). This is obviously where the meat of their argument is, and you can't really refute that. However, I consider not making the POs (LA) and making them but not going far (SJ) pretty much the same thing - it sucks. But if you take out the 2015-16 SCF run for SJ - which was a fluke, let's be honest here - their PO record is 8-8 (.500 WP).

That is nothing to pat yourself on the back for, contending teams should have much higher standards. This jabroni needs a dose of reality.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a gem, all right. Here are a couple of my favorite lines:

"I don’t think it’s going to be as hard to beat LA this year as it has been in year’s past, especially with Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns roaming the San Jose blue line."

I don't think they will be around the blue line much, mostly the faceoff dots in the offensive zone!

"When we last saw the Los Angeles Kings, they were getting humiliated by the Vegas Golden Knights"

Guessing he didn't watch any of these games and just looked at the series stat line. Every single game could have gone either way. Also with Doughty getting hosed on the suspension, all we needed was just a small uptick in offensive firepower. A healthy Carter and now Kovalchuk, I'd like our chances in a do-over on that series.

"Jonathan Quick is still a dependable, steady goaltender."

He makes it sound like a solid 3-5 MLB starting pitcher that's an innings eater. What? Quick is an elite goaltender in this league. Dependable and steady I think would be a better description of Martin Jones.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a gem, all right. Here are a couple of my favorite lines:

"I don’t think it’s going to be as hard to beat LA this year as it has been in year’s past, especially with Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns roaming the San Jose blue line."

I don't think they will be around the blue line much, mostly the faceoff dots in the offensive zone!

That's exactly my thinking, Jones better be sharp because I see a lot more breakaways coming his way when those two are out there together and when Karlsson is out there solo.

Pretty good reads all over about who the Sharks should pair him with, they have a solid shutdown pair in Vlasic/Braun but apart they don't play well with others which is making it difficult to see who Karlsson will be paired with. The expected tandem to start the season is Karlsson/Vlasic.

"When we last saw the Los Angeles Kings, they were getting humiliated by the Vegas Golden Knights"
Guessing he didn't watch any of these games and just looked at the series stat line. Every single game could have gone either way. Also with Doughty getting hosed on the suspension, all we needed was just a small uptick in offensive firepower. A healthy Carter and now Kovalchuk, I'd like our chances in a do-over on that series.

I'm guessing he didn't watch any SJ games either, when we last saw the SJ Sharks they lost Game 6 on home ice 3-0 to lose the series 2-4 to those same Vegas Knights.

=)~~

And I agree, that series was a lot closer than a 4-0 sweep indicated. I still disagree with the suspension on Doughty, and keep in mind Forbort/Doughty/Muzzin were all out in Game 2 with Forbort not playing in the series at all and Muzzin coming in to Game 3 not at 100% with the shoulder.

Injuries are not an excuse, next man up, but when 3 of your top 4 defenders are out it'll affect any game's outcome and I haven't even mentioned Toffoli and Brown who missed wide open nets that would have changed the complexion of both those games.

"Jonathan Quick is still a dependable, steady goaltender."
He makes it sound like a solid 3-5 MLB starting pitcher that's an innings eater. What? Quick is an elite goaltender in this league. Dependable and steady I think would be a better description of Martin Jones.

I agree, Quick is top 3 in my book and has been for most of this decade. He has had a cast of goalies come and go around him in this group - Lundqvist, Crawford, etc. - but he has remained a constant along with Price in my opinion.

The biggest difference between him and others is the ability to deliver the big save when they need it more often than not.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was happy when ek went to sharks....on the ice for 17 of vgk goals so far haha

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooooo overrated as defenseman
Put him at center where he belongs
While you're at it, put Burns back on a wing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's pretty crazy to watch Burns and Karlsson.

Fanboys are saying Karlsson is hurt, which maybe he is, but he was on the ice for 10 of the first 14 Knights' goals in the series. That's Jack Johnson level.

Watching Burns in Game 7, and he turns the puck over minimum 5 times a game. Watch him on the tying goal for the Knights. He is not guarding anyone in front of the net and his lets his man tie the game. It's wild to think with all that on the line, he's being so casual.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's pretty crazy to watch Burns and Karlsson.

Fanboys are saying Karlsson is hurt, which maybe he is, but he was on the ice for 10 of the first 14 Knights' goals in the series. That's Jack Johnson level.

Watching Burns in Game 7, and he turns the puck over minimum 5 times a game. Watch him on the tying goal for the Knights. He is not guarding anyone in front of the net and his lets his man tie the game. It's wild to think with all that on the line, he's being so casual.

There is a great article in The Athletic where Doughty literally calls out Burns for being a turnover machine and questioning why guys like him and Karlsson are Norris candidates yearly. He is absolutely correct too, for all the offense they may provide they are defensive liabilities every time on the ice.

Watched the game yesterday and Karlsson looks like he is injured again with the groin.