• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft plans gone awry- How I ended up with 4 players from the same team

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I had my first non-suicide draft last night. I was picking from the 2 spot, where I happily took Barkley.

I had hopes of landing Ekeler and/or Golladay with my next 2, but unexpectedly, Kittle was sitting there at pick 23. I took him.

And of course, 6 point passing TDs, I couldn’t resist taking Mahomes at 26.

At my pick in round 4, I need RB/WR. RB was even more picked over than expected, so I went with Mostert while taking Robert Woods 5th.

Fast forward to rounds 8 and 9, and I see Tevin Coleman bear the top of the draft board. Thinking I should probably
go that route since I am invested in Mostert.

Round 9, after a quick survey of the available, I realize Deebo Samuel is far and away the best player left and could be back as soon as week 1.

So, after 9 picks, I had 4 49ers and 6 players with week 11 bye.

Oh well. I got good value. Hope the 9ers offense is good again!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting draft, IDK who all you have at RB & WR, but looks likely your light quality wise with those positions. Strong at TE and QB though.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
picking from the 3 slot in one tonight, have been debating Kelce/Kittle at 2.10 myself, should they still be there.

the guy picking from 1 slot has taken 2 TEs early in the draft multiple seasons over my 4-5yrs in this league, so I don't think they'll make it back to me in round 3

Odds are, I'll chicken out and go RB-RB to start, as I tend to do frequently

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at my last draft Kittle went 2.12 and Kelce 3.02 so guess if you want them that's about the range to grab them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting draft, IDK who all you have at RB & WR, but looks likely your light quality wise with those positions. Strong at TE and QB though.

I am okay there actually.

RB: Barkley, Mostert, Swift, Coleman, D. Harris, McCoy, Armstead

WR: Woods, D. Parker, Samuel, Diontae Johnson, Lazard

Got some unexpected values later than I should have with Swift, Johnson, and Samuel.

obviously those units aren’t great, but good enough, IMO considering the strength at QB/TE and that I have Barkley.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at my last draft Kittle went 2.12 and Kelce 3.02 so guess if you want them that's about the range to grab them.

Yeah, they are ranked 16 and 17 on Y! I think.

Because we have quite a few QB lovers in this league, I was expecting Mahomes and LJ to both go in round 2 along with those TEs.

There was a collective groan in our Zoom call when the McCaffery owner took LJ and I took Mahomes.

Might not work, but those are scary combos.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RB: Barkley, Mostert, Swift, Coleman, D. Harris, McCoy, Armstead

WR: Woods, D. Parker, Samuel, Diontae Johnson, Lazard

Got some unexpected values later than I should have with Swift, Johnson, and Samuel.

obviously those units aren’t great, but good enough, IMO considering the strength at QB/TE and that I have Barkley.

Yes those players are good pieces to have especially if you got them later then expected.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RB: Barkley, Mostert, Swift, Coleman,
picking from the 3 slot in one tonight, have been debating Kelce/Kittle at 2.10 myself, should they still be there.

the guy picking from 1 slot has taken 2 TEs early in the draft multiple seasons over my 4-5yrs in this league, so I don't think they'll make it back to me in round 3

Odds are, I'll chicken out and go RB-RB to start, as I tend to do frequently

Yeah, I don’t love taking TE/QB in rounds 2 and 3.

In fact I kind of hate it, but it can work if you hit a couple breakouts in the mid rounds. So I tried to get some high upside players there.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think week 11 is gonna be a bad one for a lot of teams (and 10 not much better). We had our first non-dynasty draft last night and I ended up with 6 on bye that week. ... even tried to avoid it but values are values even if you end up sacrificing a week. ...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't drafted yet, but in all my research, I just can't talk myself into taking Kittle (or Kelce) that high. I just don't think their value is significantly higher than what I can get at TE a few rounds later (like Mark Andrews in round 5 or Evan Engram or Hayden Hurst in around Round 10). I think the best route this year (and most years) is to load up on RB early and often. I think I would only take them if all the elite WRs are gone (they basically have the same value) and if the RBs left are guys that I think might still be available once the next round comes back. But I'd have to know for sure they'd be there. I'd actually reach for guys like Carson or Gordon. But if its David Johnson? I'd wait.

Good call btw picking up Coleman while having Mostert. I don't trust that Mostert is gonna be the guy despite his great playoffs. Coleman did well last year until he got hurt. They may just run the hot hand

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't drafted yet, but in all my research, I just can't talk myself into taking Kittle (or Kelce) that high. I just don't think their value is significantly higher than what I can get at TE a few rounds later (like Mark Andrews in round 5 or Evan Engram or Hayden Hurst in around Round 10). I think the best route this year (and most years) is to load up on RB early and often. I think I would only take them if all the elite WRs are gone (they basically have the same value) and if the RBs left are guys that I think might still be available once the next round comes back. But I'd have to know for sure they'd be there. I'd actually reach for guys like Carson or Gordon. But if its David Johnson? I'd wait.

Good call btw picking up Coleman while having Mostert. I don't trust that Mostert is gonna be the guy despite his great playoffs. Coleman did well last year until he got hurt. They may just run the hot hand

The hot hand thing is my fear.

Probably going to pick the wrong 1 half the time.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best route this year (and most years) is to load up on RB early and often.
Normally I would agree, but after the top 3 go off the board, IMO the RB position is huge question mark. Highly touted rookies, possible committee rotations, hot-hand theorists, transitional pieces, RB with a short body of work, injury risks, disgruntled RB.... I feel this casts a real shadow on the RB position this year more than in other seasons. Even if others seem to be thoroughly convinced of success in these guys.

And then to complicate a draft by "loading" up on these types of RB early threatens to water down the strength of a roster. IDK, man. Give me the sure thing of a top tier WR early this season. Especially if this range of RB extends into the middle rounds.

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would agree, but after the top 3 go off the board, IMO the RB position is huge question mark. Highly touted rookies, possible committee rotations, hot-hand theorists, transitional pieces, RB with a short body of work, injury risks, disgruntled RB.... I feel this casts a real shadow on the RB position this year more than in other seasons. Even if others seem to be thoroughly convinced of success in these guys.

And then to complicate a draft by "loading" up on these types of RB early threatens to water down the value of a roster. IDK, man. Give me the sure thing of a top tier WR early this season. Especially if this range of RB extends into the middle rounds.

I agree, too many what if's starting in mid-1st...we don't see this too often. This is going to be an interesting year, your 1st round/2nd round picks this year could me a make or break picks if you don't have the depth.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance with week 11 so far off, and the core of your team being so solid, I have no worries about your squad.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And then to complicate a draft by "loading" up on these types of RB early threatens to water down the strength of a roster. IDK, man. Give me the sure thing of a top tier WR early this season. Especially if this range of RB extends into the middle rounds.

Nah. You still need to load up. The difference between starting RBs and what's available late vs starting WRs and what's available late is noticeable. You need to load up on any back that has a chance at starting because you're gonna be picking scraps by like round 6. You'll be able to find starting WRs late. Only WR you should be taking early is the truly elite guys (Thomas, Jones, Hopkins). That isn't to say you just draft all RBs. But if in a draft if you end up with like WR WR, TE/QB or whatever where you're picking like your first RB in the 3rd or 4th round, you're likely setting yourself up to lose your league. You need to have at least 2 RBs by the end of round 4, with one you feel confident that can be a RB1 (not maybe he will be RB1 if things go right, confident as in he's getting double digit points each week and I'm not really thinking if I should start or sit depending on the match up)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree.
Some of the names being thrown out to unseat current starters (like the kid in Indy) and all be had later.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree.
Some of the names being thrown out to unseat current starters (like the kid in Indy) and all be had later.

Taylor went 4.1 in my draft last night, Mack went 8.11

there was surprisingly very few rookies drafted overall, and I'd say only about 6-7 of these guys are good at fantasy

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. You still need to load up. The difference between starting RBs and what's available late vs starting WRs and what's available late is noticeable. You need to load up on any back that has a chance at starting because you're gonna be picking scraps by like round 6. You'll be able to find starting WRs late. Only WR you should be taking early is the truly elite guys (Thomas, Jones, Hopkins). That isn't to say you just draft all RBs. But if in a draft if you end up with like WR WR, TE/QB or whatever where you're picking like your first RB in the 3rd or 4th round, you're likely setting yourself up to lose your league. You need to have at least 2 RBs by the end of round 4, with one you feel confident that can be a RB1 (not maybe he will be RB1 if things go right, confident as in he's getting double digit points each week and I'm not really thinking if I should start or sit depending on the match up)

Each is own when it comes to drafting. I like getting that stud RB to start a draft if my draft position allows it. However if your picking at the end of round 1 it really just depends who went off the board ahead of you and if you feel the remaining RBs are worth the pick. Now a days with PPR and some leagues adding a third WR position and 2 flex WRs are not just laying around and they become scarce quickly and become a key factor in competing for the gold.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor went 4.1 in my draft last night, Mack went 8.11

there was surprisingly very few rookies drafted overall, and I'd say only about 6-7 of these guys are good at fantasy
Taylor went 3.07 and Mack went 7.02, CEH went 1.06 after that round 5 is where other rookie RBs started going. Akers and Swift went that round.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor went 3.07 and Mack went 7.02, CEH went 1.06 after that round 5 is where other rookie RBs started going. Akers and Swift went that round.

also had swift in 5
had CEH a little earlier at 1.2 and Akers a little later in early 6th

so those are prob a good indicator where you need to reach if you really really want one of those rookie RBs
Dobbins went end of 9th, was on my radar, but I have Moss higher in redraft since less competition for touches