• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins "Questioning" Tua's Potential

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A disappointing rookie season from Tua Tagovailoa has Miami Dolphins teammates questioning his abilities, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.

General manager Chris Grier said last week it was "clear that Tua is our starter" going into 2021, but multiple anonymous Dolphins players don't think the position should be guaranteed.

"I understand what they said," one player said. "But I don't understand why."

"I don't know, man, that's like a puzzle right there," another player added.

Tagovailoa totaled 1,814 passing yards with 11 touchdowns and five interceptions in 10 appearances this season after being selected No. 5 overall in the 2020 NFL draft.

Players were reportedly "caught totally off guard" when the Dolphins benched Fitzpatrick for Tagovailoa in Week 8.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link was from Bleacher Report so it doesn't show up here.... But that is where I got story from

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hint Hint Wink Wink - Tua to Houston for Watson?

Or Dolphins draft a QB

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a believer that if you have a playoff ready roster and you are convinced that you have the wrong QB, move on from him. This team saw Tua a lot more than just 9 games, they evaluated him day in and day out in practice, much like Arizona didn’t take long to realize Josh Rosen was never going to lead them where they wanted to go.
Hangin on to a QB just because of where you drafted him isn’t going to make him the QB you thought you drafted.

And what makes this most unique, is as good as Miami will be moving forward, they really won’t be picking in the top 5 for a long time, so now is the time to strike.

I don’t buy the Tua/Houston thing as much as I would think Houston would take that #3 pick back and draft a new QB

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a believer that if you have a playoff ready roster and you are convinced that you have the wrong QB, move on from him. This team saw Tua a lot more than just 9 games, they evaluated him day in and day out in practice, much like Arizona didn’t take long to realize Josh Rosen was never going to lead them where they wanted to go.
Hangin on to a QB just because of where you drafted him isn’t going to make him the QB you thought you drafted.

And what makes this most unique, is as good as Miami will be moving forward, they really won’t be picking in the top 5 for a long time, so now is the time to strike.

I don’t buy the Tua/Houston thing as much as I would think Houston would take that #3 pick back and draft a new QB

Plus right now the Dolphins are doing everything correctly and it wouldn't be that smart to just keep Tua just to keep him. I thought there pick of him at the time was a stretch and I still do.

Houston is drafting a QB for sure... Probably not a "named" on since they should be all gone prior to their pick as they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick, correct?

BrownEyedGirl

Let's Go Islanders!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Tua and I was rooting for him when he got the start in Miami, but his performance was concerning. I think it's perfectly fine for a team like Miami to draft the best QB left on the board if there are any doubts about their current QB (even if the current QB was a recent high draft pick himself) and have them compete for the #1 spot. If it all works out then you also have a QB that could provide trade value. Although with Miami I could also make the argument that Devonte Adams from Alabama could help make Tua look very good next year.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is part Tua being too cautious out there and maybe not as good as expected. And also part of maybe a little bit (don't read too much into this) victim of the moment. Herbert came in and took off and now every team thinks they should have got "that guy". And Miami's rebuild turned out to be ahead of schedule so they now are thinking bigger than they were going into last season.
I'm not 100% sold on Tua either amd maybe there is someone better out there but this situation is different than the Cards and Rosen, imo. Miami does have that 3rd pick from Houston though so maybe they are thinking one of those top QBs will be there and worth a shot.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is part Tua being too cautious out there and maybe not as good as expected. And also part of maybe a little bit (don't read too much into this) victim of the moment. Herbert came in and took off and now every team thinks they should have got "that guy". And Miami's rebuild turned out to be ahead of schedule so they now are thinking bigger than they were going into last season.
I'm not 100% sold on Tua either amd maybe there is someone better out there but this situation is different than the Cards and Rosen, imo. Miami does have that 3rd pick from Houston though so maybe they are thinking one of those top QBs will be there and worth a shot.

I always think of the Jaguars and their stubbornness of sticking with Blake Bortles much longer than they should have because of draft position

that team went all the way to an AFC title game in spite of him, which really highlighted how much they wasted such a talented roster because they refused to upgrade that QB position

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of trading Tua for Watson or some significant draft capital, knowing you probably are picking one of Fields or Wilson, there's very little reason to give up on Tua. Just add... weapons around him?

Josh Allen was not a good QB his first two years in the NFL.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hint Hint Wink Wink - Tua to Houston for Watson?

Or Dolphins draft a QB
Just saw one mock where this trade does happen. But the trade as described is the #3 and #18, a second round and Tua to Houston for Watson and a 4th round.

Two first rounders? I don't think so.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see Houston taking Tua and multiple draft picks and playing out Tua's contract before deciding if he's the future.....the Texans need a lot of help so they could use that #3 pick on OL help or defense.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw one mock where this trade does happen. But the trade as described is the #3 and #18, a second round and Tua to Houston for Watson and a 4th round.

Two first rounders. Did not see that part.. Dang

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Small problem. Miami already owns the #3 from Houston.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of trading Tua for Watson or some significant draft capital, knowing you probably are picking one of Fields or Wilson, there's very little reason to give up on Tua. Just add... weapons around him?

Josh Allen was not a good QB his first two years in the NFL.
Agree but Josh Allen’s development has been nothing short of a miracle. Scouts loved him bc he had great size, a huge arm and he was uber athletic. Allen changed his entire throwing motion and became deadly accurate. I just don’t see any of those traits with Tua, he is somewhat athletic but it doesn’t mean he can’t be a decent QB...that being said, teams are impatient these days especially if you are a piece (QB) away from possibly contending. He’s only played 9 games. I personally am not crazy about him though but I’m also not in practice watching him throw, game action, etc. I just don’t see an “IT factor” with Tua

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets take a QB then Sewell is on the board and Miami runs to the podium. Miami has no reason to divulge how many good QBs they think are in this class to the Jets right now.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never mind. You're saying Miami trades #3 back to Houston.
Funny part is that Houston never thought they'd have such a bad year when they traded for Tunsil, that they'd end up with the #3. They probably expected the earliest they'd be drafting was the high 20s.