• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does spring training matter?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like not really, no. But pretty strong correlations for the best record teams in the regular season: they generally had good springs those years

Do spring training records mean anything? - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

One note: Melky had a great spring last year too. The Royals had a great spring but not a good regular season. But Melky had as we know a great year after his great spring. So here's hoping!

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like not really, no. But pretty strong correlations for the best record teams in the regular season: they generally had good springs those years

Do spring training records mean anything? - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

One note: Melky had a great spring last year too. The Royals had a great spring but not a good regular season. But Melky had as we know a great year after his great spring. So here's hoping!

If I have to watch Zito pitch every fourth day, Melky better have a good start to the season! ;) Of course, there were times when Durtty was just as frustrating (luckily, he was far cheaper and showed many more flashes of brilliance). We shall see.

Interesting article, but I don't need figures to tell me that these games mean absolutely nothing. Let's Play (Real) Ball!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another useless tidbit:

The Giants current spring winning percentage puts them at 91 wins if they do the same in the regular season. Right where we seem to be generally guessing they'll be.

Just sayin'

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does spring training matter?

If you are asking if good stats (team or individual player) are accurate harbingers of a team's/player's performance in the regular season then no, not at all.