• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles need an offensive coaching overhaul

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to focus on the receivers and their lack of speed and hands, but there is a bigger problem haunting the Philly offense: coaching.

Since Frank Reich went to Indy, and John Defilippo left Philly to become an offensive coordinator, now in Jacksonville, the Eagles offense simply hasn't been the same.

There is no creativity out there with the play calling anymore. The team has become a very vanilla, run-based offense. That works against lesser opponents when our line is firing off, but less so when the opposition is equally talented.

They need to fire Mike Groh or demote him back to receivers coach, and hire a real offensive mind. Pederson maybe thinks he doesn't need this, since he is an offensive coach, but he clearly does.

Duce Staley has been in line for a while, and I think he gets passed over because they think they need a passing game expert. But they should maybe give Duce a shot. He has to be better than Groh.

downundermike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duce has his own issues with his silly rotation. Need to bring in an offensive mind from college.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that Groh has to go period. He has been fired before, so it's not like he's a stud coach. If we make Duce the OC, we'd better get a good QB coach (Press Taylor may be OK), but we need a WR coach with a proven record. But, even with the changes, we still need a major upgrade in talent WR's. Sunday proved that without DJAX and healthy Jeffrey, we have nobody that gets open and catches the ball.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to focus on the receivers and their lack of speed and hands, but there is a bigger problem haunting the Philly offense: coaching.

Since Frank Reich went to Indy, and John Defilippo left Philly to become an offensive coordinator, now in Jacksonville, the Eagles offense simply hasn't been the same.

There is no creativity out there with the play calling anymore. The team has become a very vanilla, run-based offense. That works against lesser opponents when our line is firing off, but less so when the opposition is equally talented.

They need to fire Mike Groh or demote him back to receivers coach, and hire a real offensive mind. Pederson maybe thinks he doesn't need this, since he is an offensive coach, but he clearly does.

Duce Staley has been in line for a while, and I think he gets passed over because they think they need a passing game expert. But they should maybe give Duce a shot. He has to be better than Groh.
What about Jay Gruden at OC? He may want a gig after this season. I would at least give him an interview.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt we need a complete house cleaning at the WR position, but I also think we need better offensive coaching.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that Groh has to go period. He has been fired before, so it's not like he's a stud coach. If we make Duce the OC, we'd better get a good QB coach (Press Taylor may be OK), but we need a WR coach with a proven record. But, even with the changes, we still need a major upgrade in talent WR's. Sunday proved that without DJAX and healthy Jeffrey, we have nobody that gets open and catches the ball.

I agree with this, Groh absolutely needs to go, but we need to get Carson some better receivers in general. DJax is great, but he's likely here for just next season and Alshon is likely gone in 2021 as well. We have nothing behind those 2 guys; Arcega-Whiteside can't even get on the field. Street FA Jordan Mathews got run ahead of him.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current offensive system doesn’t work for Wentz as much as it did for Foles and the sooner they realize it the sooner the Eagles will improve. Groh must go. The WR coach must go. Pederson has got to evolve and realize that Wentz needs to adjust his play and his thinking. Wentz has the tools but Pederson isn’t getting it out. Howie needs to get a true talent evaluator in the FO. They need to stop keeping over aged and over the hill players because of their past greatness (Peters/Sproles).
The Eagles are losing the window and there is much to do.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to overhaul his coaching staff since he just did it a year ago.
I think it does start with finding better receivers. I don't want to wait around for some rookie to develop, I think you target one in free agency and then draft high for one.

You dump Nelson on the curb ( where he belongs ) along with deleting Jordan Mathews number from the rolodex!
You leave Whiteside at #5 where he belongs and hope he develops.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to overhaul his coaching staff since he just did it a year ago.
I think it does start with finding better receivers. I don't want to wait around for some rookie to develop, I think you target one in free agency and then draft high for one.

You dump Nelson on the curb ( where he belongs ) along with deleting Jordan Mathews number from the rolodex!
You leave Whiteside at #5 where he belongs and hope he develops.

He has no choice but to overhaul the staff. Why Mike Groh was promoted to OC is still baffling to me. What makes his performance as an OC a really bad look is that he was the Wide Receivers coach before he got the promotion. Considering how bad the receivers have been playing and how bad the offense has been only further shows he has to go.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Jay Gruden at OC? He may want a gig after this season. I would at least give him an interview.
Yes, my 1st choice. Would be an awesome addition to the offensive staff.

I wish they did it already.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has no choice but to overhaul the staff. Why Mike Groh was promoted to OC is still baffling to me. What makes his performance as an OC a really bad look is that he was the Wide Receivers coach before he got the promotion. Considering how bad the receivers have been playing and how bad the offense has been only further shows he has to go.

No he has a choice in upgrading the talent at wide receiver!

This shit ain't new to us, Fat Andy use to get guys that should've been bagging groceries back in the day.
Doug's not stupid he knows he has to get better weapons for his QB, Wentz was his pick so for better or worse he's gotta make it work!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, my 1st choice. Would be an awesome addition to the offensive staff.

I wish they did it already.

I like Gruden. And if Schwartz gets a HC gig someday, I like Dan Quinn, who was over his head as a HC. But he is good DC.