• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft talk time

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the Detroit Lions should draft DeVonta Smith - Pride Of Detroit

So why DeVonta Smith and not the other top receiving prospects in the draft? Well, every pick made in the NFL Draft is not without risk, and if I’m going to bet on one receiver in this draft, I’m putting my money on Smith. You’re not going to find another WR in this draft matching the pure talent that he showcases.

How he fits with Detroit​

If selected, Smith would be an immediate upgrade to their WR corps and could start Day 1 as one of their top receiving options. Ideally, Smith can handle multiple roles (Z, X or slot). As a Z receiver, Smith can use the extra space to his advantage lining up off the LOS. I also trust him as an X receiver on the line of scrimmage, as he proved he can handle the role despite being surrounded with other first-round receivers that were much bigger than him at Alabama. Smith was also extremely effective in the slot with Alabama, which should translate to the next level. Put him anywhere and he will get his.

Smith’s ability to create separation at all three levels of the field is unparalleled. It reminds me of how the Lions were able to utilize Golden Tate, but I like Smith a lot more in the intermediate/deep areas of the field.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

I Cannot wait to watch DeVonta Smith win offensive rookie of the year

As a Detroit Lion

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL Draft: Buying or selling the latest risers and fallers | NFL Draft | PFF

RISER

OT LIAM EICHENBERG, NOTRE DAME: BUY​

There is a small, small chance we could hear Eichenberg’s name called late in Round 1 depending on if we see a run of tackles, but either way, he now looks like an early second-round pick. While he has shorter arms and doesn't stack up athletically to Texas' Sam Cosmi or North Dakota State's Dillon Radunz, he is NFL-ready from a technical standpoint and, as noted in PFF's 2021 NFL Draft Guide, has one of the highest floors in the class.

Eichenberg played more than 2,600 snaps over the past three years and showed notable growth throughout that span; his PFF grade improved from 63.1 to 80.5 to 89.9. Over the past two years, Eichenberg didn’t allow a single sack. In 2020, there was only one blemish on his grading profile from a pass-protection standpoint — in Week 6 against Florida State when he played with his left eye swollen shut. Take that game out of the equation and he is the third-highest-graded Power Five tackle in pass protection. Talk about a true football guy.

He does need to work on his hand usage, as he won’t get away with throwing a two-handed punch in the NFL, but Eichenberg looks like the next Notre Dame offensive lineman to blossom into a quality starter at the next level.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the Lions draft WR at No. 7 I could see Eichenberg or Cosmi being drafted at No.41

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL Mock Draft: PFF senior analysts mock all 7 rounds | NFL Draft | PFF

they have the Lions drafting
started out good with first two picks

No. 7 WR DeVonta Smith............... Bama
No. 41 WR Kadarius Toney............ Flo-Rida
No. 72 DT Milton Williams............. La Tech
No. 101 Edge Chris Rumph ll........ Duke
No. 112 CB Trill Williams................. Paul Pasqualoni U.
No. 153 CB Olaijah Griffin.............. USC

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL Draft: Draft stock risers and fallers | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections | PFF

WR KADARIUS TONEY, FLORIDA

Kadarius Toney is the most dynamic athlete in this draft class with the football in his hands. He forced 20 missed tackles last season (fifth-most) on 70 catches — he's a human joystick in the open field.

Toney possesses sure hands, dropping only three of 123 career catchable targets. He hauled in 83% of his targets last season, fifth-most in the nation and trailing only Jaylen Waddle and Elijah Moore among draft prospects.

Percy Harvin was a 5-foot-11 and 200-pound lightning rocket out of the University of Florida back in 2009. He posted his best season in 2012 (90.2 PFF grade, third among all wide receivers) and led the league with 22 forced missed tackles (five more than anyone else). There is a lot of Percy Harvin in Kadarius Toney.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^^^

highly doubt he makes it past the Packers in 1st round or 1st handful of picks in 2nd round
if they're smart enough to help Rodgers/Adams

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS RIGHT HERE

2021 NFL Draft: Draft stock risers and fallers | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections | PFF

WR DEVONTA SMITH, ALABAMA

So why is his draft stock declining? Enter the BMI and weight debate, with the latest whispers revealing Smith may weigh in as low as 166 pounds. Will a NFL team be comfortable spending a top-15 selection on a wide receiver that weighs less than 170 pounds? They should — whichever team pulls the trigger will be getting an absolute stud.

It is difficult to find on-field cons for Smith. His weight has been beaten to death over the last few months, but that is his only negative. When that's the only concern — and it hasn't even come to light as an issue on a college football field — then there's not much to be worried about. Smith is a versatile game-breaker who just wins. That is a fit for any scheme in the NFL.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU CB Stingley is arguably CB1 for 2022 draft and Smith well you can see for yourself

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might very well end up lasting until round 4 or 5

Linsey: 'My guys' at each position in the 2021 NFL Draft | NFL Draft | PFF

INTERIOR DEFENDER: OSA ODIGHIZUWA, UCLA

PFF Big Board rank: 93rd

Odighizuwa may be undersized at 282 pounds, but he doesn’t play like it. That was evident at the Senior Bowl, where he was the highest-graded interior defensive lineman both during the week of practices and in the game itself.

That performance joined a resume that already included four seasons of solid play at UCLA. Odighizuwa graded out at 74.0 or higher in run defense on at least 250 defensive snaps in each of his campaigns with the Bruins, and he showed signs of improvement the past two seasons as a pass rusher.

Odighizuwa grades by season at UCLA​

YearSnapsRun-defense gradePass-rush grade
Odighizuwa has the explosiveness (10-foot broad jump), length (34-inch arms) and strength to make up for his size in the NFL. In a weak interior defensive line class, he’s one player who I feel fairly confident will provide value when he ends up coming off the board.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LINEBACKER: PETE WERNER, OHIO STATE

PFF Big Board rank: 97th

PFF’s Seth Galina explored how modern football was changing the linebacker position earlier this offseason. You should read the full piece here, but the short version is that the linebacker position is becoming increasingly difficult, especially for limited athletes.

Werner projects as one of the better athletes in this class after posting a sub-seven-second three-cone, a 4.52-second 40-yard dash and a 40-inch vertical at 6-foot-3 and 238 pounds during his Pro Day. That combination of size and athleticism is what defensive coordinators are looking for.

His production as a three-year starter at Ohio State wasn’t great from a PFF grading standpoint, but he has the ability to take on blocks in the run game and not stick out as a liability in coverage. He’s the kind of athlete I would want to take a chance on Day 2 after the first wave of linebackers comes off the board.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish this kid would last until No.72 - or Richie Grant at same slot - if not, I'd want to draft Cincy S James Wiggins on day 3

SAFETY: JEVON HOLLAND, OREGON

PFF Big Board rank: 50th

It’s easy to forget just how good Holland was as a starter in Oregon’s secondary across the 2018 and 2019 seasons after he opted out of the 2020 campaign.

Holland played deep at free safety more than any other alignment in 2018, ending the year with an 89.6 coverage grade and 11 combined interceptions and pass breakups. Nearly 600 of his 881 defensive snaps in 2019 came from the slot, highlighting a shift in responsibilities. Holland delivered once again in that new role. He recorded a second straight PFF coverage grade above 85.0 with improved run support and tackling.

His nose for the football, size and processing speed should allow him to continue to find success in a versatile role in the NFL. Players who can thrive both in the slot and as a safety, as Holland has proven capable of, bring value to NFL defenses that are increasingly turning to nickel and dime looks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 NFL Team Reportedly Tried To Trade Up To No. 4 For Ja'Marr Chase (thespun.com)

Ja’Marr Chase is considered the best wide receiver in the 2021 NFL Draft by a solid margin. As a result, there is a strong market for the LSU product.

Most analysts have Chase coming off the board within the first seven picks. He’s been linked to the Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins due to their need for another wideout.

Well, it turns out there’s a third team in the top 10 showing interest in Chase. According to ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler, the Detroit Lions tried to move up a few spots earlier this week so they could take the LSU star.

“There was chatter early in the week that the Lions tried to trade up to No. 4 to get Chase, but the Falcons’ asking price was too high,” Fowler said, via ESPN.

It’s interesting that Fowler said the Falcons’ asking price for the No. 4 pick was too high, especially since they’d only drop down three spots if they agreed to a deal with the Lions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions were willing to trade up for Chase all the while assuming they'd be giving up either their 2021 2nd round along with No. 7 or
No. 7 and both of their 2021 3rd round picks (ATL No. 4 worth 1800 and Lions No. 7 worth 1500, either of No. 41 worth 490 or No. 72 worth 235 and No. 101 worth 96) then they must be okay with Crosby or they have a 2nd round or 3rd round OT prospect they'd be willing to roll with.

Makes you wonder what where they're at with the O-Line

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS RIGHT HERE

WR DEVONTA SMITH, ALABAMA

So why is his draft stock declining? Enter the BMI and weight debate, with the latest whispers revealing Smith may weigh in as low as 166 pounds. Will a NFL team be comfortable spending a top-15 selection on a wide receiver that weighs less than 170 pounds? They should — whichever team pulls the trigger will be getting an absolute stud.

It is difficult to find on-field cons for Smith. His weight has been beaten to death over the last few months, but that is his only negative. When that's the only concern — and it hasn't even come to light as an issue on a college football field — then there's not much to be worried about. Smith is a versatile game-breaker who just wins. That is a fit for any scheme in the NFL.

This article does a great job of breaking down the concerns, and comes to the conclusion that Smith is an exception and should not be dropping.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This article does a great job of breaking down the concerns, and comes to the conclusion that Smith is an exception and should not be dropping.

Great article but PFF Renner is absolutely full of shit when he stated "NFL Corners" are grown men all weighing 205 lbs and not the young, under-developed CFB players. If I went over every roster of outside plus slot CB (96 CB in total) that 70% of those CB weigh 190 or less - Safety is or can be different. This whole idea that Smith cannot win in the NFL is garbage. Will he lose more one-on-ones in the NFL than in CFB ? Yes.

Bottom line is that I have no reservations drafting him as every single prospect has the same possibility becoming injured. Look at all the big boy OT, OG, iDL, Big Edge/Ends that get injured coming in from CFB during training camp or even Veteran players.

I'd be lying if I stated that I'll never cringe when he takes some certain hits though just like I have watching him in every damn game he's played over the last 4 years at Bama.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article but PFF Renner is absolutely full of shit when he stated "NFL Corners" are grown men all weighing 205 lbs and not the young, under-developed CFB players. If I went over every roster of outside plus slot CB (96 CB in total) that 70% of those CB weigh 190 or less - Safety is or can be different. This whole idea that Smith cannot win in the NFL is garbage. Will he lose more one-on-ones in the NFL than in CFB ? Yes.

Bottom line is that I have no reservations drafting him as every single prospect has the same possibility becoming injured. Look at all the big boy OT, OG, iDL, Big Edge/Ends that get injured coming in from CFB during training camp or even Veteran players.

I'd be lying if I stated that I'll never cringe when he takes some certain hits though just like I have watching him in every damn game he's played over the last 4 years at Bama.
I liked Domonique Foxworths take. (paraphrase)If I jam Metcalf, I am going to get knocked back and it looks ugly, but I won that battle. Passing is timing and the QB has already looked elsewhere. I may get a prettier jam on a smaller receiver, but if I miss it is a touchdown.