• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dropping Taveras

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a bit of a situation in my ESPN league where I think I need to drop Taveras to make room for production now. Its hard to drop someone who could end up doing great and I'm not owning him.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be dropped in redraft leagues.
(as much as that pains me to say)

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a keeper league, 6 players.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a keeper league, 6 players.

a keeper league with 10-12 teams, he can be cut. Even if someone picks him up, with only 6 keepers there will be a slew of rookies available for next years draft.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends.

Where are you in the standings? If you are middle to back, then I say no. No point in dropping a guy who could be a future cornerstone to gain a couple points in the standings unless you have a realistic shot to win this season.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends.

Where are you in the standings? If you are middle to back, then I say no. No point in dropping a guy who could be a future cornerstone to gain a couple points in the standings unless you have a realistic shot to win this season.

:agree: If you're not gonna make it this year, don't kill your future. He hasn't suddenly turned into chopped liver, know what I mean?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a keeper, it would be like dropping Polanco.
Don't do it.
If you need the roster spot, find a team to deal him to.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: If you're not gonna make it this year, don't kill your future. He hasn't suddenly turned into chopped liver, know what I mean?

Chef, this was your first draft in the keeper league. We kept 8 with 12 teams. Look at all the prospects that were available. Springer, Correa, Baez, Polanco.

Unless you're in a league full of guys like Philabuster who gobble up and stash minor leaguers, there is no need to keep someone like Taveras with only 6 keepers. And if you have a bunch of prospect hounds in your league and they keep all the kids, there will be a buttload of talent available to you in the draft.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chef, this was your first draft in the keeper league. We kept 8 with 12 teams. Look at all the prospects that were available. Springer, Correa, Baez, Polanco.

Unless you're in a league full of guys like Philabuster who gobble up and stash minor leaguers, there is no need to keep someone like Taveras with only 6 keepers. And if you have a bunch of prospect hounds in your league and they keep all the kids, there will be a buttload of talent available to you in the draft.

Good point, but I wasn't just referring to my own situation. And who is to say Oscar won't turn out to be as good or better than any prospect available? It's a lot of speculation and preference until we actually see how it ends up, I think. Wil Myers, for example. Does anyone really know how his worth will end up? :noidea:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this 100%,

But again, if you have a last place team, you should be trading for guys like Taveras, Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez, not dropping them for a fill in. Taveras might be a better keeper option than his 6th best player if his team is struggling.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taveras might be a better keeper option than his 6th best player if his team is struggling.

Good point and this would be the only exception to my statement.

I would look at your team. decide who your 6 keepers are and then use every other player you have on your roster in any possible trade you can to upgrade your players for next year.

If you have to include one of the players you've singled out as a keeper, make sure whatever you get back is an upgrade over that player.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did drop him unfortunately, but I own Springer. And I will be looking out for Buxton I guess if someone takes Taveras. I'm not going to call it quits, I plan to fight back. I just claimed Trumbo off waivers so he replaces the loss of Taveras. I also picked up Rasmus. I cannot say my season is over until I'm 40 games back in July. Then, I will declare it over.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did drop him unfortunately, but I own Springer. And I will be looking out for Buxton I guess if someone takes Taveras. I'm not going to call it quits, I plan to fight back. I just claimed Trumbo off waivers so he replaces the loss of Taveras. I also picked up Rasmus. I cannot say my season is over until I'm 40 games back in July. Then, I will declare it over.

That is an approach that can get you in a lot of trouble in keeper leagues. It is nearly impossible to win without a strong keeper core, and if you are always playing for today without ever rebuilding, you are likely to finish in the middle every year without ever really having a chance to win.

Sometimes it is better to be really bad for a little while and hit the reset button.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been bad for three years. I was not as bad in 2012 but I'm also in a unlucky division. The guy leading it is second in the league overall. I would say this and its true. Waiting on Myers last year and waiting on Taveras this year caused me to get behind early. That spot could be used by a productive bat or pitcher. I will be honest I dropped Cabrera before the season started. If I wasnt so concerned about Taveras, then I'd be in a better spot right now because of Cabrera. I drafted Machado thinking he would do what he did last year and improve on it and I find out he inst starting the first few weeks, so I had to get a replacement because Rendon wasn't 3b eligible then. I picked up Asche and dropped Cabrera. I picked up Springer, believing the preseason hype and dropped Hudson. Right before the season started I debated on Corbin, not sure about his situation. I took the chance, dropped him, and added Wong, believing the preseasin hype on him as well. So before the season even started I dropped a major power and speed source and a almost ace and lost one to injury. I suck at roto baseball basically.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been bad for three years. I was not as bad in 2012 but I'm also in a unlucky division. The guy leading it is second in the league overall. I would say this and its true. Waiting on Myers last year and waiting on Taveras this year caused me to get behind early. That spot could be used by a productive bat or pitcher. I will be honest I dropped Cabrera before the season started. If I wasnt so concerned about Taveras, then I'd be in a better spot right now because of Cabrera. I drafted Machado thinking he would do what he did last year and improve on it and I find out he inst starting the first few weeks, so I had to get a replacement because Rendon wasn't 3b eligible then. I picked up Asche and dropped Cabrera. I picked up Springer, believing the preseason hype and dropped Hudson. Right before the season started I debated on Corbin, not sure about his situation. I took the chance, dropped him, and added Wong, believing the preseasin hype on him as well. So before the season even started I dropped a major power and speed source and a almost ace and lost one to injury. I suck at roto baseball basically.

You know what they say...

Don't Believe the Hype

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I can't help thinking that it would make a good title for a movie. Y'know, like "Finding Nemo", or "About Schmidt". ;)

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he's still on the FA. So should I add him back tomorrow? I already plan to add Gentry and Whitley(he's been sneaky good) but want to preserve my adds this time.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well........he's back. And I have him again.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well........he's back. And I have him again.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with him. Looks like Craig might lose some at-bats. I've read that Adams might as well, but as hot as he is, I have a hard time seeing that. Perhaps there is a trade in the works?