• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't Look Up (2021)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't Look Up, a satire directed by Adam McKay and starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence, will be released on Friday, December 10, 2021 in select theaters and on Friday, December 24, 2021 on Netflix. Trailer:

PackJason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this a couple days ago. It drips with societal/political satire in a clever over-the-top way.

I really enjoyed it.

I liked the ending very much.

8.5/10

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this a couple days ago. It drips with societal/political satire in a clever over-the-top way.

I really enjoyed it.

I liked the ending very much.

8.5/10
Honest question…

I understand you are on the left, and you know I am on the right, but let’s keep this civil.

Does the movie lampoon the left as well, or just skewer the right? The trailers I have seen have made it look like the left is brilliant and trying to convince the moronic right of the obvious events that are happening right in front in their faces that they simply refuse to see.

PackJason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question…

I understand you are on the left, and you know I am on the right, but let’s keep this civil.

Does the movie lampoon the left as well, or just skewer the right? The trailers I have seen have made it look like the left is brilliant and trying to convince the moronic right of the obvious events that are happening right in front in their faces that they simply refuse to see.

It's more of a satirical look at how easily distracted society is in general and how politicians don't give a flying fuck about the people. And it also pokes at Elon Musk types.

I didn't take it as only slamming the right, more like slamming people who deny science and who are more concerned with pop culture than the end of the world.

I can see how righties could take offense to parts of it, though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question…

Just watch it. I want to know what you think.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been bugging me since I watched it the other day, but I think I've finally figured out why this movie is getting trashed by many lefty reviewers as well as those who lean right, who honestly there are not very many of anyway. I get why righties might object because the pov does lean left.

The left's objections are just another example of progressives' assault on comedy that's been going on for the past 10 years or so, where every fucking joke must be deconstructed and analyzed for potentially problematic political/social inferences before being awarded their seal of approval.

For example, Meryl Streep plays the potus and there are several bits that show her behavior in a bad light.. because ya know.. it's a fucking comedy. I've read this interpreted by reviewers as "misogyny".. and "Poor Meryl.. so out of touch..she knows not what he did". Wrong! Lighten tf up. She's funny as hell and it's a very broad satire.

What this movie is is several extremely talented comedic actors having a ball with some very funny material. Just leave your hyper-sensitive ideological concerns at the door, kick back and enjoy.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the movie was a bit slow.
If Jonah Hill was your bright spot with that cast, well.....

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the movie was a bit slow.
If Jonah Hill was your bright spot with that cast, well.....

Jonah Hill is a fantastic actor so this doesn’t really lead to much of a point.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been bugging me since I watched it the other day, but I think I've finally figured out why this movie is getting trashed by many lefty reviewers as well as those who lean right, who honestly there are not very many of anyway. I get why righties might object because the pov does lean left.

The left's objections are just another example of progressives' assault on comedy that's been going on for the past 10 years or so, where every fucking joke must be deconstructed and analyzed for potentially problematic political/social inferences before being awarded their seal of approval.

For example, Meryl Streep plays the potus and there are several bits that show her behavior in a bad light.. because ya know.. it's a fucking comedy. I've read this interpreted by reviewers as "misogyny".. and "Poor Meryl.. so out of touch..she knows not what he did". Wrong! Lighten tf up. She's funny as hell and it's a very broad satire.

What this movie is is several extremely talented comedic actors having a ball with some very funny material. Just leave your hyper-sensitive ideological concerns at the door, kick back and enjoy.

Yeah this just wasn’t going to be the type of movie the masses(especially critics) were gonna eat up. Too much analyzing and being offended. Audiences do seem to like it more.

I get why people wouldn’t enjoy this movie, but I feel like if you go into it expecting the satire it was intended to be. It’s pretty fucking great.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ending was great. They could have made this movie in an hour and a half instead of 2 and a half. Got very boring in several spots.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ending was great. They could have made this movie in an hour and a half instead of 2 and a half. Got very boring in several spots.
Agreed, comedies should never be over 2 hours in my opinion, there’s too much drag otherwise. Loved the movie though.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a right leaning person I still loved. It for sure took more shots at the right but who cares? A funny joke is a funny joke and this movie had plenty of them. I am not sure how someone can believe that comedy is dying because of woke complaints and simultaneously be upset when you are the target of comedy.

Plus I Agee with @PackJason. They crushed the ending.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The neoliberal scum at WSJ panned it for making fun of what appears to be the results of consumer-centric capitalism and its garbage culture. So I'll have to check this out. :happy:

PackJason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a right leaning person I still loved. It for sure took more shots at the right but who cares? A funny joke is a funny joke and this movie had plenty of them. I am not sure how someone can believe that comedy is dying because of woke complaints and simultaneously be upset when you are the target of comedy.

Yeah, the ending was just great.

The pearl-clutchers from both the left and right who are offended by this movie are what's wrong with this country.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cool. I thought it was a movie that conservatives.. those with a sense of humor anyway, could find funny.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night.

the trailers were much more divisive, imho, than the actual movie. The trailers made it seem like a global warming satire while the movie was more of a vaccine satire, but really, only if you are really looking for it.

While I think it certainly told the story from a left POV, it wasn’t overt. They made both sides “cooky”. Leo’s character got caught up in his celebrity, JLaw acted the crazy “The sky is falling” loon. The Hollywood types were all about building their images.

Dayum, Ariana Grande is a hot little piece of ass.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night.

the trailers were much more divisive, imho, than the actual movie. The trailers made it seem like a global warming satire while the movie was more of a vaccine satire, but really, only if you are really looking for it.

While I think it certainly told the story from a left POV, it wasn’t overt. They made both sides “cooky”. Leo’s character got caught up in his celebrity, JLaw acted the crazy “The sky is falling” loon. The Hollywood types were all about building their images.

Dayum, Ariana Grande is a hot little piece of ass.

Yeah, our covid reactions is what it put me in mind of, if anything irl, and it went after everyone.. which I suspect is the reason it's been reviewed much more negatively than it deserves. Some of those reviewers probably saw themselves in some of the targets of the satire and didn't like what they saw. I trust that you watched it through all of the credits.. those were some of the best laughs.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a retired physicist and former astronomer, I always have to argue with the science and technology that shows up in space epics. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was a lot of fun, but take it with a grain of salt. If the basic premise of the movie were true, we would have absolutely no chance of doing anything about it. Sorry. Finish up that bucket list.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, our covid reactions is what it put me in mind of, if anything irl, and it went after everyone.. which I suspect is the reason it's been reviewed much more negatively than it deserves. Some of those reviewers probably saw themselves in some of the targets of the satire and didn't like what they saw. I trust that you watched it through all of the credits.. those were some of the best laughs.
Was there one past the spaceship landing?