• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dunlap demoted - Not happy

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Carlos go pushed down the depth chart and was none-to-pleased on how it was handled. Can't say I disagree on either side. Lawson's play against the run has really improved, and his ability to rush the passer is way better than Dunlap at this stage in his career. Having Lawson in the game on nearly every down would be a huge potential benefit on those early passing down.

However, I do agree with Carlos - as a long-time member of the club, and starter, he should have been warned about it. They should have called him in and explained what they were doing and why. Having him find out the way he did wasn't right, IMO, for a guy who has been here for so long.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I mean, in one sense, he got benched because he's no longer the best guy for the job. This is good business and I'm happy to see that Taylor and the coaches don't have sacred cows. On the other hand, the way you treat veterans matters and though Dunlap was a guy from the previous administration, he's been an important part of this franchise for many years.

BTW - This offseason is going to be really interesting. The club can and should move on from Dunlap, Green, and John Ross for very minimal cost (Dunlap has just a couple of million of dead money for next year). They can also move on from Atkins, but would have to absorb a 5 million dollar hit to the cap next year. I think now is a great time to consider getting rid of all the old, overpriced talent and rebuilding. Getting rid of these contracts generates a lot of money that can instantly be converted to improvement on the offensive line and a few pieces on D.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of a guy blasting the coaching staff after he plays like ass.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
54410321.jpg

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunlap has been a team cornerstone for many years. I get him being pissed. Nobody likes to be told in so many words that they aren’t very good anymore.

That said, it’s a business. Much better players than him have been unceremoniously pushed aside when they can no longer perform.

I agree with whoever said it’s time to trim the veteran fat from the Marvin Lewis era. A lot of money that could be reallocated for building a team around Joe Burrow. I’ll reserve judgment on Geno until I see him play. But it’s obvious that Dunlap and Green are out of here after the season.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I read it, and I could be wrong on this, but it wasnt as much of a demotion and it was that their game plan against the ravens will be to sell out to stop the run (as best they can) and having Dunlap in on the passing downs.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's why you change regimes. you can't reboot if you keep doing the same thing.