• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dog Days of August = "Two Week Gut Check": 8/12-8/26

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this series in Minneapolis, things get interesting. Minus Grandal, we're nearly at full health *knock on wood* and we have a chance to silence the critics who say we can't beat the league's elite. Sure, I will still point out how much that doesn't mean on an historical basis. That being said - it doesn't mean I'm not intrigued to see how we fair.

One thing you will also notice. Is that from the day our series began with KC on 8/3 through 8/29? We will have a grand total of ONE off day. Which, I will point out, is merely a day off in the middle of our Yankees series. While we head from Iowa (FOD game) out east to NY. This is also a day after we arrive in Iowa from Minneapolis. So, it's going to be a helluva a grind.

3 games vs NYY (one game at FOD)
4 games vs Oakland
3 games at Tampa Bay
4 games at Toronto

All four are playoff caliber teams. Yankees and Jays added at the deadline and are red hot in their push for a Wild Card spot. Rays have the best record in the AL. A's hold the top Wild Card spot and are on Houston's ass in the AL West.

We're starting to play pretty good ball again and our lineup is getting hot with the return of Eloy/Robert. Time to flop our proverbial dick down on the American League table.

FWIW - I think this upcoming trek makes these next two vs Minnesota matter a bit more than it normally would. You have to stack up wins vs a last place team right now. We can play really good ball and are still likely to lose a handful this month.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this series in Minneapolis, things get interesting. Minus Grandal, we're nearly at full health *knock on wood* and we have a chance to silence the critics who say we can't beat the league's elite. Sure, I will still point out how much that doesn't mean on an historical basis. That being said - it doesn't mean I'm not intrigued to see how we fair.

One thing you will also notice. Is that from the day our series began with KC on 8/3 through 8/29? We will have a grand total of ONE off day. Which, I will point out, is merely a day off in the middle of our Yankees series. While we head from Iowa (FOD game) out east to NY. This is also a day after we arrive in Iowa from Minneapolis. So, it's going to be a helluva a grind.

3 games vs NYY (one game at FOD)
4 games vs Oakland
3 games at Tampa Bay
4 games at Toronto

All four are playoff caliber teams. Yankees and Jays added at the deadline and are red hot in their push for a Wild Card spot. Rays have the best record in the AL. A's hold the top Wild Card spot and are on Houston's ass in the AL West.

We're starting to play pretty good ball again and our lineup is getting hot with the return of Eloy/Robert. Time to flop our proverbial dick down on the American League table.
Realistically, I'd be more than satisfied if we walk away with a 7-7 record against these clubs, all of whom have been playing excellent ball of late. So it's not like we're catching any of them in a slump. Of course I'd like to do even better, but believe me, if we come out of this with a .500 output, that'll work.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, I'd be more than satisfied if we walk away with a 7-7 record against these clubs, all of whom have been playing excellent ball of late. So it's not like we're catching any of them in a slump. Of course I'd like to do even better, but believe me, if we come out of this with a .500 output, that'll work.
Yeah, 7-7 would be fine by me. Take two series and drop two series. I won't be thrilled, by any means, but it's respectable. That would leave us with roughly 75-76 wins, 52-53 losses. Heading into a much more forgiving late August/September that starts off with CHC, PIT, KC. Outside of 3 vs OAK and Boston? There's not much more to be afraid of beyond this stretch.

Now, if we do stay hot and rip off a 10-5 or 11-4? Really play fantastically? We could be looking down the barrel of a 100 win season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-7 Record
+1 Run Differential (66-65)

If Eloy doesn't homer in the top of the 9th today - that's about as much of a dead split as you can get. lol

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-7 Record
+1 Run Differential (66-65)

If Eloy doesn't homer in the top of the 9th today - that's about as much of a dead split as you can get. lol
Whew, talk about tight!!! But we have to at least be satisfied to have walked away with an even split. Those are some damn good ballclubs. I'm still not happy that we have a sub .500 record against winning teams, but the White Sox of more recent vintage would have crumbled under the weight of facing such clubs. We're getting better by the season!!!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew, talk about tight!!! But we have to at least be satisfied to have walked away with an even split. Those are some damn good ballclubs. I'm still not happy that we have a sub .500 record against winning teams, but the White Sox of more recent vintage would have crumbled under the weight of facing such clubs. We're getting better by the season!!!
We're 29-33 against opponents over .500. The Dodgers are 29-29 going into tonight. Even if you believe that kind of thing matters? It's not that noticeable of a deficit between us and other contenders anymore. We are also 11-10 since the break. Outside of Houston - who has been strangely good vs teams over .500 and perhaps even more strangely mediocre vs teams under .500.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're 29-33 against opponents over .500. The Dodgers are 29-29 going into tonight. Even if you believe that kind of thing matters? It's not that noticeable of a deficit between us and other contenders anymore. Outside of Houston - who has been strangely good vs teams over .500 and perhaps even more strangely mediocre vs teams under .500.
Wait, what? I thought I just read the other day that we're below .500 against teams with winning records. Maybe it was sub .500 against teams in the thick of the playoff hunt. Not sure. I'd like to see our records against those +.500 teams.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what? I thought I just read the other day that we're below .500 against teams with winning records. Maybe it was sub .500 against teams in the thick of the playoff hunt. Not sure. I'd like to see our records against those +.500 teams.
We are under .500.

I said we are 29-33.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're 29-33 against opponents over .500. The Dodgers are 29-29 going into tonight. Even if you believe that kind of thing matters? It's not that noticeable of a deficit between us and other contenders anymore. We are also 11-10 since the break. Outside of Houston - who has been strangely good vs teams over .500 and perhaps even more strangely mediocre vs teams under .500.
Exactly - I saw something recently listing all the WS champions who play below .500 against winning teams in the regular season - there were maybe 7 in the last 25 years. Besides the Sox are only like 2-3 games down from a winning percentage anyway.

The White Sox are going to have a ticket to ride in these playoffs - and need to be playing their best baseball then.

It's like TLR - is engaged in his version of the "rope-a-dope" where somehow resting the pitching staff in August is going to give the Sox an advantage when they are throwing pitches for real. The other teams will be pitched out and the Sox will be fresh. In effect - TLR is betting that a rested pitching staff will be a greater advantage than a #1 seed in the playoffs with a tired staff.

The Sox should have their ideal lineup with all their top players back by Sept 1 - and let's see how they respond to the stretch run.