• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight Howard available???

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is he is unhappy in Houston and they may trade him. He is a free agent after this year. This is a golden opportunity for the Suns. The Rockets already voiced an interest in Markieff Morris. Hey, no problem!

That would probably not be enough, but throw in a few more guys and this season could get interesting.

GM McDunno...get on the phone.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely do not see Howard as a franchise savior at this point in his career—that ship sailed about four years ago—but the Suns badly need a low-post option on offense. I would offer Morris, Chandler, and a pick, and then reevaluate matters in the summer. (Howard has another year left on his contract, but he can opt-out this summer.) At that point, Phoenix could either re-sign Howard or use the salary cap space on a forward who is in his prime.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Chandler and Morris for him, ONLY because as @GMATCa pointed out he'd likely opt out so it would clear up cap space, I think that Chandler contract is going to look real ugly next year and the following years, so moving him now would be worth it.

I don't think Howard would be a good fit and also don't think he'll even get traded in the first place so this is all pointless speculation most likely anyways.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Noah is now on the block. This would seem an easier trade to make.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Noah is now on the block. This would seem an easier trade to make.

I doubt, however, that Chicago would want Chandler (let alone Morris) instead of Noah. Frankly, the same is probably true of Howard in Houston. Zaza Pachulia in Dallas would represent a more realistic option, although Phoenix would need to find a way to make the cap numbers work, and even the Mavericks may not be interested.

Last edited:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why anyone would take Markieff from us.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Detroit ...

Plenty of teams would take a chance on him. They'll justify it by saying (with some legitimacy IMO) the Suns are just an awful organization and he'll behave once he's somewhere else.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of teams would take a chance on him. They'll justify it by saying (with some legitimacy IMO) the Suns are just an awful organization and he'll behave once he's somewhere else.

Plenty of teams might take a chance on him, but I do not know that plenty of teams would give up much more than a second-round pick for him at this point. The Pistons might possess more of an incentive due to the prospect of reuniting him with his twin.

The strange thing is how steeply his athleticism seems to have declined. Perhaps he is playing hurt, or maybe he is just not trying hard, but he seems to be twenty-six going on thirty-six. Morris was never an explosive athlete, but he looks old and slow out there.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely do not see Howard as a franchise savior at this point in his career—that ship sailed about four years ago—but the Suns badly need a low-post option on offense. I would offer Morris, Chandler, and a pick, and then reevaluate matters in the summer. (Howard has another year left on his contract, but he can opt-out this summer.) At that point, Phoenix could either re-sign Howard or use the salary cap space on a forward who is in his prime.

The problem is that Howard still thinks that he's a franchise savior. He will expect to be treated as such and will expect the "touches" of a franchise savior. So, unless he has an epiphany on his way to Phoenix, you are likely to be stuck with the same problems he had in Orlando, LA and now Houston. While unloading Chandler's contract would be a bonus, you'd basically be renting Howard for the rest of the season which might make the Suns just good enough to finish out of the Ben Simmons sweepstakes and then he walks and you get nothing for him except unloading Chandlers contract.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that Howard still thinks that he's a franchise savior. He will expect to be treated as such and will expect the "touches" of a franchise savior. So, unless he has an epiphany on his way to Phoenix, you are likely to be stuck with the same problems he had in Orlando, LA and now Houston. While unloading Chandler's contract would be a bonus, you'd basically be renting Howard for the rest of the season which might make the Suns just good enough to finish out of the Ben Simmons sweepstakes and then he walks and you get nothing for him except unloading Chandlers contract.

Yeah, now I agree. When I posted earlier they hadn't shown themselves to be the level of dumpster they are. Losing to the Sixers sealed the deal: time to tank.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

... might not be a bad thing at all, especially if the Suns offload Markieff Morris simultaneously.

Even in his heyday, Howard was never really a franchise-level player offensively. However, the Suns do not feature a franchise-level player, especially with Bledsoe out. Replacing some of Brandon Knight's jump-shots with post-ups for Dwight Howard would not be a bad change. Best-case scenario: Howard keeps Phoenix afloat while Bledsoe is out, and once the point guard returns, the combination of him, Knight, Howard, and Jon Leuer give the Suns their first playoff berth in six years. Then Phoenix can allow Howard to leave (before he becomes too old), turn the center position over to Alex Len, and save the cap space for a younger free agent.

But I doubt that Houston would go for it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... might not be a bad thing at all, especially if the Suns offload Markieff Morris simultaneously.

Even in his heyday, Howard was never really a franchise-level player offensively. However, the Suns do not feature a franchise-level player, especially with Bledsoe out. Replacing some of Brandon Knight's jump-shots with post-ups for Dwight Howard would not be a bad change. Best-case scenario: Howard keeps Phoenix afloat while Bledsoe is out, and once the point guard returns, the combination of him, Knight, Howard, and Jon Leuer give the Suns their first playoff berth in six years. Then Phoenix can allow Howard to leave (before he becomes too old), turn the center position over to Alex Len, and save the cap space for a younger free agent.

But I doubt that Houston would go for it.

You, me and anyone else who's paid attention, knows that Howard has never been a franchise level offensive player. The problem is, Howard doesn't know it.

You may be right that unloading Chandler and Morris might make it worth it. Chandler seems to be done as a player, but at least he's not an attitude problem. Basically, you'd be trading a bad contract and an attitude problem for a rest of the season rental attitude problem that will likely leave after the season.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You, me and anyone else who's paid attention, knows that Howard has never been a franchise level offensive player. The problem is, Howard doesn't know it.

You may be right that unloading Chandler and Morris might make it worth it. Chandler seems to be done as a player, but at least he's not an attitude problem. Basically, you'd be trading a bad contract and an attitude problem for a rest of the season rental attitude problem that will likely leave after the season.

I am not sure that Chandler is completely done yet—he suffered a hamstring injury a few weeks ago and it may still be affecting him, and eventually he could rebound. But a four-year contract for someone at his age and with his mileage—he is in his fifteenth NBA season—never made much sense.

My point about Howard is that the Suns could afford to at least partially indulge his fantasies for a few months because of how dire their situation happens to be. They do not possess a franchise-level offensive player—it is not Eric Bledsoe, and it is certainly not Brandon Knight. Besides, Bledsoe will be out for the next six weeks. Therefore, even though Howard is not worthy of being an offensive centerpiece, the Suns could actually improve a little with him playing that role. Knight needs to be shooting less often, or shooting in more catch-and-shoot/one-dribble situations as opposed to self-created shots. Plus, Howard would be motivated as he prepares to hit free agency one more time, and with some more touches and post-ups, he might maximize his energy level on the glass and on defense, the areas where he has always been the strongest. Maybe, just maybe, the Suns could sneak into the playoffs, elevate their profile for potential free agents, and then use the cleared cap space next summer to ink a younger front-court player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure that Chandler is completely done yet—he suffered a hamstring injury a few weeks ago and it may still be affecting him, and eventually he could rebound. But a four-year contract for someone at his age and with his mileage—he is in his fifteenth NBA season—never made much sense.

My point about Howard is that the Suns could afford to at least partially indulge his fantasies for a few months because of how dire their situation happens to be. They do not possess a franchise-level offensive player—it is not Eric Bledsoe, and it is certainly not Brandon Knight. Besides, Bledsoe will be out for the next six weeks. Therefore, even though Howard is not worthy of being an offensive centerpiece, the Suns could actually improve a little with him playing that role. Knight needs to be shooting less often, or shooting in more catch-and-shoot/one-dribble situations as opposed to self-created shots. Plus, Howard would be motivated as he prepares to hit free agency one more time, and with some more touches and post-ups, he might maximize his energy level on the glass and on defense, the areas where he has always been the strongest. Maybe, just maybe, the Suns could sneak into the playoffs, elevate their profile for potential free agents, and then use the cleared cap space next summer to ink a younger front-court player.

That's a whole lot of maybe's. I can see where it might work, especially if the Suns have a bunch of perimeter players or 3 point shooters. Howard was at his "best" offensively in Orlando because he had the middle to himself and a bunch of 3 point shooters to help clear space for him.

The other thing that needs to be considered is, so they get Howard and maybe he returns them to that 8 or 9 seed level they were at a season or 2 ago and maybe he decides to re-sign in Phoenix. How do you improve your team from there? You can't really do it through the draft and re-signing Howard would likely limit cap space (although I admit that I don't really know the Suns cap situation).

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a whole lot of maybe's. I can see where it might work, especially if the Suns have a bunch of perimeter players or 3 point shooters. Howard was at his "best" offensively in Orlando because he had the middle to himself and a bunch of 3 point shooters to help clear space for him.

The other thing that needs to be considered is, so they get Howard and maybe he returns them to that 8 or 9 seed level they were at a season or 2 ago and maybe he decides to re-sign in Phoenix. How do you improve your team from there? You can't really do it through the draft and re-signing Howard would likely limit cap space (although I admit that I don't really know the Suns cap situation).

Well, the Suns would not need to re-sign Howard. If he opts out and wants to return, Phoenix could always say no—or say only at our cap-friendly price. If Phoenix could clear the Chandler and Morris contracts, the Suns would possess plenty of salary cap space regardless.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is he is unhappy in Houston and they may trade him. He is a free agent after this year. This is a golden opportunity for the Suns.

Buyer beware: Dwight Howard has been an unhappy overpaid underachiever on every team he's played on so far.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris seems more like a NYK type player. Get his ass out' ah here, PLEASE!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris seems more like a NYK type player. Get his ass out' ah here, PLEASE!

I honestly don't know where a turd like him fits in. NY is doing okay this year and adding Morris might not be the best idea. Which NBA team is the equivalent of the Cincinnati Bengals? That's where he needs to go.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know where a turd like him fits in. NY is doing okay this year and adding Morris might not be the best idea. Which NBA team is the equivalent of the Cincinnati Bengals? That's where he needs to go.

Send him to Philly, his hometown, for a couple of early 2nd round picks.