• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles' Brandon Graham gets 3/40

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THis should make for an interesting list of restructuring. By my finger-math they should only have about $6M cap space after letting Folk walk. $13M is gonna be hard to fit, unless it is deferred to future yeas.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles money, Tim Jernigan (not picking up option saves 7 mil), trading or releasing Agholor (saves 9.3), Long likely retiring (saves over 5). Likely restructure for Jenkins ... likely saves another 3-4 this year.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an interesting career. Complete bust and had Eagle fans pissed we passed on Earl Thomas. Then turns into an excellent player later and makes the all pro team while making the single biggest play in Eagles history (SB strip sack). I thought he was long gone. 13 mill short term deal is fantastic.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles money, Tim Jernigan (not picking up option saves 7 mil), trading or releasing Agholor (saves 9.3), Long likely retiring (saves over 5). Likely restructure for Jenkins ... likely saves another 3-4 this year.

So jsut from that you need a backup QB, two DL, and a WR. Figure at least $10m to fill those 4 holes.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So jsut from that you need a backup QB, two DL, and a WR. Figure at least $10m to fill those 4 holes.

Good on backup QB ... DT in Rd 1 at 25 (loaded Draft at DT), WR Rd 2 (also loaded at the position and we have 2 2nds) or FA WR John Brown (probably 3-4 mil).

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good on backup QB ... DT in Rd 1 at 25 (loaded Draft at DT), WR Rd 2 (also loaded at the position and we have 2 2nds) or FA WR John Brown (probably 3-4 mil).

Give it up bro. 90% of the people here are going to tell you the Eagles suck, we are completely fucked on the cap, Carson Wentz actually is not good and on and on and on. There’s about 5 threads on page one alone all dedicated to how we are fucked forever.
I even told one poster that we have an excellent cap manager that is known for being an expert on cap strategies and he replied, “No you don’t”. So I post 6 different articles on our GM stating he is a cap guru and one saying his “in” in the NFL was going to law school just to study the cap system and this poster replied, “They are all lying ball washers and made up those stories so they look good in the Eagles eyes. It’s never ending bro.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it up bro. 90% of the people here are going to tell you the Eagles suck, we are completely fucked on the cap, Carson Wentz actually is not good and on and on and on. There’s about 5 threads on page one alone all dedicated to how we are fucked forever.
I even told one poster that we have an excellent cap manager that is known for being an expert on cap strategies and he replied, “No you don’t”. So I post 6 different articles on our GM stating he is a cap guru and one saying his “in” in the NFL was going to law school just to study the cap system and this poster replied, “They are all lying ball washers and made up those stories so they look good in the Eagles eyes. It’s never ending bro.
They teach the cap system in law school?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They teach the cap system in law school?

His focus was contracts. Pretty damn good at it too cause you told me we were absolutely fucked and he still found a way to keep one of his top players. How? I thought we were fucked?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His focus was contracts. Pretty damn good at it too cause you told me we were absolutely fucked and he still found a way to keep one of his top players. How? I thought we were fucked?
I don't think anyone said Philly couldn't keep a player or two? I know I didn't.
But what most knowledgable fans did say they weren't kepping Foles, they weren't getting multiple 1st + for Foles, they may get a 3rd comp pick next year. They/I also said you'll need to dump multiple players to even get under the cap. You won't be a player in FA. You'll have multiple vacancies to fill with less proven players then you lost. You'll have a difficult time signing all 9 draft picks because you don't have enough cap room.
Seems all of us are right so far.
Enjoy mediocrity.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once again that's not what you said. This is what you said; "going to law school just to study the cap system"

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again that's not what you said. This is what you said; "going to law school just to study the cap system"

True... poor wording. He was quoted as saying “I went to law school to study contracts cause I saw a niche market in the NFL for cap managers.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True... poor wording. He was quoted as saying “I went to law school to study contracts cause I saw a niche market in the NFL for cap managers.
I hope the Eagles didn't pay for it?
If they did that's the 2nd time Howie has screwed them.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone said Philly couldn't keep a player or two? I know I didn't.
But what most knowledgable fans did say they weren't kepping Foles, they weren't getting multiple 1st + for Foles, they may get a 3rd comp pick next year. They/I also said you'll need to dump multiple players to even get under the cap. You won't be a player in FA. You'll have multiple vacancies to fill with less proven players then you lost. You'll have a difficult time signing all 9 draft picks because you don't have enough cap room.
Seems all of us are right so far.
Enjoy mediocrity.

Foles will be the only big loss we won't be able to fill adequately. As far as cap room ... we don't have a problem and the players who will be released to open cap space won't be difficult to replace. The cap is likely to be set around 191 mil and the Eagles have 6 mil of carryover from the 2018 season, so their number should be around 197 mil. Prior to the Brandon Graham signing we were around 6 mil under the cap, but the Graham signing will nullify that extra space. The average per season for Graham's new contract is around 13 mil, however Roseman contracts are usually low cap hits year one, so it's likely the Graham cap hit will be around 5 or 6 mil for 2019. Not picking up DT Tim Jernigan's option will open up an immediate 7 million in cap space and trading or releasing WR Nelson Agholor will open up 9.3 million. Jernigan is a very solid interior Lineman, but this draft is packed with really good DLinemen and it will be addressed with one of our 1st or or two 2nd round picks. Nelson Agholor is "not" a huge loss, he can only play the slot and aside from a big play here or there is very inconsistent. His production can be replaced by resigning Jordan Matthews at a much cheaper price. Matthews was actually more productive than Agholor in his first go round as the Eagles slot receiver and can be resigned for around 2 mil (Wentz actually prefers throwing to him over Agholor). On top of that it's an insanely deep WR class ... arguably one of the best I can remember and I've been following the draft for over 25 years, so I'm sure we'll pluck a player or two in this draft.

To sum up cap space: The Jernigan and Agholor savings opens up 16.3 after being flush with the Brandon Graham signing. Resigning WR Jordan Matthews (already in the works from what I've heard) would eat up around 2 mil so it drops us down to 14.3. The projected Cap space needed to draft for the Eagles is roughly 7 million, so that drops us to 7.3 million. The only other area of concern is MLB where Jordan Hicks is set to be a free agent ... however, despite being a very good player, he has been an injury concern since being drafted, There's a very good chance the Eagles can re-sign him to a cap friendly deal. I can go on to explain how we will more than likely open up more cap space before it's all said and done (i.e. Chris Long retire (over 5 mil) or release (3.5 mil) ... Malcolm Jenkins restructure (another 3-5 mil) ... but I'm sure you get the point. The Eagles don't have a cap problem and they are not losing anything they can't adequately replace in 2019 aside from a legend of a backup QB.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty funny listening to Cowboys fans with their panties in a wad about cap space.

Wait until they sign their two running backs to long-term contracts, we'll see about cap issues then.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles will be the only big loss we won't be able to fill adequately. As far as cap room ... we don't have a problem and the players who will be released to open cap space won't be difficult to replace. The cap is likely to be set around 191 mil and the Eagles have 6 mil of carryover from the 2018 season, so their number should be around 197 mil. Prior to the Brandon Graham signing we were around 6 mil under the cap, but the Graham signing will nullify that extra space. The average per season for Graham's new contract is around 13 mil, however Roseman contracts are usually low cap hits year one, so it's likely the Graham cap hit will be around 5 or 6 mil for 2019. Not picking up DT Tim Jernigan's option will open up an immediate 7 million in cap space and trading or releasing WR Nelson Agholor will open up 9.3 million. Jernigan is a very solid interior Lineman, but this draft is packed with really good DLinemen and it will be addressed with one of our 1st or or two 2nd round picks. Nelson Agholor is "not" a huge loss, he can only play the slot and aside from a big play here or there is very inconsistent. His production can be replaced by resigning Jordan Matthews at a much cheaper price. Matthews was actually more productive than Agholor in his first go round as the Eagles slot receiver and can be resigned for around 2 mil (Wentz actually prefers throwing to him over Agholor). On top of that it's an insanely deep WR class ... arguably one of the best I can remember and I've been following the draft for over 25 years, so I'm sure we'll pluck a player or two in this draft.

To sum up cap space: The Jernigan and Agholor savings opens up 16.3 after being flush with the Brandon Graham signing. Resigning WR Jordan Matthews (already in the works from what I've heard) would eat up around 2 mil so it drops us down to 14.3. The projected Cap space needed to draft for the Eagles is roughly 7 million, so that drops us to 7.3 million. The only other area of concern is MLB where Jordan Hicks is set to be a free agent ... however, despite being a very good player, he has been an injury concern since being drafted, There's a very good chance the Eagles can re-sign him to a cap friendly deal. I can go on to explain how we will more than likely open up more cap space before it's all said and done (i.e. Chris Long retire (over 5 mil) or release (3.5 mil) ... Malcolm Jenkins restructure (another 3-5 mil) ... but I'm sure you get the point. The Eagles don't have a cap problem and they are not losing anything they can't adequately replace in 2019 aside from a legend of a backup QB.
Well let's just start with the first thing wrong with this post.
The cap has been announced at $182M.
I can go over how each of the losses Philly will make in order to stay below the cap won't be replaced as easily as you like to make it appear. I could go into but football fans get it already.
Don't forget each team likes to keep $4-5M in the coffers for when players get hurt. At the rate Philly has been losing guys they may want to double that. They already have zero depth.
So keep thinking everything is fine.

Last edited:

Teddyg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles won’t be players in FA, they don’t have the cap space. Currently they have under $200k before the resigning of Graham....moving on from Jernigan does save them $7mil, but they will also need that amount in their rookie pool...I don’t think they will restructure Jenkins as this will only increase his cap hit next year which is over $10mil and he is 31...Howie will get creative but expect maybe 1-2 bottom tier FA signings

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the top guy in FA that I wanted for SF.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles won’t be players in FA, they don’t have the cap space. Currently they have under $200k before the resigning of Graham....moving on from Jernigan does save them $7mil, but they will also need that amount in their rookie pool...I don’t think they will restructure Jenkins as this will only increase his cap hit next year which is over $10mil and he is 31...Howie will get creative but expect maybe 1-2 bottom tier FA signings
Not to mention they'll need to pay Wentz. The longer that goes without a deal the more likely it will cost. Especially if Mahomes signs first. Or the Eagles admit they screwed up by giving up so much for Wentz and either cut or trade him. The Eagles biggest weakness is lack of depth. Things don't bode well for them.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's just start with the first thing wrong with this post.
The cap has been announced at $182M.
I can go over how each of the losses Philly will make in order to stay below the cap won't be replaced as easily as you like to make it appear. I could go into but football fans get it already.
Don't forget each team likes to keep $4-5M in the coffers for when players get hurt. At the rate Philly has been losing guys they may want to double that. They already have zero depth.
So keep thinking everything is fine.

NFL salary cap rises to $188.2 million for 2019, the sixth straight year with a $10 million increase

It's 188.2 plus the 6 mil carry over from 2018 ... the Eagles Cap # this year will be 194.2. I completely understand that extra will be kept in reserve. There's still no issue with the cap. Where exactly are we lacking all this depth as compared to any other team?