• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as how he was stupid enough to get a brain injury in the offseason, then get arrested and cuss out cops, he's probably broke by now.

But when you and your agent shop yourself out to other teams years before you would have been a FA for the team that drafted you, you can go ahead and repay the money you absolutely didn't earn with Seattle.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks have done right by players such as Lynch, Kam, & Baldwin with regards to not going after signing bonus when those players gave everything they had for the organization, so I think they've built the moral capital to go after guys like McDowell who haven't/didn't. The message is the right one.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks have done right by players such as Lynch, Kam, & Baldwin with regards to not going after signing bonus when those players gave everything they had for the organization, so I think they've built the moral capital to go after guys like McDowell who haven't/didn't. The message is the right one.

This is a warning to every high round draft pick the Seahawks make in the future. The money they want to recoup is chump change in the grand scheme of things.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a breach of contract so yeah, the FO should get that money back.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDowell is claiming that he was cleared to play, but Seattle wouldn't let him. Interesting defense, since I guess Dallas was willing to sign him, but couldn't clear him to play - either (if the rumors are true).

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would rather the hawks just let it go in the grand scheme of things 800k is really nothing I don't want to have news articles talking about the seahawks taking players to court.

The hawks have kept this whole thing under wrap I think its beyond just the injury with the ATV and the league and other teams know about it because Malik would have been signed with a team on a 1 year deal. The fact that he is still a free agent tells me there is more going on.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDowell is claiming that he was cleared to play, but Seattle wouldn't let him. Interesting defense, since I guess Dallas was willing to sign him, but couldn't clear him to play - either (if the rumors are true).

I am sure he hired lawyers and told him that if he had his own doctors write that he could play that is the evidence he needed to keep the money even though all parties know its a long shot.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would rather the hawks just let it go in the grand scheme of things 800k is really nothing I don't want to have news articles talking about the seahawks taking players to court.

Can i have $800,000.00 for nothing please? i mean in the grand scheme of things it really is nothing right?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can a Seahawks fans explain to me why it is that ex Seahawk players always seem to be attracted to Dallas?
It just appears that everytimea Seahawk player is cut or a FA he's headed south to Texas. Is it a rule?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can a Seahawks fans explain to me why it is that ex Seahawk players always seem to be attracted to Dallas?
It just appears that everytimea Seahawk player is cut or a FA he's headed south to Texas. Is it a rule?

Like who? McDowell? Dallas was the only team that showed Interest in him lol. Thomas? He played his college ball in Texas who else? To me the majority of exHawks use to end up playing for Lions lol. Also Kris Richards is in Dallas the Hawks Ex DC so there is a connection there for Defensive players and Kris knows the players.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can i have $800,000.00 for nothing please? i mean in the grand scheme of things it really is nothing right?

If I was a billionaire that makes hundreds of millions every year and I already gave you the money and the only way I could get that money back is a long legal battle where I would need to hire and pay more money for top of the line lawyers.

you can keep it I will be alright

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a billionaire that makes hundreds of millions every year and I already gave you the money and the only way I could get that money back is a long legal battle where I would need to hire and pay more money for top of the line lawyers.

you can keep it I will be alright

even if that person is calling your teams owner, doctors, consultants and coaches liars! i don't think so, it's so easy to say yeah i would but no you wouldn't, not $800,000. Not when that person broke his contract then has called the Hawks Liars and that they had an Ulterior motive to releasing him. Look what they did for Kam, and Avril and Lockette when these guys got hurt and couldn't play. The thing is they Gave McDowell 2 years even though they knew with his brain damage he would most likely never be able to play again. The legal battle for this was over very quickly as it was a open and shut case.

The Cowboys had him in and that was it no more news or rumors because they saw he was unfit to play. His ATV accident has cost him a big chunk of his cognitive function and yes he still wants to play but he is just not suited for life in the NFL any more mentally and physically. Heck i hear he has problems just functioning for day to day life.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like who? McDowell? Dallas was the only team that showed Interest in him lol. Thomas? He played his college ball in Texas who else? To me the majority of exHawks use to end up playing for Lions lol. Also Kris Richards is in Dallas the Hawks Ex DC so there is a connection there for Defensive players and Kris knows the players.

Thanks

Just seems here in the east that every time I see a an Ex Seahawk his name somehow gets attached to the Cowboys as a potential landing spot. Having former coaches on a team make thinks much more clear.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if that person is calling your teams owner, doctors, consultants and coaches liars! i don't think so, it's so easy to say yeah i would but no you wouldn't, not $800,000. Not when that person broke his contract then has called the Hawks Liars and that they had an Ulterior motive to releasing him. Look what they did for Kam, and Avril and Lockette when these guys got hurt and couldn't play. The thing is they Gave McDowell 2 years even though they knew with his brain damage he would most likely never be able to play again. The legal battle for this was over very quickly as it was a open and shut case.

The Cowboys had him in and that was it no more news or rumors because they saw he was unfit to play. His ATV accident has cost him a big chunk of his cognitive function and yes he still wants to play but he is just not suited for life in the NFL any more mentally and physically. Heck i hear he has problems just functioning for day to day life.

I am very confident that I would not care I think 800k to a billionaire is like 20 bucks to a regular person. I would rather his name not be mentioned anywhere in the locker room or asked by the media and just have him gone.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may only be 800K but that money goes back on the cap which is needed throughout the season.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you take into account that $129,000 is the minimum cost for a full year practice squad player then you really see the value of that $800,000. You are blowing off a massive amount of money because the "owner" has billions. That is the owner and his money doesn't count because the Hawks DO NO have billions to spend. The Cap is in place basically so teams can't buy championships or all the best players, that $800,000 is huge and could be the amount for 2 years of a late 4th round player.

You are not looking at it like a business Seattlefan.

PS yes i know you know why the cap is in place lol

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very confident that I would not care I think 800k to a billionaire is like 20 bucks to a regular person. I would rather his name not be mentioned anywhere in the locker room or asked by the media and just have him gone.

Generally, billionaires don’t have billions because they let hundreds of thousands go that didn’t need to go. Billionaires who do let hundreds of thousands go in situations like this are generally ex-billionaires pretty quickly.

Besides, this isn’t about the money, this is about the contract that McDowell breeched, and the subsequent arbitration he has ignored. McDowell is contractually and arbitrarily required to pay the money back, and it isn’t in the best interest of the team or the owner to allow broken contracts to go unpursued.