• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles and the Browns trade results

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns had someone with half a brain running the team they could easily have been declared the winner regardless of how good Wentz becomes.

If the Browns brass had half a brain they would be the Jets not the Browns. With apologies to the Jets

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back a couple years after a trade to bash a team makes no sense. When you look at what was offered the Browns got the better part of the deal. No one....not even the Eagles would have been able to guarantee that Carson Wentz would be the stud that he was. In fact up until Bridgewater got hurt Wentz was not going to see any time during the season. A trade forced the issue and it worked out for the Eagles.

The Eagles gave up a shitload to move up 6 spots. I am not sure how anyone can see it any other way. Anyone with half a brain would agree that on draft day the Browns got the better of the deal. On paper it looks like they stole from the Eagles. Fast forward a couple years and the look can be different. The Eagles have franchise QB and from the looks of things a QB that will often compete for league MVP. That does not mean the Browns were shafted in the trade. They got a great haul. Just did not know how you use it. I mean look at the QB the Cowboys got in the 4th round.

That's fine but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying would you trade Wentz and a 4th right now for 2 firsts, a 2nd and two 4ths? Not a chance.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the trade made sense for both teams. Not surprisingly, though, the Browns have probably screwed up most of their picks ...

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that merely looking at Eagles vs Browns is a way too simplistic way to look at things.

When looking at the Browns you have to look at the fact that (a) they deemed that there was not a QB good enough for them within their reach, and (b) they thought that they could fill a lot of needs for the future if they traded back.

When looking at the Eagles you have to consider that (a) they thought the biggest missing piece a franchise QB (and they had been without one since McNabb left, (b) the Eagles figured the 2017 draft class defective in the available QB's, and (c) that they thought there to be quite a few teams looking for a franchis QB that they needed to jump. This thinking seems to be reinforced by the Chip Kelly failure, as well as the hire of Doug Pederson and their experience under Andy Reid and the drafting of McNabb.

The surest way to get a franchise QB is drafting very early in the draft - and the Eagles would never get there based on their record in the (near) future. So they would have to trade up. Their original plan was to draft Wentz, groom him for a few seasons, and these would also be the seasons where they might be lacking some draft picks - and arguably might have the picks back in time to make a run. They might even have hoped they could get some picks back in trades.

If the Eagles get with Wentz what they hoped for, and early returns suggest that they very well could, that trade was worth every pick (and more). Even more so since they might end up having the best QB within the division and of that draft. For one, Jay Gruden has already stated that he is very unhappy that the Eagles got Wentz.

To declare the winner of the draft is spurious right now anyway, since we have no idea yet how all the draft picks pan out (for both teams). And even then... do you rate on the picks received/given up, or do you rate a trade based on what was done with those picks.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team could offer the Eagles a trade that they would accept for Carson Wentz.

Every team could offer the Browns a trade for the pick value they accumulated.

Game over.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasnt the trade though. Adding names after the fact is not how the trade went down.
No players were traded. Only draft picks.
What the GM does with the picks is totally diffrent and takes place after the trade.

The trade was

EAGLES GET
#2 pick in 2016

BROWNS GET
#8 pick in 2016
first round pick in 2017
second round pick 2016
fourth round pick in 2016
fourth round pick in 2017

I would make that draft day trade 1000 times out of 1000 if I were Cleveland.
The Eagles are 5-1 and a big reason for that is Carson Wentz. They do not owe the Browns anymore picks, I think the Eagles won that trade. You do not get to draft franchise level QB's every year. Many 1st rd QB picks have crapped out over the years. It looks like Wentz is the real deal.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying would you trade Wentz and a 4th right now for 2 firsts, a 2nd and two 4ths? Not a chance.

No I would not but question makes no sense. To pose the question after you know the results is silly IMO. No team would consider trading their stud QB who is still in his rookie contract anyway. It is a hypothetical question that no one would ever ask.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing the players after the fact is not the question.

Would someone have traded 3 number one picks for a single 6th round pick of New England in the 2000 draft?

Of course not.

But, everyone would trade 3 first round picks for a 22 year old Tom Brady and his entire career.

Cleveland made a great trade. The Eagles gave away a ton of assets.
Cleveland just picked poorly with the assets after the trade.
A better organization probably would have gotten the better of the deal, but not Cleveland.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing the players after the fact is not the question.

Would someone have traded 3 number one picks for a single 6th round pick of New England in the 2000 draft?

Of course not.

But, everyone would trade 3 first round picks for a 22 year old Tom Brady and his entire career.

Cleveland made a great trade. The Eagles gave away a ton of assets.
Cleveland just picked poorly with the assets after the trade.
A better organization probably would have gotten the better of the deal, but not Cleveland.

Yup. Drafting a QB is a crap shoot, Eagles landed on a decent to good one it seems. Cleveland can still be considered under construction. They still have plenty of good picks, if they are able to land a good QB and a few other pieces with their other picks, they could come out doing well yet.