• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Edgar Renteria not retiring this year

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ORLANDO -- Edgar Renteria, the 2010 World Series MVP, has decided against retirement and will return for at least one more year in Major League Baseball.

"I'm staying, I feel that I still have a lot of baseball in my body," Renteria said Saturday to ESPNdeportes.com from his home in Miami.

"[On] Monday I have a very important meeting with my agents to talk about my future, but I have already decided I will keep playing. That's all I can say until I meet with them," Renteria said.

Renteria, 34, had hinted he could retire after the 2010 season, when he had three stints on the disabled list and appeared in only 72 games for the San Francisco Giants.

But the Colombian-born shortstop played great defense and averaged .412 with two homers and six RBIs to lead the Giants to their first World Championship in 56 years and their first title since moving West from New York in 1958.

Renteria was the first South American player and eighth Latino to win an MVP Award in the World Series. Roberto Clemente, from Puerto Rico, was the first one in 1971.

In 1997, Renteria had a walk-off RBI hit in the 11th inning of the seventh game of the World Series for the Florida Marlins against the Cleveland Indians. His three-run homer against Rangers' lefty Cliff Lee in the seventh inning of the fifth game in this year's Series buried Texas en route to the World Series trophy.

The Giants declined last week to exercise their $9.5 million option on Renteria, which leaves him eligible to negotiate with any of the other 29 major league teams.

During his 15-year career in the majors, Renteria, a five-time All-Star, has a career average of .287 and has won two Golden Glove awards while playing for Florida, St. Louis, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit and San Francisco.

Series MVP Edgar Renteria will return to play another season - ESPN

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. He's doing what he loves. He should play as long as he wants. Whether we want him back on the Giants is another thing. I would love to have his experience on the bench if he is willing to accept that role.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Us declining his option means nothing, that was just absurd money and Renteria knows it. I would like to see him back.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Us declining his option means nothing, that was just absurd money and Renteria knows it. I would like to see him back.

Yeah, not even the Yankees would throw away money like that.