• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Cap Situation

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After further looking into our Cap Situation ... the situation is no where near as dire as it seems on the surface. Yes, right "now" we are over the Cap ... even with the spike in the Cap number we are still 12.6 million over the cap at this moment in time. HOWEVER ... this is just a temporary cloud as by the time Free Agency opens up, we will be just fine and have plenty of available funds to extend our own players and even bring in a few UFA's as well. Below is a summary of how we can work things out:

Currently 12.6 over the cap
  1. How to open up Space
Not picking up Foles Option or Tag and Trade
  • Saves 20 Million either way

Releasing Peters

• Saves 8 million

Peters retiring

• Saves around 10.5

Opt out of Jernigan Contract (could re-sign for 1 year 5 mil prove-health year)

** Jernigan's entire contract is now voidable without any hit to the Cap

• Saves 13 million if the Eagles completely opt out

• Saves 8 mil if re-signed to a 1 year prove-health 5 mil contract

Release or trade Nelson Agholor

• Saves around 9.4 mil

Extend Agholor (more likely)

• Can save around 5 mil in 2019 with a low cap hit year 1 of a new deal.

Chris Long likely retiring

• Saves 5.5 million

Restructure Malcolm Jenkins

• Saves 5.3 million

Total Saved 51.8 by

Losing: Peters, Long and Foles

Rework or extend: Jernigan, Agholor, Jenkins

1. 51.8 Saved minus 12.8 that we are over = 39 under the cap
Around 8 mil needed for draft picks subtracted from the 39 mil under under = 31 mil for free agency.

Yet more options if needed

Cutting Rodney McLeod would save over 5 mil

Cutting Stefen Wisniewski would save 3 mil, but with Brooks injury we may have to keep.

That's and extra 8 we can open up which would put us at 39 mil under for free agents. Obviously though the more players we release, the more players we need to replace.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s a great and well timed thread. I’ve been mulling this as well lately. It’s not a crazy as it seems. As worrisome as the cap number is this year (and also setting up to have the money in coming years for Wentz) we have some of the best at managing such a silly number game.

I hadn’t arrived at $30M+ yet as I’ve struggled with who stays and goes. But this is absolutely a path. And there are free agents that will be out there too.

The bottom line is this roster has to go through a bit of a revolution to stay strong for the coming 5-10 years. Not anywhere near a rebuild.

This is going to be a critical year on that pivot. And the money will be there.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is not a problem.

Never is.

Rey didn't even include much Howie Magic in his analysis and we're still loaded.:high5:

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea we could convert Fletch to bonus again and be under. Plenty of easy ways to make room. I think Peters and Long will be here (could be reworked). Long bc hes a good cheapish vet and need DE end depth with graham gone. Peter bc he played well down the stretch. Reworking Jernigan, McCloud, Jenkins, Agholor will make plenty.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peters could be kept one more year ... it gives Jordan Mailata an extra year of learning/grooming behind Peters before potentially taking over at LT in 2020.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Manster7588 always brings up a good point. We could let go of all those guys and be 31 million under but we have to sign a bunch of replacements too

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen that we may be targeting pass rushers in FA... if there's any truth to that, I'd love to see Trey Flowers in an Eagles uniform. That dude is a straight up beast, and only 25 years old. I hope New England doesn't tag him.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is not a problem.

Never is.

Rey didn't even include much Howie Magic in his analysis and we're still loaded.:high5:

I believe that Howie Magic might actually be a thing. No one in the league manages the cap better than he does.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen that we may be targeting pass rushers in FA... if there's any truth to that, I'd love to see Trey Flowers in an Eagles uniform. That dude is a straight up beast, and only 25 years old. I hope New England doesn't tag him.

It's very difficult to snag a top pass rusher in free agency. For starters teams don't let those guys get away ... especially when they're in their mid 20's. If by some miracle they free up you better be prepared to break the bank on them. A seasoned vet whom I wouldn't mind bringing in on a 1 year deal is Cameron Wake ... yep, he's old, but can still get to the QB. A knee scope slowed him down to begin the season last year for Miami, but he finished strong with 5 Sacks in the final 8 games. The Eagles just hired former Dolphins DC Matt Burke so the tie is there for Wake.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he is really good, the Pats won't let him leave.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very difficult to snag a top pass rusher in free agency. For starters teams don't let those guys get away ... especially when they're in their mid 20's. If by some miracle they free up you better be prepared to break the bank on them. A seasoned vet whom I wouldn't mind bringing in on a 1 year deal is Cameron Wake ... yep, he's old, but can still get to the QB. A knee scope slowed him down to begin the season last year for Miami, but he finished strong with 5 Sacks in the final 8 games. The Eagles just hired former Dolphins DC Matt Burke so the tie is there for Wake.

I'm with you Rey, I don't see NE letting Flowers go. Just dreaming out loud.

Wake is a nice option and still productive but unless he will play for less money here, we might as well keep Long. He's said that he'd like to play another year, depending on what the Eagles do this off-season. He too was pretty productive this year, 6.5 sacks in a rotation role.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Rey, I don't see NE letting Flowers go. Just dreaming out loud.

Wake is a nice option and still productive but unless he will play for less money here, we might as well keep Long. He's said that he'd like to play another year, depending on what the Eagles do this off-season. He too was pretty productive this year, 6.5 sacks in a rotation role.

Flowers has jumped off the page for me as well. I would love to have him.

But Rey is right. Even if he doesn't make it to FA (I dont think he will) there could be a very strong market for him, pricing him out.

In a vacuum he is just the kind of rotation line player that could really impact well here.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Howie Magic might actually be a thing. No one in the league manages the cap better than he does.
Of course it is.

Point being, we are totally fucking loaded with funds if we want to be.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news, we get to carry over 6.1 mil in cap relief this year.
Eagles will carry over $6.1 million of cap space into 2019

Note: I think the article has miscalculated the "projected" cap space prior to this 6.1 mil cap relief. They have it projected at over 15 when I think it's in the 12's as they aren't calculating the League Cap increase for 2019. They are basing it on the "current" Cap Limit. Either way though this is good news for us.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodney McLeod has restructured his contract (pay cut) ... interested to see details on how much Cap savings.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peters could be kept one more year ... it gives Jordan Mailata an extra year of learning/grooming behind Peters before potentially taking over at LT in 2020.
be interesting to see if Mailata can get some of that playing time when Peters is hurt during the game or if it's still Big V. Whole line outside of of Johnson is looking like areas to consider having someone to groom/step in.

Brooks coming off injury.
Peters we all know has an expiration date.
Kelce is pondering his future. I know people think it's about getting more money, but he's still up there in years and Gronk had a nice interview speaking about the toll the game takes on one's body.
the other guard spot has always been a little weird. not sure if it stems from what Peters or Big V was doing, but Isaac and Wiz seem a bit inconsistent, but have shown to be capable.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodney McLeod has restructured his contract (pay cut) ... interested to see details on how much Cap savings.

Ah. The first cap restructure. Now we’re moving. I will be interested to see the numbers too. With him coming off injury the 9.9M cap hit that was there (with 5M in cap savings) meant a definite cut.

Love the 6.1M carry over! I knew there would be some (Howie does a great job at this) but I expected it to be about half that.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early word on this is that the move saved around 3 mil. Cutting him would have saved 5 mil, but McLeod is still a solid player and it's one less position we would have to replace. Avonte Maddox can play in the 3 Safety sets and provide depth. Maddox will likely be used this year at both Safety and Corner.