• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doumit's Back

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Twitter, BucsInsider and Langosch both reporting that Doumit has been recalled from his rehab assignment and reinstated from the 60 day DL. Fryer was optioned back to AAA.

That's another nice bat to add.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to have another bat. I wonder if he will bat before or after Alvarez?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bat him before for now, until Alvarez heats up (which I think he's starting to, or will soon).

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn about even having Alvarez in the lineup. He's gotta be the biggest disappointment of the season so far.

On one hand, there's a strong argument for keeping Alvarez in the lineup and hoping that consistent playing time at the major league level (against both rh and lh pitching) will allow him to develop into the kind of hitter all Pirate fans hope he will become.

On the other, his bat has been of very little help to the offense..... and I wouldn't have argued against keeping him at triple-A until his pitch recognition improves, or benching him against lefty pitchers. He frequently looks helpless in the batters' box.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn about even having Alvarez in the lineup. He's gotta be the biggest disappointment of the season so far.

On one hand, there's a strong argument for keeping Alvarez in the lineup and hoping that consistent playing time at the major league level (against both rh and lh pitching) will allow him to develop into the kind of hitter all Pirate fans hope he will become.

On the other, his bat has been of very little help to the offense..... and I wouldn't have argued against keeping him at triple-A until his pitch recognition improves, or benching him against lefty pitchers. He frequently looks helpless in the batters' box.

Just as long as he is playing, arguments can be made either way. Personally, I'd rather see him in Pittsburgh because watching his ab's (as frustrating as they can be at times) is more interesting than watching Brandon Wood ab's, IMO.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as long as he is playing, arguments can be made either way. Personally, I'd rather see him in Pittsburgh because watching his ab's (as frustrating as they can be at times) is more interesting than watching Brandon Wood ab's, IMO.

I'm not sure I agree with that, element. After all, Alvarez has almost as many major league at bats as Wood (509 vs. 632). Wood has been better than Alvarez this year (not saying much), but I'm still hoping that Wood can become more of the player he was projected to be. That's a long shot, but it appears that Alvarez's shot is getting longer, as well.

How would you feel about a platoon at 3B?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wood hr every 28 AB
jones hr every 23 AB
mccutch hr every 26 AB
doumit hr every 23 AB
walker hr every 45 AB
snyder hr every 32 AB
alvarez he every 54 AB

the winner:

lee hr every 5 AB!!!!

give wood some consistent AB and you never know. a platoon would be good for him and maybe take some pressure off alvarez. i have also liked wood's D at 3rd. SS he is average, but certainly not a huge detriment, and he can handle 2nd as a backup. wood still has potential that might be tapped. given his abilities as an average SS and good 3B, can he be converted to a pearce jack of all trades - 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF. might not hit for the "potential" average that pearce might, but seems better in the field and definitely with more power. with confidence, i think his average could climb in a couple years to 270 - 285 with 10-15 HR making a great utility guy.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wood hr every 28 AB
jones hr every 23 AB
mccutch hr every 26 AB
doumit hr every 23 AB
walker hr every 45 AB
snyder hr every 32 AB
alvarez he every 54 AB

the winner:

lee hr every 5 AB!!!!

give wood some consistent AB and you never know. a platoon would be good for him and maybe take some pressure off alvarez. i have also liked wood's D at 3rd. SS he is average, but certainly not a huge detriment, and he can handle 2nd as a backup. wood still has potential that might be tapped. given his abilities as an average SS and good 3B, can he be converted to a pearce jack of all trades - 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF. might not hit for the "potential" average that pearce might, but seems better in the field and definitely with more power. with confidence, i think his average could climb in a couple years to 270 - 285 with 10-15 HR making a great utility guy.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree with that, element. After all, Alvarez has almost as many major league at bats as Wood (509 vs. 632). Wood has been better than Alvarez this year (not saying much), but I'm still hoping that Wood can become more of the player he was projected to be. That's a long shot, but it appears that Alvarez's shot is getting longer, as well.

How would you feel about a platoon at 3B?

I see the merits of a strict platoon, but I'm not a huge fan of it in this case. Would rather see Pedro in the lineup and getting better. I would sit Alvarez against some lefties, maybe every other left handed starter. And I would use Wood as a defensive replacement more often. And I would have no problem with Hurdle sitting Pedro down for a few days if it is obvious he is scuffling.

If we are going percentages; I'd give Alvarez 75% of playing time, and maybe 85% of starts at third base.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds about right to me, element. There's no doubt that Alvarez will never learn to hit lefthanders if he never plays against them.

MA5TER5HAKE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pedro is the best option at third. Harrison and d'Arnaud have horrible OBP and OPS. Wood has a career BA under .200
The three combined have less career HRs than Pedro.

The Pirates were on that great run despite those guys at third. not because of them.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one positive Alvarez held his own against Cliff Lee with the HR.

Ma5ter5hake....I agree winning was in spite of them but I have no problem with Wood spelling him every so often and play against some lefties.

The one option I think that should be dropped already is Steve Pearce. He hasn't looked good at all since returning and for all the criticism Alvarez is taking Pearce looks worse. Granted Alvarez is their #1 prospect but Pearce's value has dropped completely even as a bat off the bench.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one positive Alvarez held his own against Cliff Lee with the HR.

Ma5ter5hake....I agree winning was in spite of them but I have no problem with Wood spelling him every so often and play against some lefties.

The one option I think that should be dropped already is Steve Pearce. He hasn't looked good at all since returning and for all the criticism Alvarez is taking Pearce looks worse. Granted Alvarez is their #1 prospect but Pearce's value has dropped completely even as a bat off the bench.

Wish the guy would succeed, but he has had so many injuries, and so many poor performances. Small sample size on a many of his seasons, but he isn't good enough to hand a job to and see what happens. Guy has to hit in a small sample to stick on any roster.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, element. I have mixed feelings about Pearce. He's already 28 and has never been able to sustain much success at the major league level. On the other hand, he has only 449 major league at bats (fewer than Pedro Alvarez or Brandon Wood). It seems that he gets hurt every time he has a chance for more than token playing time.

At any rate, if I had to choose between Wood and Pearce for the Pirates' bench, I'd have to go with Wood..... since he's 2 years younger, more versatile in the field, and has more power potential.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, element. I have mixed feelings about Pearce. He's already 28 and has never been able to sustain much success at the major league level. On the other hand, he has only 449 major league at bats (fewer than Pedro Alvarez or Brandon Wood). It seems that he gets hurt every time he has a chance for more than token playing time.

At any rate, if I had to choose between Wood and Pearce for the Pirates' bench, I'd have to go with Wood..... since he's 2 years younger, more versatile in the field, and has more power potential.

That's the big one for me. Wood could develop into a super utility man. I think it's well within his ability to play the corner outfield positions given that he can play all four infield positions. That kind of defensive versatility is valuable, especially if he can contribute a little bit offensively with his power.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to go with Wood as well. If he could OPS .650-.700 and backup all INF positions, he's more valuable than Pearce.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish the guy would succeed, but he has had so many injuries, and so many poor performances. Small sample size on a many of his seasons, but he isn't good enough to hand a job to and see what happens. Guy has to hit in a small sample to stick on any roster.

Same here and I agree I really wish he would succeed, like stated his age, less versatile and in the few AB's he had there really hasn't been any glimpses of potential. I still think he is a player you keep in AAA for a stopgap and injury replacement but outside of that he shouldn't be on the major league roster since he hasn't shown anything as a pinch hitter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make a waiver deal he isn't one of the players removed from the 40 man roster.