• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Drinking the Hater-ade

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All sports fans have a favorite team. It's who we root for year in and year out to win championships, and we're emotionally invested in everything they do. We follow even the smallest bits of news that concern our home team, reveling in the good news, devastated by the bad news. We also have favorite players. They might be members of our favorite team, but they don't have to be. Barry Sanders is my favorite football player of all-time, and he never played for my Bengals team. The reasons for liking them could be nearly anything, but once we become a fan, we usually stay a fan no matter where they go. Likewise, there are teams and players we dislike for varying reasons. So, I'm going to do something a little different. Here are my least favorite players in various sports of all-time, in no particular order.

Christian Laettner-To begin with, he plays for Duke, which automatically puts him in a hole, but it goes beyond that. In the 1992 NCAA tournament, Duke met my Kentucky Wildcats in the round of 8, with the winner going to the Final Four. Going into the game, I didn't have an opinion of Laettner at all, but once he stomped on Aminu Timberlake's chest, I found myself screaming at the TV in rage at the audacity of this guy. The fact that he then broke my (and all of Big Blue Nation's) heart with the shot that I'm forced to relive every year just cemented him as my most hated athlete of all time.

Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin-I have never liked the Dallas Cowboys, so it hurt to see them win Super Bowls in 3 out of 4 years in the early 90's. Irvin was a loud-mouthed, cocky, in your face WR who made plays, then rubbed them in my face. He drove me crazy. As for Smith, he racked up yards on top of yards behind a great offensive line, and I felt he got more credit than he deserved. Add to that fact, my favorite player was Sanders, and it didn't seem that you could like both of them. Also, you will never convince me that Smith would still be the all-time leading rusher if Sanders had kept playing.

Hines Ward-It's hard for me to narrow it down to just one member of the Steelers, as I don't really like any of them. Hines, however, personifies the team, and is the one that grates on me the most. I can't count the number of times I've seen him assault an opponent, then come up with that goofy grin on his face. He's a great player, without a doubt, but his cheap shots on opposing players, summed up by his blindside shot on Keith Rivers a few years ago, make me want to throw stuff at my television.

Greg Maddux-I actually used to be a fan of the Atlanta Braves. I wanted them to beat the Minnesota Twins in the 1991 World Series, and when they blew it, I started disliking them. Maddux wasn't on the team that year, joining in 1993. He and the rest of that pitching staff continued to lead the Braves to the playoffs every season, with Maddux as the main guy. I can't really pinpoint what I hate about him most, but the way he looked, played, and more importantly, kept taking the Braves to the playoffs, irked me beyond belief.

Jeff Gordon-Dale Earnhardt is the greatest driver in NASCAR history. When Gordon came along and started winning championships, and thus, comparisons to Earnhardt, it instantly put him on the hate list. He was given the best equipment, team, and cars that money could buy, and all the attention on a kid who my favorite driver didn't like made him easy to dislike. The fact that he hasn't, and probably won't, get to Earnhardt's 7 championship pleases me greatly.

Patrick Ewing-The Knicks are another team that I have never liked, and I love the fact that they could never get a ring during Ewing's run. My two favorite NBA players were Michael Jordan and Reggie Miller, and watching those two have some signature moments against the Knicks made me very happy. Ewing was the face of that team, and thus the primary target of my dislike.

Terrell Owens-TE-rrell not te-RELL is pretty self-explanatory. His antics have stretched across several locker rooms, with a promise to be good, followed by a great season or two, followed by an explosion. His last season was for the Bengals, and while he had a decent season stat-wise, he seemed to play half-heartedly at times, and didn't seem to care, dropping balls and displaying a nice set of alligator arms. He'll probably be a Hall of Famer, but he'd never get my vote.

Derek Jeter-The Yankees are another Major League Baseball team I hate, and Jeter is the leader. His postseason heroics made me wince, and the overdone hype made me sick. He was a really good player, but never as good as the media would like him to be, and insist that he was. My hate for Jeter has subsided some over the years, but I'll always root against him and the Yankees.

Tim Tebow-By all accounts, Tebow is a good person. It's admirable that he seems to be one of the good guys in sports. However, since his days at Florida, ESPN and other media outlets have made sure that more than 5 minutes doesn't go by without mentioning him. This season, Tebow took over as the starter of the Denver Broncos, and even though he struggled to find open WRs and completed less than half of his passes, the team won and Tebow was given, in my opinion, undue credit. He made some plays, but if you listen to the media, he played 11-on-1. The hype has made me hate a genuinely good guy.

There are definitely others that I dislike, and maybe I'll write Part II sometime. The above guys are the cream of the crop, so to speak, though. They're the guys I dislike more than any other, the guys I don't even like seeing on my TV screen, and in some cases, the guys who have haunted the teams I love. I would be much happier if these guys had found other vocations in life, so I never had to hear about them. They all have earned my scorn in one way or another, from very different fields, in very different ways. They do have one thing in common though, they were all great players that earned the right to be hated by me, but definitely adored by millions.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diego Guevara. I hated that bastard with all my heart.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All sports fans have a favorite team. It's who we root for year in and year out to win championships, and we're emotionally invested in everything they do. We follow even the smallest bits of news that concern our home team, reveling in the good news, devastated by the bad news. We also have favorite players. They might be members of our favorite team, but they don't have to be. Barry Sanders is my favorite football player of all-time, and he never played for my Bengals team. The reasons for liking them could be nearly anything, but once we become a fan, we usually stay a fan no matter where they go. Likewise, there are teams and players we dislike for varying reasons. So, I'm going to do something a little different. Here are my least favorite players in various sports of all-time, in no particular order.

Christian Laettner-To begin with, he plays for Duke, which automatically puts him in a hole, but it goes beyond that. In the 1992 NCAA tournament, Duke met my Kentucky Wildcats in the round of 8, with the winner going to the Final Four. Going into the game, I didn't have an opinion of Laettner at all, but once he stomped on Aminu Timberlake's chest, I found myself screaming at the TV in rage at the audacity of this guy. The fact that he then broke my (and all of Big Blue Nation's) heart with the shot that I'm forced to relive every year just cemented him as my most hated athlete of all time.

Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin-I have never liked the Dallas Cowboys, so it hurt to see them win Super Bowls in 3 out of 4 years in the early 90's. Irvin was a loud-mouthed, cocky, in your face WR who made plays, then rubbed them in my face. He drove me crazy. As for Smith, he racked up yards on top of yards behind a great offensive line, and I felt he got more credit than he deserved. Add to that fact, my favorite player was Sanders, and it didn't seem that you could like both of them. Also, you will never convince me that Smith would still be the all-time leading rusher if Sanders had kept playing.

Hines Ward-It's hard for me to narrow it down to just one member of the Steelers, as I don't really like any of them. Hines, however, personifies the team, and is the one that grates on me the most. I can't count the number of times I've seen him assault an opponent, then come up with that goofy grin on his face. He's a great player, without a doubt, but his cheap shots on opposing players, summed up by his blindside shot on Keith Rivers a few years ago, make me want to throw stuff at my television.

Greg Maddux-I actually used to be a fan of the Atlanta Braves. I wanted them to beat the Minnesota Twins in the 1991 World Series, and when they blew it, I started disliking them. Maddux wasn't on the team that year, joining in 1993. He and the rest of that pitching staff continued to lead the Braves to the playoffs every season, with Maddux as the main guy. I can't really pinpoint what I hate about him most, but the way he looked, played, and more importantly, kept taking the Braves to the playoffs, irked me beyond belief.

Jeff Gordon-Dale Earnhardt is the greatest driver in NASCAR history. When Gordon came along and started winning championships, and thus, comparisons to Earnhardt, it instantly put him on the hate list. He was given the best equipment, team, and cars that money could buy, and all the attention on a kid who my favorite driver didn't like made him easy to dislike. The fact that he hasn't, and probably won't, get to Earnhardt's 7 championship pleases me greatly.

Patrick Ewing-The Knicks are another team that I have never liked, and I love the fact that they could never get a ring during Ewing's run. My two favorite NBA players were Michael Jordan and Reggie Miller, and watching those two have some signature moments against the Knicks made me very happy. Ewing was the face of that team, and thus the primary target of my dislike.

Terrell Owens-TE-rrell not te-RELL is pretty self-explanatory. His antics have stretched across several locker rooms, with a promise to be good, followed by a great season or two, followed by an explosion. His last season was for the Bengals, and while he had a decent season stat-wise, he seemed to play half-heartedly at times, and didn't seem to care, dropping balls and displaying a nice set of alligator arms. He'll probably be a Hall of Famer, but he'd never get my vote.

Derek Jeter-The Yankees are another Major League Baseball team I hate, and Jeter is the leader. His postseason heroics made me wince, and the overdone hype made me sick. He was a really good player, but never as good as the media would like him to be, and insist that he was. My hate for Jeter has subsided some over the years, but I'll always root against him and the Yankees.

Tim Tebow-By all accounts, Tebow is a good person. It's admirable that he seems to be one of the good guys in sports. However, since his days at Florida, ESPN and other media outlets have made sure that more than 5 minutes doesn't go by without mentioning him. This season, Tebow took over as the starter of the Denver Broncos, and even though he struggled to find open WRs and completed less than half of his passes, the team won and Tebow was given, in my opinion, undue credit. He made some plays, but if you listen to the media, he played 11-on-1. The hype has made me hate a genuinely good guy.

There are definitely others that I dislike, and maybe I'll write Part II sometime. The above guys are the cream of the crop, so to speak, though. They're the guys I dislike more than any other, the guys I don't even like seeing on my TV screen, and in some cases, the guys who have haunted the teams I love. I would be much happier if these guys had found other vocations in life, so I never had to hear about them. They all have earned my scorn in one way or another, from very different fields, in very different ways. They do have one thing in common though, they were all great players that earned the right to be hated by me, but definitely adored by millions.

Nice Vance!(rep)bud.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what makes him one of my favorite players of all time. Go Duke!!

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My hate list? I could go on for days but I'll limit it to like 5 or so.
The entire Yankees organization - This one is pretty self explanatory. They get the most press coverage, pay some of the biggest and best assholes in baseball a ton of money, and their fans stretch across the U.S. for no reason other than the fact that they can buy wins and dominate ESPiN.

Every Nascar Driver that isn't Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson Now this one is surprising to most. Why would I like these two? Because they're generally the most hated by all people who love NASCAR and think they're a couple of California gays who don't belong in the deep south's treasured sport. I find that funny, so I root for them to win so I can hear the white trash in my hometown call them fags, which humors me, because they both have smoking hot wives (ingrid vandebosch, wowzas)

Duke - Pretty much just because they win and I have a hard time believing anybody in Ohio I know has any actual ties to this school. They're just a bunch of loud mouthed asshole fans, and that makes me hate them.

The Steelers - I won't and shouldn't have to explain this

Nick Swisher - While he's included in all of the Yankees, I hate him the most. This asshole gets big bucks from my White Sox and bats .219 with 135 strikeouts. Just a complete bust. Then he goes to the Yankees, hits homers in their short porch, and he's suddenly America's sweetheart closing out the Stock Exchange for the day, in the Derby, and an All-Star. Fuck him.

Michael Bisping - Between this dickhead and the numerous Brits on Xbox live I've dealt with I've come to realize I now hate British people more than any other demographic of people. This dude looks dumb when he fights, sounds dumb when he talks, and if I wasn't completely he would knock me out I'd really like to punch him in the face. Watching him win is like eating piss-covered cheerios. Soggy and bitter.

Soccer The entire sport. I hate the World Cup, I hate the MLS, I hate people who try to talk to me about soccer. I get that people think baseball is boring, so I don't talk to them about it. Every 4 years though America turns soccer crazy (Wait, ESPN has the rights and shows English Premier games... these two things can't correlate, could they?), and it drives me nuts. Stupid sport, stupid fans, kill me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hate all the dudes that you do with the exception of NASCAR which I dont give a shit about. Also, I hate the Yankees with a passion but actually kinda like Jeter. He's the Brady of the NFL. Now A-Rod on the other hand I loathe. He's one of my most hated athletes.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Xavier

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh...that dude was so annoying. I wanted to jump out of the stands or through the TV and stab him.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can still see that throat slashing gesture he laid on our fans after nailing a bunch of threes to help beat us.....yeah, hate him, but my biggest hate is reserved for Joe Montana.....luckiest bastard ever; I think the big earthquake could hit California, and it would fall in the sea, and the only spot left above ground would be the spot Montana was standing on......:lm:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
90% of the proposed "Tebow Hype" is imaginary, it is the fabrication of anti-religious morons like Bill Maher. It does not exist. I sat and watched ESPN waiting for this constant "Tebow news" and mentioning every 5 minutes... nothing...

When a QB makes a comeback in the last 2 minutes, it will be a highlight reel, it just so happens that he made a lot of them.

As for the 10%... The mentions about him possibly dating Kim Kardasian and all that crap. Is a little annoying. Also, there was a special that aired about his high school days, very seldom do you see this done for any NFL football player. This is actually a snowball affect from his Florida days.

So, in summary, there is some over attention, and by all accounts there is a huge following for this Cinderella story in which Tim Tebow scrambles in glass slippers while the rest of the team waits to turn back into mice and old horses. But 90% of it is the imagination of hateful people.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we can be friends anymore after thi revelation. Laettner was the biggest douchebag in the history of college basketball.

LOL.

Actually, he is one of my favorite players of all time. Him and Grant Hill are my favorite of all time.

But then again, I like pretty much everyone from Duke. Goes all the way back to the Danny Ferry days.

I absolutely can't stand anyone from Kentucky or North Carolina....in the later years..Uconn has pissed me off quite a bit too.

Kentucky is my college basketball quivalent to the Steelers.

Laettner's shot against Kentucky that game was the greatest college basketball play ever in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players I loathe past and present:

Chipper Jones
Heinz Ward
Wil Clark
Lawrence Funderburk
Ray Lewis
Jim Kelly
Peyton Manning (I don't hate him as much as I used to).
Jay Culter

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Montana, for obvious reasons....
2) Lewis Billups -- his "hands" were personally responsible for #1
3) Chris Carpenter -- though I'm sure he won't be able to tell his son
4) Tony LaRussa -- stay retired, ya whining bastard
5) Yadier Molina -- the instigator
6) Hines Ward -- the smiling cheap shot artist
7) Jerome Bettis -- because he represents two things I hate...Steelers and Notre Dame

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hines Ward
A-Roid - cheater, falls apart in the playoffs, yankee.
Jason Giambi - see above
Kobe - Rapes chicks, Shaq is the reason he's compared to Jordan
Rex Ryan - not a player, but ZERO redeeming qualities.
Lance Berkman - can be playing like shit, but still will blow up the Reds

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Montana, for obvious reasons....
2) Lewis Billups -- his "hands" were personally responsible for #1
3) Chris Carpenter -- though I'm sure he won't be able to tell his son
4) Tony LaRussa -- stay retired, ya whining bastard
5) Yadier Molina -- the instigator
6) Hines Ward -- the smiling cheap shot artist
7) Jerome Bettis -- because he represents two things I hate...Steelers and Notre Dame

I can agree with that list, but luke warm on Billups since everyone makes mistakes, ask Wes Welker.

I can add:
Brett Favre
Troy Aikman
Steve Young with a f'n passion
Marshall Faulk with a f'n passion
Ben Roethlisberger
Ray Lewis
Barry Bonds
Mark MacGuire
Sammy Sosa
Roy Oswalt
Jeff Bagwell