• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eloy is tearing it up, so let's bring him up!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been especially hot since Kopech got called up, hitting .621 (18/29) with two doubles, a triple, five RBIs and six runs during that stretch. I also want to see the Sox bring up some of the ML pitchers, in particular Ian Hamilton, who has been pitching lights out in a relief role. And as last night's choke of a game will confirm, suffering Sox fans know we need to replenish the pen big time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're running out of excuses to keep Eloy down through mid-April of next season. I know the FO may be focused on the extra year of control. However, at this point... I worry about our future centerpiece growing unhappy. He's already expressed how ready he is a multitude of times. He wants to be a star in Chicago and we're very fortunate to have him.

The last thing you want is his representation filing a grievance. Which, at this point... they'd have a good case for.

This is drawing a lot of comparisons to Kris Bryant. At least the Cubs had Bryant's "defense" to fall back on as an excuse. We have nothing.

AAA teams are playing four outfielders against him on a regular basis. This is little league stuff. It's getting a tad silly.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're running out of excuses to keep Eloy down through mid-April of next season. I know the FO may be focused on the extra year of control. However, at this point... I worry about our future centerpiece growing unhappy. He's already expressed how ready he is a multitude of times. He wants to be a star in Chicago and we're very fortunate to have him.

The last thing you want is his representation filing a grievance. Which, at this point... they'd have a good case for.

This is drawing a lot of comparisons to Kris Bryant. At least the Cubs had Bryant's "defense" to fall back on as an excuse. We have nothing.

AAA teams are playing four outfielders against him on a regular basis. This is little league stuff. It's getting a tad silly.

i totally disagree here. he's 21 and in what we consider his first year of pro ball. his representatives would look foolish filing some kind of grievance just because his numbers are good (very good) in 103 games of minor league ball. doesn't matter who compares him to whoever. throw in the fact we simply do NOT need him! he should stay where he is and learn all the ins and outs he can.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The conversation is not about getting called up. It's about what he's got to do today," Andy Tomberlin said. "He's really focused on his job, on what he needs to do today, where he's at. I think that helps him focus on what he's doing, because if his mind was getting ready for a callup, I don't think he'd be in the moment to compete the way he is.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLUS!

i was hoping for more out of luis robert by now but he's struggling in low ball. it's early for him but, no power and .235 in A ball. i know he was injured, but still ....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLUS!

i was hoping for more out of luis robert by now but he's struggling in low ball. it's early for him but, no power and .235 in A ball. i know he was injured, but still ....
Fortunately, it didn't appear from the outset that we'd see Robert anytime soon, even if he was tearing it up down there. With his present situation of injuries and struggles at the plate, I'm thinking a 2021/2022 timeframe for him to make it to the Bigs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i totally disagree here. he's 21 and in what we consider his first year of pro ball. his representatives would look foolish filing some kind of grievance just because his numbers are good (very good) in 103 games of minor league ball. doesn't matter who compares him to whoever. throw in the fact we simply do NOT need him! he should stay where he is and learn all the ins and outs he can.

Well, I hear you and understand both sides. However, when you've gotten to a point where a league is playing four outfielders against you and you're posting numbers like the 11 year old kid in Little League who hit puberty before everyone else. Isn't that a rather clear indication that he's moved beyond this stage of his career? I don't think there's anything left for him at that level. He's got it beat.

I am no sports psychologist. However, I do think it's human nature to sort of mentally plateau in that situation as well.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hear you and understand both sides. However, when you've gotten to a point where a league is playing four outfielders against you and you're posting numbers like the 11 year old kid in Little League who hit puberty before everyone else. Isn't that a rather clear indication that he's moved beyond this stage of his career? I don't think there's anything left for him at that level. He's got it beat.

I am no sports psychologist. However, I do think it's human nature to sort of mentally plateau in that situation as well.

well, it's not 'a league'. it's one team.
and no, i don't see it as the only indication. i think it's a good thing to let him stay with his team and learn all the 'non-hitting' things he can. without us being there we can't really tell how his maturation process is coming along but the team brass seems to agree there's no reason for him to move up yet.
don't be so impatient. being 73, that SHOULD be my job! :D

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
September is an excellent time for bringing prospects up, especially when your team is out of the playoff hunt, as is ours. There's not nearly as much pressure for them to perform, and they get a nice dose of major league experience while not playing under the fishbowl of a hot playoff chase. I'm not sure how this would affect the future contract status. If by him playing in September it would cost the Sox a full year of retaining rights, then I would at least understand not bringing him up. However, if there is no negative impact to the retention issue, then to me it's a no-brainer. Let the kid play.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
September is an excellent time for bringing prospects up, especially when your team is out of the playoff hunt, as is ours. There's not nearly as much pressure for them to perform, and they get a nice dose of major league experience while not playing under the fishbowl of a hot playoff chase. I'm not sure how this would affect the future contract status. If by him playing in September it would cost the Sox a full year of retaining rights, then I would at least understand not bringing him up. However, if there is no negative impact to the retention issue, then to me it's a no-brainer. Let the kid play.
well that negative impact is the thing, isn't it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that negative impact is the thing, isn't it.
I don't know, is it? That's why I stated it that way. I honestly don't know if Eloy playing in September would cost the Sox an entire year of retention rights. If it does, then I probably lean toward not bringing him up. But that's the ONLY reason. And if it doesn't, then as I said, no brainer, promote him.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it may be a no brainer for you but it's not for hahn. hahn doesn't feel he's ready. don't know the reason but that's his take ... like i said, we don't know what other things they feel he needs work on. PLUS, it is my understanding that you bring him up now you lose that extra year of control.
again, there's no reason to bring him up. the fact fans want to see him means nothing! we will see him when the sox say he's ready.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know if Hahn doesn't feel he's ready or if that's just GM-speak for not wanting to risk that extra year of control, which apparently he's already lost by bringing up his other star prospect, Kopech. I just stated previously if it is indeed true that by bringing Eloy up this coming month, the Sox lose a year of control, then I'm pretty much in agreement to keep him off the roster. But to say he's not ready with his current stats to play for a club that is already out of the running for the postseason is complete bush.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know if Hahn doesn't feel he's ready or if that's just GM-speak for not wanting to risk that extra year of control, which apparently he's already lost by bringing up his other star prospect, Kopech. I just stated previously if it is indeed true that by bringing Eloy up this coming month, the Sox lose a year of control, then I'm pretty much in agreement to keep him off the roster. But to say he's not ready with his current stats to play for a club that is already out of the running for the postseason is complete bush.

lsd, we don't know the reasons. we can only guess. you don't go by batting average alone to determine when someone is ready to be promoted. there's guys who haven't hit nearly as high, at this point, who were deemed absolutely ready and guys who have hit higher who were considered not ready. team need is also a big factor. if all we went by were a few basic stats then we could all be gm's couldn't we?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree with you. And yes, stats never tell the whole story. But there is no explanation known to mankind that will convince me there were other reasons for not bringing up Eloy this month outside the very logical and sensible reason of the additional year of control by waiting until next Spring after the '19 season starts. The brass can spin it every which way til Christmas and none of it will come close to making me believe anything but the control factor.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it may be a no brainer for you but it's not for hahn. hahn doesn't feel he's ready. don't know the reason but that's his take ... like i said, we don't know what other things they feel he needs work on. PLUS, it is my understanding that you bring him up now you lose that extra year of control.
again, there's no reason to bring him up. the fact fans want to see him means nothing! we will see him when the sox say he's ready.
That's my take on it, also.

It's a FO biz decision ... the kid is gonna have to live with it and, possibly, wait until next year.