• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

END OF THE SEASON MUSINGS

RoyHobbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I would like to congratulate the 2013 Bruins for finishing out the year at 9-3. The team is making progress considering we were stuck in a holding pattern the years from 08-11 and Jim Mora has definitely brought a new attitude to UCLA. It was difficult to end the 2012 season with three straight losses and I still don't believe a CCG is the right direction for the PAC-12. Unfortunately, all of the other major conferences have gone to this format so I guess our hands are tied.

So Dan Guerrero steps up to the plate and locks in CJM to a 6 year extension, with the usual 2 million dollar buy out option. I guess he was afraid that Mora might be tempted to take his " dream job " if offered by the Huskies. Time will tell if he eventually bolts. For those that want to read up on the extension, here is the link.
Jim Mora agrees to six-year extension to stay at UCLA - CBSSports.com

So where do we go from here ? We know that Brett Hundley is coming back for one more year. That will be his third year as the starting QB, so it's time for him to put it all together and prove that he can guide the Bruins consistently each & every game. I think it's important for Mora to get Myles Jack established as either a linebacker or a starting RB. You don't see the top 10 teams pulling a stunt like this.

We finished the year with an overall defensive rating of 50, which means our offense has to carry a larger load than it should. Mora really needs to recruit harder on the Defensive side ( getting a player like Vanderdoes was a step in the right direction ). We also need to start grooming Hundley's replacement as I really believe that if he has a great season in 2014 that he will bolt for the pros.
All in all I grade the Bruin season as a " B ", at least we are moving in the right direction.
What say you VitaMike ?
:suds:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I would like to congratulate the 2013 Bruins for finishing out the year at 9-3. The team is making progress considering we were stuck in a holding pattern the years from 08-11 and Jim Mora has definitely brought a new attitude to UCLA. It was difficult to end the 2012 season with three straight losses and I still don't believe a CCG is the right direction for the PAC-12. Unfortunately, all of the other major conferences have gone to this format so I guess our hands are tied.

So Dan Guerrero steps up to the plate and locks in CJM to a 6 year extension, with the usual 2 million dollar buy out option. I guess he was afraid that Mora might be tempted to take his " dream job " if offered by the Huskies. Time will tell if he eventually bolts. For those that want to read up on the extension, here is the link.
Jim Mora agrees to six-year extension to stay at UCLA - CBSSports.com

So where do we go from here ? We know that Brett Hundley is coming back for one more year. That will be his third year as the starting QB, so it's time for him to put it all together and prove that he can guide the Bruins consistently each & every game. I think it's important for Mora to get Myles Jack established as either a linebacker or a starting RB. You don't see the top 10 teams pulling a stunt like this.

We finished the year with an overall defensive rating of 50, which means our offense has to carry a larger load than it should. Mora really needs to recruit harder on the Defensive side ( getting a player like Vanderdoes was a step in the right direction ). We also need to start grooming Hundley's replacement as I really believe that if he has a great season in 2014 that he will bolt for the pros.
All in all I grade the Bruin season as a " B ", at least we are moving in the right direction.
What say you VitaMike ?
:suds:
Well said RoyHobbs! I could really spend some more time over here and maybe as CBB gets going I will. This board will not grow unless we keep it active, however it's been a busy time at work of late with all the short weeks we have during the holidays and a late vacations this year I've been MIA.

Now to the season musings...

CJM, IMO, inherited a pretty good foundation left by CRN but to Jimbo's credit, he has taken that foundation and kept it going in the right direction. I am happy he stayed and signed the extension and that he used UW's interest to garner better deals for himself and his staff. This will keep the continuity together for at least another year and maybe get the training facilities built sooner than later.

Not sure why you have a problem with the CCG for the PAC12. I would like to see a CCG for all AQ schools however the CCG loser is often left out for the better bowls. Maybe this changes as the BCS playoff system evolves It will be interesting to see next years CFB season reveal itself and the dynamics moving forward with the 4 team playoffs for the NT.

Actually I didn't know Brett was coming back until I read your post. I've checked it out a few times however this is 'good' news to me. :yahoo: He needs another year IMO before he declares himself for the draft, good to see him coming back. Now with Brett in tow, we have a legit shot for a Title run for the first time since the 80's, however it wont be easy. I can't wait to see the schedule as our toughest conference road game will be @ ASU. As it stands today it looks like Oregon, Stanford and USC will all be in Pasadena and who knows, maybe this is the year we skip Stanford? :noidea: LOL Now watch, it will probably be Cal:lol:

As far as next years improvements go, I really want to see CJM put the clamps down on the penalties. We will continue to struggle in the big picture if that is not fixed. Other than that you are spot on regarding our defense.

Here's to a Sun Bowl victory Dec 31th! :suds:

MrBug708

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA will never skip Stanford

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA will never skip Stanford
Why is that MrBug?

I thought every year all South teams skipped one North team and vise versa on a rotational basis since we went to a two Division Conference.

For instance, last season we skipped Oregon & this season we skipped Oregon State.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why is that MrBug?

I thought every year all South teams skipped one North team and vise versa on a rotational basis since we went to a two Division Conference.

For instance, last season we skipped Oregon & this season we skipped Oregon State.

Cal and Stanford didn't want to sacrifice trips to SoCal for recruiting purposes and rivalries. They made it a requirement that all California teams play every year as a condition for admitting CU and Utah into the Pac.

Also, I didn't see Hundley was staying. When was this announced? Hopefully it's true.

I'll play along and post some of my musings.

I really like the direction the program is heading. It has built in a toughness that hasn't been there for as long as I can remember. A win in the Sun Bowl would be huge for the program. The team won 9 games last year in 14 chances. If it wins the Sun Bowl this year's team will have won 10 games in 13 attempts. That seems like only a moderate improvement but the schedule this season was much much tougher. Stanford, USC, Nebraska and Utah were all on the road this season compared to home last year. Oregon on the road was subbed in for OSU at home and Washington subbed in for WSU. Only ASU at home was easier than ASU on the road. I predicted 8 or 9 wins before the season and the team would still be better than last season. They have a real shot at 10.

Also, I think you guys are being hard on the defense. It improved throughout the year and has a lot of athletes. They lose Barr and Zumwalt next year but have a lot of depth in the front 7. Don't forget that Owa is returning off an injury redshirt. We have a ton of youth in both the front 7 and the secondary returning and the experience should only make them better next year.

IMO the offense was the issue once Torian White went down. Hopefully Suofilo stays. The RB position is an issue. We are losing a couple running backs but hopefully some return to form after injuries. But we ran out of backs and had to go to Jack. I prefer Jack as a LB. You are correct in that he needs to be used mainly on one side of the ball. You have to really limit the playbook when he is in offensively.

Moving on to next year the schedule moves back to UCLA's favor a little. ASU, UW and Texas on the road (or Dallas) will all be tough but winnable games. Most of our toughest contests will all be at home though. Stanford, Oregon and USC will all be home games.

The recruiting class is shaping up nicely. For the second year in a row, the DB class is going to be insane and UCLA isn't done recruiting there. This year UCLA also has a nice commitment list at WR and might not be done there either. One area of concern is the lack of linemen (especially offensive) so far. RB is also a concern as none are committed but hopefully Joe Mixon (#2 in the country) comes in. RB Craig Lee will also play next year.

Next year should be a year when a playoff spot or a BCS quality bowl. I think that means our only loss can be to Oregon.