• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Earl Thomas

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People say Mayfield is an ego problem because of a staredown to Hue Jackson when he was coaching for a different team, yet don't point this out as a problem with Thomas. Sheesh.

I don't know all the circumstances, but for starters, there are differences. Earl Thomas is a respected veteran who probably will be heading to the HOF someday. Maybe he has a legit reason to flip off Carroll...maybe not. Mayfield wasn't through his rookie year, and that display and reasoning was simply juvenile. Given his attitude, he is exactly the type of guy that would go to a team in the division just 'to stick it to the Browns' if he ever felt slighted or whatever....the same idiotic reason he 'stared down' his former coach.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know all the circumstances, but for starters, there are differences. Earl Thomas is a respected veteran who probably will be heading to the HOF someday. Maybe he has a legit reason to flip off Carroll...maybe not. Mayfield wasn't through his rookie year, and that display and reasoning was simply juvenile. Given his attitude, he is exactly the type of guy that would go to a team in the division just 'to stick it to the Browns' if he ever felt slighted or whatever....the same idiotic reason he 'stared down' his former coach.
Well this is unsubstantiated but whatever.

Just pointing out the hypocrisy that the media demonstrates. I saw nothing wrong with the staredown, Hue was a horrible coach and leader who constantly threw everyone else under the bus for his failures, I thought it was great and well-deserved. Can't imagine a scenario where any other QB would do it when a former HC was coaching for a division rival a few weeks after getting canned, especially given how shitty of a job they did, and get ripped like Baker did. Completely harmless, but again, hypocrisy.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just pointing out the hypocrisy that the media demonstrates. I saw nothing wrong with the staredown, Hue was a horrible coach and leader who constantly threw everyone else under the bus for his failures, I thought it was great and well-deserved. Can't imagine a scenario where any other QB would do it when a former HC was coaching for a division rival a few weeks after getting canned, especially given how shitty of a job they did, and get ripped like Baker did. Completely harmless, but again, hypocrisy.

Again, it really isn't hypocrisy as the situations are different. Earl Thomas has credibility in this league. Mayfield doesn't. I personally don't like what ET did, but again...I don't have all the facts in that case. I certainly don't like Mayfield's repeated bush league moves.

I don't care that Hue Jackson is a terrible head coach....he was fired, and has every right to go anywhere he chooses. Given that Mayfield didn't like Jackson going over to a divisional rival - his reasoning for his staredown - it's safe to assume he didn't like him the day he became a Brown, because Jackson came from Cincinnati to Cleveland. To me, it's childish...a punk move, but that's Baker Mayfield...and he doesn't care.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it really isn't hypocrisy as the situations are different. Earl Thomas has credibility in this league. Mayfield doesn't. I personally don't like what ET did, but again...I don't have all the facts in that case. I certainly don't like Mayfield's repeated bush league moves.

I don't care that Hue Jackson is a terrible head coach....he was fired, and has every right to go anywhere he chooses. Given that Mayfield didn't like Jackson going over to a divisional rival - his reasoning for his staredown - it's safe to assume he didn't like him the day he became a Brown, because Jackson came from Cincinnati to Cleveland. To me, it's childish...a punk move, but that's Baker Mayfield...and he doesn't care.
What are you talking about "repeated bush league moves"?

Actually his reason wasn't because he went to a division rival. He came from Cincinnati in the first place. He stared him down because of their relationship when he was still in Cleveland and how shitty of a coach Jackson was, especially with his repeatedly throwing others under the bus for his failures. Hilarious that because Mayfield was a rookie, what he did was childish, but Earl is a seasoned vet so what he did - which was a lot stronger of a move, and against his current coach, no less - somehow wasn't. The power of the media to create hypocrisy among casual fans.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People say Mayfield is an ego problem because of a staredown to Hue Jackson when he was coaching for a different team, yet don't point this out as a problem with Thomas. Sheesh.
Didn't pretty much everyone say he was a jackass for doing this? He looked like a total AHole when he did it

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't pretty much everyone say he was a jackass for doing this? He looked like a total AHole when he did it
I didn't see any of that. Maybe they did, it was a pretty big asshole move, especially when you see the reason was he didn't think Carroll showed the appropriate amount of concern. Not only that, but Carroll came to his defense, and Thomas still stands by it.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually his reason wasn't because he went to a division rival. He came from Cincinnati in the first place. He stared him down because of their relationship when he was still in Cleveland and how shitty of a coach Jackson was, especially with his repeatedly throwing others under the bus for his failures. Hilarious that because Mayfield was a rookie, what he did was childish, but Earl is a seasoned vet so what he did - which was a lot stronger of a move, and against his current coach, no less - somehow wasn't. The power of the media to create hypocrisy among casual fans.

OK...I get it. Mayfield is your teams QB and you gotta defend him and all....but it's apparent that you don't think any of his actions are bush league. From college to the pros, his dick grabbing to the Hue Jackson and Duke Johnson comments....he has a history of antics that a LOT of people think of a punk moves.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/26/baker-mayfield-finally-tells-truth-about-hue-jackson-stare-down/

“Left Cleveland, goes down to Cincinnati. I don’t know. That’s just somebody that’s in our locker room asking for us to play for him and then goes to a different team we play twice a year. Everybody can have their spin on it, but that’s how I feel,” Mayfield said during the postgame press conference.

So it wasn't a result of the staredown....it was comments based on an awkward exchange post game. It's irrelevant though....the reasoning is ridiculous. Then, there is this:

Baker Mayfield wanted “revenge” against Hue Jackson

“I’m not gonna lie to you and say that the first time I played Hue did not feel good. It’s human nature to want to get revenge” Mayfield said.

...basically admitting he would want to get revenge, which fully plays into the notion that if the felt the Browns slighted him, Mayfield would definitely join a divisional team....'to get revenge.'

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see any of that. Maybe they did, it was a pretty big asshole move, especially when you see the reason was he didn't think Carroll showed the appropriate amount of concern. Not only that, but Carroll came to his defense, and Thomas still stands by it.
I thought it had more to do with the previous contract negotiations... Earl wanting more guarantees in case of injuries, doesn't get them, then gets injured... Or am I not remembering that right?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't remember the details from when this happened but read some of it the other day from Baker's (?) quotes. Why was Hue going to Cincy wrong? He was fired. He wanted to work. They offered a job and he took it. I understand I must be missing something because 99.9% of players would say good for him that he found another job, no? I thought Baker (or whomever said it, I can't remember if it was Baker) came off looking pretty poorly on that. Again, I may be missing something, but doing a bad job in Cle or telling them he was on their side in the locker room when he was still their coach obviously doesn't justify it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...I get it. Mayfield is your teams QB and you gotta defend him and all....but it's apparent that you don't think any of his actions are bush league. From college to the pros, his dick grabbing to the Hue Jackson and Duke Johnson comments....he has a history of antics that a LOT of people think of a punk moves.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/26/baker-mayfield-finally-tells-truth-about-hue-jackson-stare-down/

So it wasn't a result of the staredown....it was comments based on an awkward exchange post game. It's irrelevant though....the reasoning is ridiculous. Then, there is this:

Baker Mayfield wanted “revenge” against Hue Jackson

...basically admitting he would want to get revenge, which fully plays into the notion that if the felt the Browns slighted him, Mayfield would definitely join a divisional team....'to get revenge.'
So he wanted to get revenge on him because he was a shit coach. What's wrong with that? Do you not want that kind of fire from your QB? I don't have to defend him, but I will if people are looking at this and deciding to call the kid a punk or a problem. I love having that kind of fire from a QB, especially given the pansy-ass history Cleveland has at the position. It's not like he went over and berated him or hit him. He stared him down. So what?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's correct respect is earned. I don't agree with the way ET handled it but he does get some leeway based on the respect he earned over the years. Baker hasn't earned the respect of anyone yet and likely won't unless his perceived pompous attitude changes.

Not to mention ET just had his leg snapped. He didn't know if he would ever play again and was pissed because he hadn't been given a contract.

Damn can't believe I'm defending a former Hawk player:dhd:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, it was a dick move. I could be wrong but I thought he took a lot of shit for it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it had more to do with the previous contract negotiations... Earl wanting more guarantees in case of injuries, doesn't get them, then gets injured... Or am I not remembering that right?
His quote was that he didn't think Carroll's concern over his injury was genuine, which is pretty absurd.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember the details from when this happened but read some of it the other day from Baker's (?) quotes. Why was Hue going to Cincy wrong? He was fired. He wanted to work. They offered a job and he took it. I understand I must be missing something because 99.9% of players would say good for him that he found another job, no? I thought Baker (or whomever said it, I can't remember if it was Baker) came off looking pretty poorly on that. Again, I may be missing something, but doing a bad job in Cle or telling them he was on their side in the locker room when he was still their coach obviously doesn't justify it.
Again, it isn't like he did something atrocious. He stared him down. I loved seeing that sort of fire from our leader. He's certainly 100 times more of a leader than Hue ever was. He was an absolute clown in Cleveland. If Baker's sole reason was because he took a job at a division rival, yeah that's not fair to Hue, but obviously there was a lot more to Hue's relationship with the Browns than just that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, it was a dick move. I could be wrong but I thought he took a lot of shit for it.
I honestly can't say he didn't, you could very well be right. I just don't remember seeing it.