• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Entrants to NFL

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about ISU. Losing Montgomery and Butler will hurt quite a bit. No other RB had more than 143 yards and no other WR had more than 417 yards, so that's a lot of production to replace. Iowa returns their entire running back stable, and could possibly return their leading receiver along with a 3rd year starting QB. Plus it's not like Ames is a difficult place to win.

Isu returns their entire o-line along with their QB obviously, and 9 starters on a defense that was already good. Plus Campbell is better than Ferentz. I still do think ISU will be favored.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isu returns their entire o-line along with their QB obviously, and 9 starters on a defense that was already good. Plus Campbell is better than Ferentz. I still do think ISU will be favored.
Based on what?

And I'm taking Iowa's defense long before ISU's. Epenesa alone tilts the scales in their favor. Iowa's defense is almost always top 25, so facing that inexperienced of an offense isn't going to be in ISU's favor.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what?

And I'm taking Iowa's defense long before ISU's. Epenesa alone tilts the scales in their favor. Iowa's defense is almost always top 25, so facing that inexperienced of an offense isn't going to be in ISU's favor.

Isu hasn't had back to back 8 win seasons since your boy Earle Bruce was there. He took over a program that was a dumspter fire with no history what so ever and has already turned them into a fringe top 25 program. He doesn't have the history of Ferentz but if everything is equal give me Campbell moving forward.

And Iowa will have a good defense. But with that said isu will still probably be favored. And isu won't be inexperienced on offense. I think they return 8 starters on offense. I literally think the only two guys they lose are Montgomery and Butler.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched a lot of football over the years. We all know he's not a runner. He has the strength in college, but what about the pros? Like everyone, I've been both right and wrong before about QB's picked in the first round.

I know he's not a runner, but he doesn't need to be. Defenses are getting faster but ask yourself if the two best QB's in the league are runners in Rodgers and Brady? No. Neither is Goff, Rivers, Luck, Ryan, Cousins, Roethlesburger. What all those guys do have in common and what compensates for lack of speed is foot work in the pocket. That's something Haskins will just have to be coached up on at the next level.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he's not a runner, but he doesn't need to be. Defenses are getting faster but ask yourself if the two best QB's in the league are runners in Rodgers and Brady? No. Neither is Goff, Rivers, Luck, Ryan, Cousins, Roethlesburger. What all those guys do have in common and what compensates for lack of speed is foot work in the pocket. That's something Haskins will just have to be coached up on at the next level.

Rodgers can run. Ability to get rid of the ball will be key for Haskins. The QB's you mentioned can do that. It will take a while for Haskins to read the pro defenses.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isu hasn't had back to back 8 win seasons since your boy Earle Bruce was there. He took over a program that was a dumspter fire with no history what so ever and has already turned them into a fringe top 25 program. He doesn't have the history of Ferentz but if everything is equal give me Campbell moving forward.

And Iowa will have a good defense. But with that said isu will still probably be favored. And isu won't be inexperienced on offense. I think they return 8 starters on offense. I literally think the only two guys they lose are Montgomery and Butler.
Campbell has done a good job, absolutely, but he's still wildly inconsistent. He had a great win over WVU, and he barely escaped FCS Drake and sub-.500 KSU on the way down. Not to mention that he's been bested by Ferentz twice now, and 2019 Iowa could very possibly be better than 2017 or 2018 Iowa. I know those two guys are the only two they lose on offense, but those two guys made up 51% of their offensive production. It also helps that Iowa has out-recruited them unquestionably over the last 5 years.

The only reason I can see ISU being favored is simply because the game is at ISU. However, the way the played against a top 20 Miss State couple with ISU falling flat to Washington State isn't going to help the early top 25 rankings.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers can run. Ability to get rid of the ball will be key for Haskins. The QB's you mentioned can do that. It will take a while for Haskins to read the pro defenses.

Well that I agree with but he's pretty good at reading defenses already. Whole different ball game at the next level. Rodgers is very good at throwing on the run, so is Roethlisburger. But those guys have amazing abilities at navigating the pocket with simple footwork to avoid sacks. That's just something Haskins will have to work on going forward.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell has done a good job, absolutely, but he's still wildly inconsistent. He had a great win over WVU, and he barely escaped FCS Drake and sub-.500 KSU on the way down. Not to mention that he's been bested by Ferentz twice now, and 2019 Iowa could very possibly be better than 2017 or 2018 Iowa. I know those two guys are the only two they lose on offense, but those two guys made up 51% of their offensive production. It also helps that Iowa has out-recruited them unquestionably over the last 5 years.

The only reason I can see ISU being favored is simply because the game is at ISU. However, the way the played against a top 20 Miss State couple with ISU falling flat to Washington State isn't going to help the early top 25 rankings.

Okay, so you're saying if Ohio State came open tomorrow you'd take Ferentz? Campbell doesn't have the accomplishments yet, but only because he's 25 years younger.

And yes part of my reasoning is because the game is at isu. They will probably be similar like teams again, much like they were the last two years. Equal teams, home team is favored, it's pretty simple.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so you're saying if Ohio State came open tomorrow you'd take Ferentz? Campbell doesn't have the accomplishments yet, but only because he's 25 years younger.

And yes part of my reasoning is because the game is at isu. They will probably be similar like teams again, much like they were the last two years. Equal teams, home team is favored, it's pretty simple.
I'd prefer Campbell because he's younger, but also because he's an Ohio guy and we have great luck with Ohio guys at HC. If they were both the same age, I'm taking Ferentz in a heartbeat. Since 2000, Iowa has had 8+ wins ten times, with five of those times 10+ wins. And he's done it coaching in Iowa, without the benefit of anything to attract elite talent. Imagine what he could've done in that timeframe at a real program. Long-term, yeah I'd take Campbell because he's much younger. We're talking about next September for 1 game, a game that I'd take Ferentz in over Campbell in a heartbeat.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer Campbell because he's younger, but also because he's an Ohio guy and we have great luck with Ohio guys at HC. If they were both the same age, I'm taking Ferentz in a heartbeat. Since 2000, Iowa has had 8+ wins ten times, with five of those times 10+ wins. And he's done it coaching in Iowa, without the benefit of anything to attract elite talent. Imagine what he could've done in that timeframe at a real program. Long-term, yeah I'd take Campbell because he's much younger. We're talking about next September for 1 game, a game that I'd take Ferentz in over Campbell in a heartbeat.

You can argue the previous 20 years at Iowa were more successful than what ferentz has done in his 20 years. Iowa finished ranked the previous 20 seasons more than they have under Ferentz and Iowa had a better winning % the previous 20 years than they did with Ferentz. Ferentz is a good coach but what he's done at Iowa isn't anything special considering the previous 20 years were probably more successful.

Campbell has done things at isu that haven't been done in 40 years. And next year might be his best team as he enters his 4th season.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can argue the previous 20 years at Iowa were more successful than what ferentz has done in his 20 years. Iowa finished ranked the previous 20 seasons more than they have under Ferentz and Iowa had a better winning % the previous 20 years than they did with Ferentz. Ferentz is a good coach but what he's done at Iowa isn't anything special considering the previous 20 years were probably more successful.

Campbell has done things at isu that haven't been done in 40 years. And next year might be his best team as he enters his 4th season.
I'd also argue CFB has become significantly more competitive in recent years. It's a glamour industry where kids are treated like royalty, not like it was in the 80s and before. Top flight talent simply isn't going to those kind of places.

You're also comparing him to HOF HC Hayden Fry, which is a bit unfair.

Again, congrats to Campbell. He has a bright future. But next year I'm taking Ferentz. Also, by what means is next year ISU's best team in his 4 years?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also argue CFB has become significantly more competitive in recent years. It's a glamour industry where kids are treated like royalty, not like it was in the 80s and before. Top flight talent simply isn't going to those kind of places.

You're also comparing him to HOF HC Hayden Fry, which is a bit unfair.

Again, congrats to Campbell. He has a bright future. But next year I'm taking Ferentz. Also, by what means is next year ISU's best team in his 4 years?

Okay, argue all you want he still hasn't been as good as the guy he replaced.

ISU returns like 17 starters from an 8 win team. Along with stability at QB for the first time. I'm predicting it will be his best team. You think that's going out on a limb or something?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, argue all you want he still hasn't been as good as the guy he replaced.

ISU returns like 17 starters from an 8 win team. Along with stability at QB for the first time. I'm predicting it will be his best team. You think that's going out on a limb or something?
So because Ferentz replaced an actual HOF head coach and Campbell replaced an idiot, that instantly means Campbell is better?

They return 17 starters, but how good are they? They were an 8-win team largely because of the outstanding play of Montgomery and Butler, both two-year starters who were by far the best offensive players on the team. And how good actually is Purdy? He started out on fire but then fizzled pretty badly down the stretch - 1,085 yards, 11.1 YPA with 12 TD to 2 INT in his first 4 games/1,165 yards, 9.5 YPA with 4 TD/5 INT in his last 5 games.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because Ferentz replaced an actual HOF head coach and Campbell replaced an idiot, that instantly means Campbell is better?

They return 17 starters, but how good are they? They were an 8-win team largely because of the outstanding play of Montgomery and Butler, both two-year starters who were by far the best offensive players on the team. And how good actually is Purdy? He started out on fire but then fizzled pretty badly down the stretch - 1,085 yards, 11.1 YPA with 12 TD to 2 INT in his first 4 games/1,165 yards, 9.5 YPA with 4 TD/5 INT in his last 5 games.

It helps to go to a program with a respected history. Campbell doing something that hasn't been done in 40 years is pretty good. I mean it's ISU. Lol.

They were good enough to get to 8 wins. If those 17 starters manage to get worse they won't be as good. Either way, my point still stands of ISU being favored. I'll even concede this Campbell/Ferentz debate because I don't feel like dragging this on. But isu will be favored. So it would take an upset for Iowa to be 4-1.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps to go to a program with a respected history. Campbell doing something that hasn't been done in 40 years is pretty good. I mean it's ISU. Lol.

They were good enough to get to 8 wins. If those 17 starters manage to get worse they won't be as good. Either way, my point still stands of ISU being favored. I'll even concede this Campbell/Ferentz debate because I don't feel like dragging this on. But isu will be favored. So it would take an upset for Iowa to be 4-1.
Iowa State won 7 games five times from 2001-2009, so it's not like he's doing this at a program that was only winning 2 games every year for 40 years. I've said he's a good coach, but he's losing some major pieces, and again - Iowa has outrecruited them every year he's been there. He has a bright future, but he's not on Ferentz's level yet.

Your point of ISU being favored doesn't stand at all. You have no idea who will be favored yet. However, both Athlon and 247sports think Iowa will be ranked higher than Iowa State to start the year, which would tend to make me think Iowa will be favored.

You're conceding the debate because you know I'm right. Campbell is 0-2 against Ferentz for a reason. He's simply not as good of a coach yet.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Fuller announces he is returning. This is a big one for OSU's secondary.

Reactions: gob

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watch him move around in the pocket, yeah, I'd definitely say he's quick compared to many other QBs. He also has the strength to shrug off tackles. I seriously have no idea where this slant of yours is coming from.

Probably b/c tOSU has never produced a quality franchise NFL QB.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State won 7 games five times from 2001-2009, so it's not like he's doing this at a program that was only winning 2 games every year for 40 years. I've said he's a good coach, but he's losing some major pieces, and again - Iowa has outrecruited them every year he's been there. He has a bright future, but he's not on Ferentz's level yet.

Your point of ISU being favored doesn't stand at all. You have no idea who will be favored yet. However, both Athlon and 247sports think Iowa will be ranked higher than Iowa State to start the year, which would tend to make me think Iowa will be favored.

You're conceding the debate because you know I'm right. Campbell is 0-2 against Ferentz for a reason. He's simply not as good of a coach yet.

Well it sucks I'll have to wait til early season lines come out to prove it. But I guess that's all we have now.

And no I'm conceding, not because you're correct, but because this will drag on forever. Which is dumb.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it sucks I'll have to wait til early season lines come out to prove it. But I guess that's all we have now.

And no I'm conceding, not because you're correct, but because this will drag on forever. Which is dumb.
That's never stopped you before.

If I were to guess, this may be a pick'em, but highly unlikely to be more than maybe 1.5 points either way. Hardly an upset when a team ranked in the late-teens beats a team ranked in the low-20s.