• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see us Drafting QB maybe at all anymore. We brought back Josh Rosen for a reason, and he's only 24. Mac Jones by comparison will be 23 when the NFL season starts. Rosen had 1st Round talent, but has not had much of a chance since the Cards decided to bring in a new coach and draft another 1st round QB the year after taking Rosen. We're honestly a great offense for him to thrive in if Jimmy doesn't take off or gets hurt again.

It would not be the 1st time our organization has taking a QB another team thought was broken and fixed them up into a Hall of Famer.

We have to address the defense with so many DB's hitting Free Agency or look to grab a Tackle if they don't go early, but Tackles lately tend to go much earlier than expected. I would not be surprised to see 2 or 3 go before we pick. That should mean one of the top DB's fall to us at the very least.

When you say "We brought back Josh Rosen for a reason,...", is this saying you expect him to be starter quality? A consistent starter better than JG? just asking...

IMO, one being 24 and other 23, isn't a factor by itself.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they brought Rosen back because he has more talent than the current back ups that are free agents this year.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they brought Rosen back because he has more talent than the current back ups that are free agents this year.
This is what I believe as well, but still Rosen was a 1st round pick in the same draft as Sam Darnold. Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield. A lot of scouts clearly thought he had talent coming into the NFL, and at only 24 years old he's just reaching the age most NFL QB's start to mature and figure things out. Is it worth giving up Draft picks for someone like Wentz or Darnold or trying to draft someone like Trey Lance or Mac Jones versus seeing what Rosen has this year?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok, so he's better than Beathard and Mullen, or has the potential to be.

While i obviously HOPE he is, i tend to think he didn't even 'flash' enough talent to date? If you don't even flash enough talent, getting to even to a quality back-up seems................

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is what I believe as well, but still Rosen was a 1st round pick in the same draft as Sam Darnold. Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield. A lot of scouts clearly thought he had talent coming into the NFL, and at only 24 years old he's just reaching the age most NFL QB's start to mature and figure things out. Is it worth giving up Draft picks for someone like Wentz or Darnold or trying to draft someone like Trey Lance or Mac Jones versus seeing what Rosen has this year?

For me, IF they see a QB prospect that they really like and he has the value.....draft him. Whether in Round 1 or later, you can't pass on QB value.

I like drafting one more than signing a FA, because these FA's doesn't appear good? Then the trades seem to demand more draft capital, even if later rounds? Nice to think we can "rehab" a QB but odds are it won't work well, not to extent we'd expect it to.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, IF they see a QB prospect that they really like and he has the value.....draft him. Whether in Round 1 or later, you can't pass on QB value.

I like drafting one more than signing a FA, because these FA's doesn't appear good? Then the trades seem to demand more draft capital, even if later rounds? Nice to think we can "rehab" a QB but odds are it won't work well, not to extent we'd expect it to.
I think our early picks need to be premium positions, i.e. positions where we can't afford an upgrade through free agency. That means LT, CB, or Edge.

I agree on Rosen. I'm not putting any eggs in the Josh Rosen basket--he has 1st rd talent, but he is a pure rehab project. However, I'm Not sure about drafting a 1st rd QB. I don't see either of the best 2 falling to us, so I'd much rather see us get a top LT or CB or pass rusher.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think our early picks need to be premium positions, i.e. positions where we can't afford an upgrade through free agency. That means LT, CB, or Edge.

I agree on Rosen. I'm not putting any eggs in the Josh Rosen basket--he has 1st rd talent, but he is a pure rehab project. However, I'm Not sure about drafting a 1st rd QB. I don't see either of the best 2 falling to us, so I'd much rather see us get a top LT or CB or pass rusher.
Do think the odds are low we draft a QB in round 1, but IF our brass sees otherwise, i'd have no problem going QB. We fans do see prospects different than Lynch/Shannahan, so who knows? Obtaining a top QB is huge so we shouldn't pass on one if they see it as top value. Its similar (obviously not same) to passing on Mahomes and Watson again.

Since the odds are low for a QB in round 1, the odds are high for an LT, Edge, or CB. Fortunately, there appears to be more than a few prospects at all 3 of these positions.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do think the odds are low we draft a QB in round 1, but IF our brass sees otherwise, i'd have no problem going QB. We fans do see prospects different than Lynch/Shannahan, so who knows? Obtaining a top QB is huge so we shouldn't pass on one if they see it as top value. Its similar (obviously not same) to passing on Mahomes and Watson again.

Since the odds are low for a QB in round 1, the odds are high for an LT, Edge, or CB. Fortunately, there appears to be more than a few prospects at all 3 of these positions.
I'll be honest, though I probably share this opinion with 99% of the population, I did not think Mahomes would be anywhere near as good as he is and honestly figured he'd likely be a bust. I mean how many QB's have come from that offensive system and failed versus succeeded in the NFL??? I can wish we had drafted him, but I can't blame us for not drafting him.

Watson on the other hand I felt everyone was selling short on. The guy was a proven leader with talent, confidence, and a mature head on his shoulders. I couldn't figure out what teams didn't like about him so much that they saw Mitch "I did nothing" Trubisky as a better prospect. I'm sorry I'd rather have the guy with talent and leadership that's actually got accolades on the resume. Imagine how masterful Lynch would look right now if he let the Bears trade up for Trubisky and then drafted Watson. Even with Mahomes doing his thing we'd all still be talking about that time Lynch absolutely fleeced the Bears on Draft Day.

I still have no idea what scouts saw in Mitch Trubisky. I felt he was one of the worst 1st Round QB prospects I had seen this past decade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll be honest, though I probably share this opinion with 99% of the population, I did not think Mahomes would be anywhere near as good as he is and honestly figured he'd likely be a bust. I mean how many QB's have come from that offensive system and failed versus succeeded in the NFL??? I can wish we had drafted him, but I can't blame us for not drafting him.

Watson on the other hand I felt everyone was selling short on. The guy was a proven leader with talent, confidence, and a mature head on his shoulders. I couldn't figure out what teams didn't like about him so much that they saw Mitch "I did nothing" Trubisky as a better prospect. I'm sorry I'd rather have the guy with talent and leadership that's actually got accolades on the resume. Imagine how masterful Lynch would look right now if he let the Bears trade up for Trubisky and then drafted Watson. Even with Mahomes doing his thing we'd all still be talking about that time Lynch absolutely fleeced the Bears on Draft Day.

I still have no idea what scouts saw in Mitch Trubisky. I felt he was one of the worst 1st Round QB prospects I had seen this past decade.
Going back to 2017, yeah i was thinking the same on Mahomes and Watson.

Mahomes was known for his arm but being an NFL QB is much more than having an arm. I recall reading he was a "system QB" where they just throw the ball all over the place? There were major concerns he was 'raw' in the intangible area.

Also thought Watson had proved himself to that point, and more so in BIG college games. Was also thinking why he's not the top rated QB that year? Playing against top college opponents (bowls games) and doing well counts for something. This shows their mental make-up can handle the pressure/spotlight.

Trubisky is why i now hesitate now on prospects like Zach Wilson and more so on Trey Lance?! 'Hesitate' meaning top half of Round 1, not passing on these guys entirely. Why use 2-3 years developing such a raw QB, then have to sign him to a large contract when he does get going?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i

San Francisco 49ers

Projected 2021 starter: Jimmy Garoppolo

This is an interesting one. Jimmy G has been a part of a 49ers team that has won a ton of games with him under center, yet this still feels like a much less than 100% certain scenario. His contract is at the juncture in which the team can get out from it without major financial penalty -- it could trade or release him and save more than $23 million.

With the quarterback carousel spinning, everyone wants to connect Kyle Shanahan to any of the available options. But there has been enough messaging from the team lately to make me believe Garoppolo is the man for one more season (or more).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NB is a much harder position to fill.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interested to see what happens with our FA choices. Who we lose and who we gain. From there, we'll know a lot more about where we're going in the draft. I still think the first 2 rounds MUST be about premium positions like LT, CB, or Edge.

Honestly, I'll lose my freaking mind if we are sitting there in teh first round and take a QB, RB, WR, TE, OG, TE, or, on defense, DT or S. We have to fill premium positions with cheap draft picks. We'll know so much more about our draft priorities after the mid-march FA gets going.

Missing on S.Thomas, R.Foster, D.Pettis, Beathard, J.Williams, Hurd, etc. has really hurt us.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It'll be interested to see what happens with our FA choices. Who we lose and who we gain. From there, we'll know a lot more about where we're going in the draft. I still think the first 2 rounds MUST be about premium positions like LT, CB, or Edge.

Honestly, I'll lose my freaking mind if we are sitting there in teh first round and take a QB, RB, WR, TE, OG, TE, or, on defense, DT or S. We have to fill premium positions with cheap draft picks. We'll know so much more about our draft priorities after the mid-march FA gets going.

Missing on S.Thomas, R.Foster, D.Pettis, Beathard, J.Williams, Hurd, etc. has really hurt us.

I'm certainly for Edge, LT, and CB, ie same positions but different order. I know pundits don't have the benefit of full season of games, a Combine, nor Pro Days, but so far what i'm reading on Edge isn't promising? Yes, there are prospects but either not enough college games or injured history, questionable value for 12th overall? Unless i start to read more positive things on Edge, i think LT will take precedence because thats where the value will be. Obviously, don't see us making Trent Williams the 'highest paid LT in the NFL'.

That said, i'll be ok if they draft a QB cause IF they see a franchise QB in the making, you have to draft him. Don't think this will happen but just saying if you're that convinced he's a franchise QB.........

No doubt draft misses hurt and if too many occur, then you can't build or sustain. Not expecting every pick to exceed and i don't expect starters from Round 6, but you can't miss too many on day 1 and 2. Their first draft class is down to Kittle, and the second one is falling with McGlinchey's poor pass blocking.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt draft misses hurt and if too many occur, then you can't build or sustain. Not expecting every pick to exceed and i don't expect starters from Round 6, but you can't miss too many on day 1 and 2. Their first draft class is down to Kittle, and the second one is falling with McGlinchey's poor pass blocking.

I agree. Naturally we're not gonna hit all the time, but we've gotta do ok in the early rounds--as the rest is a real crapshoot. And unftorunately that iswhere Shanny/Lynch fell apart in their first 2 drafts.

2017--1a. S.Thomas, 1b. R.Foster, 3a. A.Witherspoon, 3b. Beathard (we traded out of the pick where NO took A.Kamara)
2018--1 M.McGlinchey, 2. Pettis, 3a. Warner, 3b. T.Moore (we graded UP to get Pettis).

We ended up with 8 picks total in rds 1-3 and we got a starting RT (who can't play LT) and a pro bowl LB. Our last 2 drafts look much better than the first 2. We have to hope that continues considering the misses we've had in FA/trade (McKinnon, Richburg, Ford, and to a lesser extent Grop).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. Naturally we're not gonna hit all the time, but we've gotta do ok in the early rounds--as the rest is a real crapshoot. And unftorunately that iswhere Shanny/Lynch fell apart in their first 2 drafts.

2017--1a. S.Thomas, 1b. R.Foster, 3a. A.Witherspoon, 3b. Beathard (we traded out of the pick where NO took A.Kamara)
2018--1 M.McGlinchey, 2. Pettis, 3a. Warner, 3b. T.Moore (we graded UP to get Pettis).

We ended up with 8 picks total in rds 1-3 and we got a starting RT (who can't play LT) and a pro bowl LB. Our last 2 drafts look much better than the first 2. We have to hope that continues considering the misses we've had in FA/trade (McKinnon, Richburg, Ford, and to a lesser extent Grop).
Pierre Garcon, Malcom Smith, Tevin Coleman. They're supposed to have a good hit rate with free agents.

Don't think Garcon was a BIG contract but even $5M for Coleman i felt was poor value?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me the biggest bust was Ford, gave him huge money and traded draft capital to get him.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reuben Foster was a great pick that just unfortunately went the way of Aldon Smith. Injuries then took over and ended any chance of a comeback he had with Washington. He'll likely be a Free Agent this offseason. I highly doubt we try to bring him back, but considering how low the price tag will be Lynch should at least explore the option. If healthy and mature Foster was going to be a Pro Bowl LB.

Witherspoon as a 3rd pick has been decent. He's flashed starter talent and at worst is a good backup. Outside of McGlinchey the rest of those picks are terrible though.

Lynch would have already been submitting his resume to Canton a 2nd time had he drafted Mahomes or Watson after letting the Bears trade up for Trubisky.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me the biggest bust was Ford, gave him huge money and traded draft capital to get him.
The problem i have is they're supposed to know his health?! They're supposed to know his injured history and potential for injury going forward, granted back injuries are very difficult to judge. Seems to me the 49er medical staff didn't do a good job evaluating Ford, and MAYBE Lynch shouldn've erred on the safe side?

If Ford was healthy and doing what he does, his contract isn't bad.

Now we have to 'hold azz' Trent Williams will play at a high level for at least two years? He shouldn't drop like a rock so even "above NFL average" in year 3, isn't so bad.