• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dumpster Fire? Nah, Dumpster Diving!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Pearson trade I was pretty sure there would be some changes coming up if things didn't improve. And by changes I mean serious consideration to moving a long time member of the core, like Carter, Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, etc.

Didn't happen, I'm sure guys know but the Kings made 2 Waiver Claims this weekend:
- RW Nikita Scherbak from Les Habitants
- LW Brendan Leipsic from Vancouver

Both guys will be RFAs at season's end, unless they impress I don't see any MQOs going out their way.

Scherbak was a former 1st round pick (26th, 2014) and follows a long line of 1st round busts in the last 7-8 years for Montreal. Has all the tools but can't seem to put it together. That was a pretty weak draft overall past the top 10, but the Habs missed out on Pastrnak by one spot (25th) and Josh Ho-Sang was still available and went to the Islanders at 28th.

Leipsic is a smallish winger with speed but not a lot of hands. Not quite what the Kings need but one common theme pretty much through all of Blake's dumpster moves the last 18 months is speed. My thinking is even if they don't have hands, he is thinking they will back off a defense and allow some of the slower guys to get open or get space. Just my theory, I could be completely wrong.

Overall, two more low risk moves, it's becoming a staple of Blake for sure. He is going to have to make a relatively big move here at some point moving a long time member of LA based on the cap and situation, so we have to see how he does.

Also just saw Scherbak's minor's salary is $70,000. Even though the Inland Empire is less expensive than other areas near by, getting by on $70,000 is going to be tough. Leipsic however will make $650,000.

Rent alone is going to mug that dude unless one of the Kings takes him in or something.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reign players all moved closer to Southbay in order to practice at Kings' facility. They just play games in Ontario.
But yeah, the cost of living in SoCal has got to be a shock to a lot of these guys.

I sat next to some SD Gulls' players last year on a plane ride back from Sacramento. They were saying stuff like "I still use my parents Netflix's account", "My Mom sent me a gift card for CostCo", etc, etc. Not too cheap down here in LoCal either.