• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dominate the sport or destroy yourselves... either way, we'll watch! (2024 SEC Preview thread)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need Memphis wet ribs... pronto. That's because I have made to the final "Power 4" conference on my preview schedule... the SEC. Let me know your thoughts on what could be a wacky season featuring a 3-loss team getting an at-large berth in the CFP.

Sounds crazy? It's happened a few times in my copy of "CFB 25", and it might happen this year. Read along if you're not convinced!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida

The first preview segment for the Southeastern Conference: The Florida Gators

Last season: All I've heard from the SEC media is how hard Florida is gonna have it in 2024. Okay, maybe Florida DID regress a bit in 2023, as a 5-game losing streak froze them out of a bowl. But if Florida have had better luck against people like Missouri and Arkansas, that wouldn't have happened. Now let's see what Billy Napier has in store for us this season.

Bad news: Not there to help with Florida's killer slate is their top pass-rusher from 2023 (Princely Umanmielen, who's now at Ole Miss) and playmaker RB Travis Etienne (who shocked the Gators by going to Georgia).

Good news: Despite those 2 losses, the actual team looks pretty good. QB Graham Mertz was amazing last year! Montrell Johnson Jr. should fill Etienne's shoes beautifully! And Florida was able to hang on to a strong recruiting class! All of this should make the Gators stronger and deeper.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Miami (No, I'm not gonna beat the dead horse that is Florida's schedule. Instead, I'm just gonna focus on the REALLY important games the Gators will have in 2024.
And the first game fits that bill perfectly. It's the "Battle of the War Canoe", and Florida should be able to take out the dysfunctional Hurricanes... RIGHT?!)
10/5 vs. UCF (Same scenario as the Miami game: Florida simply CANNOT afford to lose any more ground in their home state.)
10/12 @ Tennessee (As we saw last year, Florida still has the number of the rival Volunteers. However, Tennessee DID beat them the last time Florida went to "Rocky Top".)
11/2 vs. Georgia [from Jacksonville] (When it comes to talent, you're not that far off from Georgia, Florida! Don't be scared... DON'T be scared.)
11/30 @ Florida State (Same scenario as the Miami and UCF games.)

Bottom line: "Stanford Steve" recently said on "ESPN Bet Live" that if you just focus on Florida's schedule, then you're an idiot. Florida still has a very talented team, and Graham Mertz has been born again in Gainesville. Maybe if Florida just fixes some basic problems on defense, they can survive the 2024 season and go into 2025 as a true SEC contender.
As for Billy Napier's job status? I'm actually rooting for him! Let's hope he comes out of 2024 looking good.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn

Preview segment: The Auburn Tigers

Last season: I'm gonna try to restrain myself here, because I still have some bitter feelings for Auburn for blowing that Iron Bowl game last November. Had it not been for that game, the 1st year of Hugh Freeze's tenure at Auburn could have been pretty good instead of the 6-7 record we got. Oh, and we got an almost complete overhaul of Freeze's staff once the season ended.

Good news: Much like Florida, Auburn was able to hold on to their strong recruiting class despite all the turmoil. The QB spot looked very good in the spring, with Payton Thorne standing tall. Depth on the defense is very good, and Auburn might just have the best kicking game in the whole FBS.

Bad news: There's a lot of good, but also a few spots of bad on this team. The whole passing game needs to do WAY better, the secondary lost three starters, and...
:gaah: Why didn't Auburn rush more than 2 guys on that stupid 4th-and-31 play?! That could have changed everything!! Florida State could have gotten in the playoff, no question asked! Nick Saban could have retired sooner, Hugh Freeze would have been a hero over at Jordan-Hare, but none of that happened! I HATE YOU, AUBURN!! WHY DIDN'T YOU RUSH MORE PEOPL-
Wait, what? *huff puff huff puff*. Sorry, I had to get that out. Now then...

Key games:

Old stand-by's:

10/5 @ Georgia (Well, the yo-yo effect takes place again as Auburn goes from hosting their top two rivals one year...)
11/30 @ Alabama (...to visiting their top two rivals the next year.)
Other big games:
9/7 vs. California (Well, at least Auburn will get five consecutive home games to start things off. Against the tough Cal Bears, we'll see how much better Auburn's passing game can be.)
9/28 vs. Oklahoma (For the first time ever, Oklahoma will visit Jordan-Hare Stadium. In fact, the only other times these two teams have fought have been in bowl games.)
10/19 @ Missouri (Auburn will get a bye week to prepare for a Missouri team now thinking of a national title.)

Bottom line: Hmm... The schedule isn't as bad as I thought. Yeah, Auburn has to go to Athens and Tuscaloosa this year, but they've done that plenty of times. So in order for Auburn to have a better record in 2024, maybe all they need to do is be more explosive on offense. And definitely improve their play-calling.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma

Preview segment: The Oklahoma Sooners

Last season: After 2022, people on the CFB forums told me to calm down about Brent Venables as a coach. Well, Brent did do better in 2023 as Oklahoma got a 10-win season. But 2 missteps on the road (to Kansas and OK State) would cost the Sooners a Big 12 title shot, and then later they would fumble in the Alamo Bowl against Arizona.
That doesn't look good when you consider that this is the year where Oklahoma finally starts in the SEC. But let's see if they can prove me wrong again.

Good news: Wide-receiver should be a powerful strength for Oklahoma once again, and RB Gavin Sawchuk could be a breakout star. I'm also confident that the Sooner defense will do better than 77th this year; it has a mighty secondary and Danny Stutsman on the D-line.

Bad news: Some people are worried about how physical the lines are gonna be, because strong line play is the secret to succeed in the SEC. Well, the O-line definitely looks bare (it lost all 5 starters from last year), and unless some new guys step up it could be a long year.

2024 X-factor: QB Jackson Arnold (After Dillon Gabriel transferred to Oregon, this 5-star wiz kid was given the chance to start in the Alamo Bowl. And he... kinda did a poor job, throwing 4 INT's. But let's see if he can be a true superstar QB after a whole offseason of practice.)

Key games:
9/21 vs. Tennessee (OOOO! Oklahoma's SEC opener will be at home against Tennessee? Something tells me that "College Gameday" will be there when it happens.)
9/28 @ Auburn (And here will be Oklahoma's 1st experience with playing SEC teams on the road.)
10/12 vs. Texas [from Dallas] (Last year, Oklahoma handed Texas their only regular-season loss in :yawn: yet another classic game.)
11/9 @ Missouri (Hey! It's a reunion game for the Sooners, as they face a team they used to bully around when Missouri was in the Big 12.)
11/23 vs. Alabama (Three important things to remember here. One, casual fans all across the nation will watch this one. Two, Oklahoma will have a bye week to prep for the Tide. And three, this is part of a REAL brutal 2nd half of the season [Ole Miss, LSU, and the aforementioned Tigers].)

Bottom line: So D-Day is here for Oklahoma football. How many wins will they get in their debut season in the SEC? I really don't know. But I DO know one thing: The offense will be the key. Jackson Arnold has to show off his 5-star pedigree, and the O-line needs to make sure they don't blow it for everyone.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas A&M

Preview segment: The Texas A&M Aggies

Last season: So the 2023 season ended up being a disaster for Texas A&M. But it wasn't because of their 7-6 record. No, it was because they finally gave up on Jimbo Fisher and fired him, and now they owe him a $76 million buyout on his contract. $76 MILLION?!
Based on that sum alone, A&M needs to hit a home run with their next coaching hire. And here comes Mike Elko, an alumni who recently led Duke on a heck of a 2-year run.

Bad news: Mike was busy in the offseason, as we had a whole lot of roster changes at A&M. Positions of concern is the O-line (which is under new leadership) and wide-receiver (there isn't a lot of depth over there).

Good news: If the O-line can stay healthy, then QB Conner Weigman can stay healthy and return to the form he had in 2022. And the defense should be okay; the D-line looks very powerful.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Notre Dame (The Irish will be tested by A&M's defense and the roaring crowd of "The 12th Man". But A&M will be tested by the Irish defense as well, so expect a low-scoring game where Conner Weigman needs to ball out.)
9/14 @ Florida (Here is A&M's opener in the SEC, where they'll look to cripple Billy Napier and the rebuilding Gators.)
9/28 vs. Arkansas [from Arlington] (Can't forget A&M's annual contest against Arkansas in "Jerry World"!)
10/26 vs. LSU (The Aggies wasn't able to pick on LSU's awful defense last year in Baton Rouge. Will they flip the script at home?)
11/30 vs. Texas (Yay! It's a reunion game between two bitter rivals: The Aggies and the Longhorns!)

Bottom line: With the stench of 2023 (and that big-@$$ payout) hanging over their heads, the Aggies are hoping that the new coach will do for them what he did for Duke. 2024 will be all about Elko laying down the foundation, so don't expect anything major from them. But they DO have a kind schedule (no Alabama, Ole Miss, or Georgia), so A&M could walk away with a nice record.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas

Preview segment: The Texas Longhorns

Last season: FINALLY! It took them nearly 15 years, but Texas FINALLY returned to being a viable national title contender! With a complete team effort, Texas won the Big 12 in their last year in the league, and then was one play away from beating Washington in their CFP semifinal.
So the pressure of "not making it" is now off Steve Sarkisian and his staff. Now in their first year in the SEC, he'll be under MORE pressure to get Texas back to the CFP.

Good news: QB Quinn Ewers is still here. His offensive line should still be one of the best in the nation. And despite losing some good defensive tackles, Texas should still have a proud run defense.

Bad news: Texas' top running back (Jonathon Brooks) and their 3 top WR's from last year are all now in the NFL, so let's hope the transfers they got last spring can fill the void. Last year's pass defense was pretty f---ing poor (113th overall), so let's also hope the secondary does WAY better.

Key games:
9/7 @ Michigan (This game is a gift from the CFB gods. I don't even have to make any jokes!)
11/12 vs. Oklahoma [in Dallas] (Texas will start it's SEC career against Mississippi State, but that doesn't sound too exciting to me. As for THIS game, THIS should be very exciting to watch [again].)
11/19 vs. Georgia (There we go! NOW Texas will get to see what life is like in the SEC, as they'll face mighty Georgia. And by the way, this may be the first of 2 meetings between these guys in 2024.)
11/16 @ Arkansas (AWWW! In their return to the SEC, Texas will get to reunite with 2 of their oldest, dearest rivals. This will be the first conference game between these two bitter foes since 1991.)
11/30 @ Texas A&M (And here is the other reunion game Texas will have. The "Lone Star Showdown" is back, baby!)

Bottom line: Texas fans can breathe now; their school is back in the elite of college football. And they have reason to be excited for the 2024 season. Not just because of their move to the SEC, but also because they still have a great team (and because the schedule is a bit easier than at first glance). They DO have to be careful in their quest to win it all; the Georgia and Michigan games loom large, plus Arkansas and A&M will be hungry to chomp on the Longhorns once again.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky

Preview segment: The Kentucky Wildcats

Last season: 2023 was an up-and-down season for the Wildcats, as they started 5-0 before the offense went south in SEC play. But then at the end of the year, Kentucky shocked rival Louisville (again) and almost upset Clemson in the Gator Bowl. And after a couple of anxious moments, coach Mark Stoops decided to stay in Lexington instead of moving to Texas A&M. So after a emotional season, can Kentucky find stable ground in 2024?

Good news: The defense looks amazing, with Deone Walker being hailed as one of Kentucky's best players ever. If Deone keeps living up to his billing, the D-line should be great again. For the offense, new coordinator Bush Hamdan has a pro-style set that seems to fit the personnel perfectly.

Bad news: Last year's O-line wasn't AS bad as it was in 2022, but it does need to keep getting better. The offensive skill positions are the biggest area of concern, as the WR room (led by Dane Key and Barion Brown) and the RB group is now missing Ray Davis.

2024 X-factor: QB Brock Vandagriff (Kentucky's new starting QB comes to them from the Georgia Bulldogs, as Vandagriff is now in Lexington. We don't have too much game footage of him, but let's be nice to him. Maybe the reason why he didn't start for Georgia was because there were talented players ahead of him.)

Key games:
9/14 vs. Georgia (Eeek! Well, it shouldn't take long for us to find out, now will it? What can the new offense do against the mighty Bulldogs, and how much does Vandagriff know about his former defense?)
10/19 @ Florida (This game may be in Gainesville, but Kentucky has done a great job tormenting the Gators over the last several years.)
10/26 vs. Auburn (Here's a winnable SEC game for Kentucky, as Auburn is still trying to figure stuff out.)
11/2 @ Tennessee (This will be the 120th time that Kentucky and Tennessee will face each other.)
11/30 vs. Louisville (Yup. The Wildcats are definitely in the head of the Cardinals, as last year's 38-31 upset win clearly shows.)

Bottom line: This could be a tough year for Mark Stoops and Kentucky. I mean, they got a good transfer portal haul and a great defense that suggest that they'll find another bowl berth (and maybe more than 7 wins). But the SEC schedule is still a chore, so it'll be up to Kentucky's new offense to keep them going up in the league.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mississippi

Preview segment: The Ole Miss Rebels

Last season: There we go! After a couple years of retooling, Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss finally got that breakthrough season! A school-record for wins (11), a proud offense, and a Peach Bowl win over Penn State. Lane has now established himself as the "Portal King"!
...But there WERE those losses to Alabama and Georgia. At least Lane said "So what? We just need to recruit better" and is still pushing for perfection.

Good news: Despite losing RB Quinshon Judkins to Ohio State, the Ole Miss offense should still be amazing. Lane found some replacements for Quinshon through (where else?) the transfer portal, and they'll have a veteran O-line to guide them. Oh, and QB Jaxson Dart has returned for his senior season.

Bad news: The defense needs to keep up their improvements if Ole Miss is expected to go for the SEC title and the CFP title. And of course, you need to worry about team chemistry when a roster is filled with transfers.

Key games:
9/14 @ Wake Forest (Wake Forest might not be a world-beater, but Ole Miss still needs to be on their guard. It's never easy when you go on the road against a "Power 4" school.)
10/12 @ LSU (Jaxson Dart won a exciting duel with Jayden Daniels last year, as Ole Miss beat LSU 55-49. This year's "Magnolia Bowl" should be another doozy, because A: It's at Baton Rouge this time. And B: LSU might not have Daniels anymore, but they SHOULD have a better defense.)
10/26 vs. Oklahoma (These two have met only 1 other time, with Ole Miss winning it. The Rebels will have a bye week to prep for this.)
11/9 vs. Georgia (The "Portal King" will get another chance to upend Kirby Smart, this time in Oxford.)
11/30 vs. Mississippi State ("Egg Bowl" time again!)

Bottom line: You know... For a guy that loves using the portal, Lane Kiffin has 14 starters from last year coming back. That's pretty good, considering the times we're in (and especially since Jaxson Dart is one of them). If Ole Miss continues their defensive improvement, they'll be a VERY tempting national title pick.
But this is the first time in quite a while that Ole Miss has expectations this large. Can they handle it?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee

Preview segment: The Tennessee Volunteers

Last season: Well, it wasn't AS exciting as the 2022 campaign, let me just say that. But it was still a fine 9-4 season (including a 35-0 bowl win), and it left Tennessee fans optimistic about the future. Can they get back into the national title hunt in 2024?

Good news: There's a lot of good with this Volunteer team. RB Dylan Sampson looks like a quality back, the wide-receiver group is deep and skilled, and the D-line has a LOT of depth.

Bad news: The O-line, though, can do with a bit of sprucing up (especially on the left side). But the biggest worry is the secondary; it got gutted a few times last year, and that might happen thanks to a lack of sure-fire solutions.

2024 X-factor: QB Nico Iamaleava (So this young man is being asked to lead the show in Knoxville. We got a sneak-peek at his skills during that proud Citrus Bowl win, but can he do that over a 12-game stretch against fast SEC defenses? We'll see if his lack of experience hurts him at all.)

Key games:
9/7 vs. NC State [in Charlotte] (NC State is usually a tough out thanks to their gritty style of play, so let's see how Tennessee will react.)
9/21 @ Oklahoma (So Tennessee will start SEC play against one of the newcomers in Oklahoma. Oh, and OU will most likely be 3-0 entering this game. I sure hope the Vols defense can slow the Sooners down.)
10/12 vs. Florida (Uh oh. It could be a very emotional October for Tennessee, as they'll have to deal with rival Florida...)
10/19 vs. Alabama (...and rival Alabama in consecutive weeks [maybe for the first time ever]. But on the bright side, at least Tennessee will get to host BOTH of them.)
11/16 @ Georgia (Over the last 7 years, Georgia has simply outclassed Tennessee... pure and simple.)

Bottom line: Tennessee could be the wild-card of the SEC in 2024. The offense should still be awesome, but a lot of pressure is on a redshirt-freshmen to lead the charge. And can the defense hold it's own against the monsters of the league (especially in the secondary)? If the Vols fix their problems, they may be a surprise playoff team.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Carolina

Preview segment: The South Carolina Gamecocks

Last season: Such a shame. Even with Spencer Rattler at QB, South Carolina was unable to survive an absolutely brutal schedule as they went 5-7. And now with coach Shane Beamer starting to feel the heat, the team has to show they can stay upright in this tough league.

Bad news: Oh, and speaking of Spencer Rattler... he's now in the NFL. And his replacement is a freshmen. AND of the wide-receivers that SC has now, none of them had more than 12 catches last year. Oh, and the defense has it's fair share of transfers.

Good news: Actually, the defense did get better as 2023 went on, and that improvement should continue this year (especially in the secondary). And at least the new QB (LaNorris Sellers) can help revive an Gamecock running game that was pure shit last year.

Key games:
9/7 @ Kentucky (This SEC opener for South Carolina could be a must-win for them.)
10/5 vs. Ole Miss (Let me see how this LaNorris Sellers guy will do against a veteran QB like Jaxson Dart. The Gamecocks will have a bye week to prepare for this.)
11/2 vs. Texas A&M (Again, South Carolina will get a bye week to prepare for a tough conference opponent.)
11/30 @ Clemson (South Carolina did beat Clemson the last time they visited them. If the SC offense runs well, maybe it'll happen again.)

Bottom line: A great recruiting class, plus a strong defense, should help South Carolina return to the postseason in 2024. But they have another brutal schedule (LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Missouri are also on it), so a bowl may be the ONLY thing the Gamecocks get to do. Hey, LaNorris Sellers! I hope you know what you're doing.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia

Preview segment: The Georgia Bulldogs

Last season: Look. If you Georgia fans are upset about me giving your school the "runner-up curse" last year, just know that I wasn't being malicious. I just wanted my mom's favorite team (Michigan) to win the national title, and just wanted to help them in any way. And in terms of "runner-up curses", Georgia's was... pretty subdued. About the only thing that went wrong for them in 2023 was Alabama edging them out in the SEC title game to freeze them out of the CFP.
But I'm pretty sure that neither Kirby Smart nor Carson Beck doesn't care about curses. They went 13-1 last year, and in 2024 they're looking to get back their national title.

Good news: Yeah, you heard right. Carson Beck is back for his senior year. The rest of the offense is LOADED, with some proud runners (like Trevor Etienne and Roderick Robinson II) and a proud O-line protecting them. And the D-line should be REALLY physical once again. Yep, Georgia looks mighty powerful once again.

Bad news: But there ARE some small problems for this Georgia team. The coaching staff is a little worried about the lack of experience in the secondary. And they'll have a tough time replacing Brock Bowers at tight-end.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Clemson [from Atlanta] (Starting with Clemson sounds really tough, but don't forget that this is really a home game for the Bulldogs. If their secondary does well, the rest of the team should do the rest.)
9/28 @ Alabama (Since November of 2020, Georgia has only lost 2 games... and both losses came against Nick Saban and Alabama. 'Bama might not have Sabin anymore, but they'll STILL be a monster, so Georgia BETTER be ready for a fight.)
10/19 @ Texas (Another monster game that everyone in America will stop to watch [or at least check out for a bit].)
11/2 vs. Florida [from Jacksonville] (Can't forget this rivalry game if you're a Georgia fan.)
11/9 @ Ole Miss (Wait a minute. Georgia has road games in Tuscaloosa, Austin, AND Oxford this season?! No way that they win all 3 of them. No f---ing way.)

Bottom line: Whoa. This is the toughest schedule for a Georgia team I've ever seen! I didn't even mention their rivalry games with Auburn, Tennessee, or Georgia Tech during the "Key Games" bit! But the good news, Georgia has the team to survive all this... and with the new 12-team CFP they can afford a couple of screwups.
Will they reclaim their throne as national champions? With Carson Beck on their side, they got as good a chance as anybody.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisiana State

Preview segment: The LSU Tigers

Last season: Remember the "SEC Shorts" video where the teacher gives out report cards for every SEC team in 2023? It sums up LSU's 2023 season perfectly. For having the best offense in the country that led LSU to a 10-3 record and a Heisman for Jayden Daniels, LSU gets a gold star! But for their defensive performance, they got... a brown bag full of poop. Very to-the-point right there.

Bad news: Well, Jayden Daniels is gone now... and so are his top 2 targets at wide-receiver: Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas. Last year's poor defense was mostly due to poor tackling, and it'll be up to a new defensive staff to fix that.

Good news: This is still LSU, so they still have talent in a lot of places. QB Garrett Nussmeier looks ready to take over, and he'll have a fabulous O-line and WR Kyren Lacy to help him out. Watch for tight-end Mason Taylor to also help out.

Key games:
9/1 vs. USC [in Las Vegas] (This looks like a fun way to start a season! Playing on the Las Vegas strip at Allegiant Stadium, facing a team that has almost the same problems as you do.)
10/12 vs. Ole Miss (Against LSU last year, Ole Miss did 2 things: Expose all of LSU's defensive deficiencies, and eliminate them from the national title race. LSU must administer payback.)
10/19 @ Arkansas (And the "Battle for the Golden Boot" is right after the "Magnolia Bowl" for LSU? I know they've done this before, but still.)
11/9 vs. Alabama (We all know what happened between these two rivals the last time they played in Baton Rouge.)
11/30 vs. Oklahoma (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first regular-season meeting between these two powerhouses.)

Bottom line: Look. Brian Kelly and LSU will be fine in 2024. But they DO have some issues to fix, like (of course) that miserable defense. And while replacing Jayden Daniels will be hard (also of course), the offense should still be good. Do they have the type of depth needed to make the CFP? That'll be the million-dollar question.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri

Preview segment: The Missouri Tigers

Last season: Sometimes when it comes to success, it goes like "Nothing... nothing... Poof!". You can walk around like a zombie, and then POOF! A light-bulb goes off in your head, and you find your true calling.
That was Missouri last year. After 4 years of hovering around the .500 mark, the Tigers finally put it all together and went 11-2. That season included wins over Tennessee and Florida, the proud QB play of QB Brady Cook, and a Cotton Bowl upset over Ohio State. The Missouri fans had every right to be giddy! Can they have more fun in 2024?

Good news: Brady Cook is back for one more year, and so is breakout WR Luther Burden III. In all, 8 starters from last year's offense is back. Plus, the 2024 schedule is very kind by SEC standards.

Bad news: Transfers will be counted on to replace RB Cody Schrader on offense and their top 2 cornerbacks on defense. In fact, the whole defense is missing key playmakers AND their coordinator (former defensive head Blake Barker left for LSU). Oh, and all-world kicker Harrison Mevis is gone.

Key games:
9/14 vs. Boston College (Hosting Boston College doesn't sound too scary, but watch how the Tigers defense handle a "Power 4" attack. Their performance could set the tone for the rest of the year.)
10/5 @ Texas A&M (Going to College Station, now THAT'S scary. But Missouri will have a bye week to prep for the trip.)
10/26 @ Alabama (Easily the toughest game Missouri will have all year. The last time Missouri beat the Tide was in 1975.)
11/9 vs. Oklahoma (Hey! It's a reunion game with an old friend from the Big 12 days! Missouri will have a bye week to prep for this game, too.)

Bottom line: Huh. I was only able to come up with 4 "Key games" for Missouri in 2024. And with Brady Cook and Luther Burden III still here, Mizzou will be a handful in the SEC for the 2nd year in a row. But can they become elite and challenge for a CFP berth and SEC title? Missouri will have to win against the Tide and the Sooners to do it, so all of the newcomers need to be ready to step up and kick some @$$.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mississippi State

Before I begin, I wanna apologize to you guys for not being here yesterday. I mean, I had Tropical Storm Debbie bearing down on my state, so I didn't know what was gonna happen. Anyway, back to the action.

Preview segment: The Mississippi State Bulldogs

Last season: In 2023, Mississippi State was hoping that Zack Arnett would unite the team after the tragic passing of Mike Leach. But sadly, it didn't happen as Miss. State missed out on a bowl game thanks to a crappy offense. Now the team has hit the reset switch: Zack Arnett is out and first-time head coach Jeff Lebby is in.

Good news: Despite having NO starters from last year coming back, the Bulldog offense should be better. That's because they got QB Blake Shapen and a great collection of WR's that can make plays.

Bad news: The defense, though, is a true unknown; it's lacking depth and good health in the O-line. Oh, and somebody needs to step up at the RB spot.

Key games:
9/7 @ Arizona State (Here's a winnable road game for the Bulldogs; Arizona State is also trying to figure things out.)
9/21 vs. Florida (Can Miss. State's offense break the Gator defense to get a much-needed SEC win?)
10/26 vs. Arkansas (Miss. State defeated Arkansas last year... by a score of 7-3. Jeez.)
11/30 @ Ole Miss (If the Bulldogs want that "Egg Bowl" trophy back this year, their offense had BETTER do something spectacular.)

Bottom line: Jeff Lebby will be up against it in his 1st year in Starkville. The lack of returning starters is very concerning, not to mention the brutal schedule (road games against Georgia, Texas, and Tennessee are on it). How the new defense will perform will determine where Mississippi State finishes in the SEC in 2024.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas

Preview segment: The Arkansas Razorbacks

Last season: Well, the Razorbacks went 4-8 in 2023... which was a HUGE disappointment. Oh sure, they came close in contests against LSU and Ole Miss and Alabama. But they couldn't finish the job, and now Sam Pittman is on the hot seat. And he hired a new offensive coordinator to-
Oh... Oh no. No... they didn't!

2024 X-factor: New offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino (Dear god! Arkansas brought back the same guy that left the school in disgrace back in 2012. And by the way, he was at Texas A&M last year... where he failed to save Jimbo Fisher's job. My god, what's gonna happen if Sam Pittman get fired? Is Bobby gonna be the new head coach? HAS THIS ALL BEEN AN ELABORATE HOEX SET UP BY ALIENS AND BOBBY TO GET HIS JOB BACK IN- *my dark side slaps me* *huff* *puff* *huff* puff*
Okay. I guess we'll have to wait and see what will happen.)

Good news: Arkansas now has a new RPO attack, which should help new QB Taylen Green and his friends get the offensive numbers up. The Razorback defense did better than expected in 2023, and it should stay that way with a strong defensive front.

Bad news: It's all about team depth and confidence. Depth is pretty thin at linebacker and in the secondary, and Sam Pittman has to get the confidence going again across the team.

Key games:
9/7 @ Oklahoma State (Hmm... This is a perfect way to find out what this new Arkansas RPO offense can do. And can the Razorback defense stop the Cowboys attack?)
9/21 @ Auburn (It may be on the road, but this is a perfectly winnable SEC opener for Arkansas.)
10/19 vs. LSU (Take heart, Razorbacks! You almost shocked LSU last year in Baton Rouge. Plus, you'll get a bye week to prepare for it.)
10/26 @ Mississippi State (Going back to Mississippi State, the Razorbacks only scored 3 points against these guys last year. Jesus.)
11/16 vs. Texas (When was the last time these two schools faced each other in conference play? 1991? Damn!)

Bottom line: So Arkansas has taken the risk of bringing back Petrino... all in an effort to get their offense up and running again. It would be stupid to expect a rapid turnaround, but Arkansas is hopeful of a return to respectability in 2024. Oh, and Bobby? If you fail at your job and get Sam Pittman fired, I will never forgive you... EVER. Me and the Arkansas faithful are watching you like a hawk.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn

Preview segment: The Auburn Tigers

Last season: I'm gonna try to restrain myself here, because I still have some bitter feelings for Auburn for blowing that Iron Bowl game last November. Had it not been for that game, the 1st year of Hugh Freeze's tenure at Auburn could have been pretty good instead of the 6-7 record we got. Oh, and we got an almost complete overhaul of Freeze's staff once the season ended.

Good news: Much like Florida, Auburn was able to hold on to their strong recruiting class despite all the turmoil. The QB spot looked very good in the spring, with Payton Thorne standing tall. Depth on the defense is very good, and Auburn might just have the best kicking game in the whole FBS.

Bad news: There's a lot of good, but also a few spots of bad on this team. The whole passing game needs to do WAY better, the secondary lost three starters, and...
:gaah: Why didn't Auburn rush more than 2 guys on that stupid 4th-and-31 play?! That could have changed everything!! Florida State could have gotten in the playoff, no question asked! Nick Saban could have retired sooner, Hugh Freeze would have been a hero over at Jordan-Hare, but none of that happened! I HATE YOU, AUBURN!! WHY DIDN'T YOU RUSH MORE PEOPL-
Wait, what? *huff puff huff puff*. Sorry, I had to get that out. Now then...

Key games:

Old stand-by's:

10/5 @ Georgia (Well, the yo-yo effect takes place again as Auburn goes from hosting their top two rivals one year...)
11/30 @ Alabama (...to visiting their top two rivals the next year.)
Other big games:
9/7 vs. California (Well, at least Auburn will get five consecutive home games to start things off. Against the tough Cal Bears, we'll see how much better Auburn's passing game can be.)
9/28 vs. Oklahoma (For the first time ever, Oklahoma will visit Jordan-Hare Stadium. In fact, the only other times these two teams have fought have been in bowl games.)
10/19 @ Missouri (Auburn will get a bye week to prepare for a Missouri team now thinking of a national title.)

Bottom line: Hmm... The schedule isn't as bad as I thought. Yeah, Auburn has to go to Athens and Tuscaloosa this year, but they've done that plenty of times. So in order for Auburn to have a better record in 2024, maybe all they need to do is be more explosive on offense. And definitely improve their play-calling.
bama game is always a highlight.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanderbilt

Preview segment: The Vanderbilt Commodores

Last season: A 2-0 start just evaporated for Vanderbilt, as they would end the season at 2-10. Now Clark Lea is on the ropes as the coach, and he's trying something new to save himself.

Good news: I heard that Clark is now calling the defensive plays himself. Makes sense, as his expertise is on the defensive side of the field. Vandy is also using a new offense with the option as it's base, with New Mexico State transfer Diego Pavia the likely starter. Watch for RB Sedrick Alexander to be a feature back for the 'Dores (he certainly is for me with my Vanderbilt dynasty in "CFB 25").

Bad news: The 'Dores are still behind the rest of the SEC in terms of talent. Vandy is now using the transfer portal to fill in some holes, but did they enter it too late? And a complete coaching staff overhaul in the offseason might not help, either.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Virginia Tech (A pretty big opener for Vandy and their new offense. But something tells me that their new defense will decide if Vandy gets the upset.)
10/12 @ Kentucky (Vandy is looking to silence the rival Wildcats once again.)
11/9 vs. South Carolina (Another winnable SEC game for the 'Dores.)
11/30 vs. Tennessee (Oh man, I'm really hoping that Vanderbilt's new offense will run well. That way, they can stand a chance when they host the rival Volunteers.)

Bottom line: Things don't look good for Clark Lea and Vanderbilt in 2024. When I was leading Vandy through the 2024 schedule in Dynasty Mode, the best record I got was 8-5. So what will happen in real life when Vandy has to deal with monsters like Missouri, Alabama, LSU, and Texas (most of them on the road)? Unless their new offense confounds their opponents, it could be another long year in Nashville.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama

The last, amazing, controversial preview segment for 2024: The Alabama Crimson Tide

Last season: So Nick Saban has finally retired. Well, at least his last season leading Alabama was up to code: Beating up all of their SEC rivals, winning the SEC title, and basically pissing off all of the fans that screams for parity at the FBS level (just ask Florida State). And at least we have that loss to Michigan (in the Rose Bowl) to remember 2023 by.
So now former Washington coach Kalen DeBoer has stepped in to try to do the impossible: Sit in Saban's chair and last just as long as he did.

Good news: You know, Alabama was kinda mid in the department of offensive production last year. I guess that's why DeBoer is here; he can get QB Jalen Milroe and the running game to a better place. And Alabama still has defensive players that can kick some major @$$; Deontae Lawson and Jihaad Campbell is a SCARY twosome at linebacker.

Bad news: After Saban left, a lot of players left as well, and that's why Alabama only has 9 starters total coming back. The secondary and O-line are 2 areas of particular concern; we have a lot of youngsters at those areas.

Key games:
9/14 @ Wisconsin (Playing Wisconsin doesn't sound too scary for Alabama. But playing at Camp-Randell with all of those nutso fans jumping around? THAT could be a problem. I'd love to see how 'Bama's line play holds up here.)
9/28 vs. Georgia (See my Georgia preview.)
10/19 @ Tennessee (The Vols smell blood in the water now that Nick Saban is gone. Don't forget what happened to the Tide 2 years ago in Knoxville.)
11/9 @ LSU (LSU is in the same boat as Tennessee; they beat Alabama the last time they came to visit Baton Rouge.)
11/23 @ Oklahoma (Alabama will have a [somewhat] bye week [against a FCS school] before they go to Norman for a big SEC contest and a media zoo.)
11/30 vs. Auburn (...I'm still mad over Alabama converting that 4th-and-31 against Auburn in last year's "Iron Bowl".)

Bottom line: Everyone in the SEC is ready to pay back Alabama for all of the humiliations Nick Saban gave them over the years. But DO NOT sell this Crimson Tide team short. They're still gonna be a powerhouse, and if Kalen DeBoer gets great play from his young starters they're gonna be a national title contender again.
But can he make opponents FEAR the Tide like Nick Saban did? That's gonna be the ultimate question that may take more than 1 year to answer.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC Predictions

Now it's time for me to throw out some predictions and see if they stick. Will you hate my picks? Let's find out!

1. Georgia (Conference champs)
2. Ole Miss (Playoff team)
3. Texas (Playoff team)
4. Alabama (Maybe playoff team)
5. Missouri (Maybe playoff team)
6. Tennessee
7. LSU
8. Texas A&M
9. Oklahoma
10. Florida
11. Auburn
12. Kentucky
13. South Carolina
14. Arkansas
15. Mississippi State
16. Vanderbilt

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is definitely the most competitive conference in CFB, it’s absolutely fucking loaded this year

I am picking Georgia to win it as well - Georgia has taken Bama’s spot as CFBs biggest dynasty now, they are loaded with talent at every position, and with Beck back they have one of the best QB’s in CFB and their D is elite as well. The schedule is brutal though with road games at Bama, Texas and Ole Miss.

I think Ole Miss may be the second best team in the SEC, they are very experienced, Dart is a strong QB, they have a very good receiving unit and several experienced rushers, and they add in several transfers on D to give them more experience. I think Ole Miss has a great shot at the playoff.

Bama should be strong as well and shouldn’t be written off just because Saban is gone - they have a lot of talent as always, and Milroe should be one of CFBs top QBs this year, the inexperience of the receiving unit and the secondary is cause for some concern though. And their schedule is brutal, road games at LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Wisconsin plus hosting Georgia and Missouri.

Missouri is a playoff contender as well after their breakthrough season last year - their offense is loaded with Cook back at QB, plus an elite receiving unit and they have 2 good RBs transferring in. The defense lost some key guys but returns some experienced guys as well, and I think they have a strong shot at the playoff as well.

Texas is one of the most interesting CFB teams, they finally got over the hump last year and made the playoff, and they return Ewers at QB who’s excellent, but the rest of their offense is almost all new. Most of their D is back which will help. They definitely could return to the playoff.

Those 5 teams look like the clear cut playoff contenders, but I wouldn’t count out Oklahoma, LSU or Tennessee either. Oklahoma’s D improved a lot last year and has almost everyone back, and if their new QB plays well they will be dangerous. LSU is replacing the Heisman winning QB and two great receivers but there’s still plenty of talent and experience in Baton Rouge and they could surprise people. Tennessee should have a strong offense once again but their D is a question mark as they lost their top 6 tacklers.

Two of the SECs most interesting teams are A&M and Florida - the Aggies could definitely have a bounce back year and I like the hire of Elko as coach, if their QB play is more steady and improved they should have a strong team. As for the Gators, this looks like Napier’s best team but their schedule is a nightmare - facing Georgia, LSU, Texas, Ole Miss and Tennessee plus FSU, Miami and UCF out of conference, they have their work cut out for them, if they finish with another losing record Napier is out.

The only teams in the SEC I don’t see contending for bowls are Vanderbilt and Miss St.

I cannot fucking wait for football!!