• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does anyone else think Chris Connor will be a go to guy when we need a call up?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love for it to be Brian Dumoulin, Philip Samuelsson, Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta, Scott Harrington, Harrison Ruopp, Paul Thompson, Brian Gibbons, Tom Kuhnhackl, or Jayson Megna, but no, none of those guys got any NHL experience, and when the Pens need a player they look at experience more than talent and potential. Chris Connor isn't a bad player, he's got decent speed and some good grip, but it's unlikely that he'll ever have a future with the team beyond occasional call up duty or a brief stint on the 4th line. I would rather use call up duty to give prospects some much needed experience, rather than give it to someone who already has experience, especially this year where we need to find something that works for the backlines. At the same time, I don't mind Chris Connor on the roster one bit if he's there instead of Tanner Glass.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also bugs me how we never called up Alex Grant. Oh yeah, that's right, Deryk Engelland was our go to guy. Watch him shine with the Ducks, meanwhile all we got was Harry Zolnierczyk, who will probably be our number 1 call up if it's not Chris Connor. So basically all we could look forward to from the farm is Chris Connor & Harry Zolnierczyk, wow, wonderful, hope we don't see too many injuries to our forwards this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i had that feeling also when I saw they brough Conner back. Don't forget MacIntyre they will call him up also, why I never will know.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how we got guys like Paul Thompson, Brian Gibbons, Tom Kuhnhackl, & Dominic Uher, yet Chris Connor, Harry Zolnierczyk, & Steve McIntyre will get the majority (if not all) the call ups.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the dmen, we got Brian Dumoulin, Philip Samuelsson, Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta, Scott Harrington, & Harrison Ruopp, yet it will be Dylan Reese who will get most of the call ups.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every one of those names truly should get a chance over Reese, Conner and MacIntyre. The same could be said for Engelland but he is not going anywhere now due to his contract and good enough for a 7th d-man. Also I would love to see folks above get a chance over Vitale, Glass, Jokinen and Adams. But this team needs to keep that "experience" with the prospect of the team being a "contender".

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every one of those names truly should get a chance over Reese, Conner and MacIntyre. The same could be said for Engelland but he is not going anywhere now due to his contract and good enough for a 7th d-man. Also I would love to see folks above get a chance over Vitale, Glass, Jokinen and Adams. But this team needs to keep that "experience" with the prospect of the team being a "contender".

True, I like how all that experience typically adds up to 0 points in 82 games, because you don't want some talented prospect without any experience to mess that up.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also add, I might be overly optimistic by assuming Chris Connor, Harry Zolnierczyk, & Dylan Reese will be our top call ups. That is entirely based on the assumption that Beau Bennett & Simon Despres make the roster. Wouldn't be at all surprised of Connor, Zolnierczyk, & Reese make the roster out of camp while Bennett & Despres do AHL time again this season.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also add, I might be overly optimistic by assuming Chris Connor, Harry Zolnierczyk, & Dylan Reese will be our top call ups. That is entirely based on the assumption that Beau Bennett & Simon Despres make the roster. Wouldn't be at all surprised of Connor, Zolnierczyk, & Reese make the roster out of camp while Bennett & Despres do AHL time again this season.

Wouldn't doubt it either and don't get it. They have no value add or chance to get better and make the team better. Should never be more than AHL roster filler.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't doubt it either and don't get it. They have no value add or chance to get better and make the team better. Should never be more than AHL roster filler.

Yeah, that's my biggest gripe about the team, our call ups make absolutely no sense. Anyone who has been following the WBS Pens the past few years knows that we haven't at all been optimal about our call ups. Not only do we deny young prospects a chance to shine in the NHL, but we don't call up the best players on the team either. Even if we didn't want to give young guys a chance, Riley Holzapfel should've been our #1 call up for forwards & Alex Grant should've been our #1 call up for defensemen last season.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, wouldn't it be cool if the Doobster could decide the call ups? Bet you I would make all the Penguin fans happy with whom I call up. it would be prospects you all want to see, not just some roster fill-ins.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vitale is the best faceoff man the Pens have and adds speed, grit and desire. Jokinen is also a talented face off man. Honestly, I see no need for Glass and Adams

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dudes, we have bigger problems than this.....there's already talk that we're keeping Nisky and clearing the cap space by sending Despres to the minors. Looks like Disco is at it again. Another wasted young guy who never gets a fair shake. if this happens, it's complete bullshit and Disco might become dead to me like MAF after last year's playoff choke job.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dudes, we have bigger problems than this.....there's already talk that we're keeping Nisky and clearing the cap space by sending Despres to the minors. Looks like Disco is at it again. Another wasted young guy who never gets a fair shake. if this happens, it's complete bullshit and Disco might become dead to me like MAF after last year's playoff choke job.

Wonderful, Despres to the minors. Why am I not surprised. Watch them send Beau Bennett to the minors as well. Would be nice if we just tanked in 2014-15 to get Connor McDavid. Oh wait, Connor McDavid would probably be AHL bound as well. WTF is wrong with this team?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Despres starts in WBS (which none of us would be shocked, disappointed yes but not shocked) they are still over the cap so that mean another player will have to be waived or like Doobie said Bennett to WBS.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vitale is the best faceoff man the Pens have and adds speed, grit and desire. Jokinen is also a talented face off man. Honestly, I see no need for Glass and Adams

Well true they were good faceoff men but their numbers are skewed by the fact both took a lot less chances. And not sure how often either were put in pressure situations to win faceoffs.

I don't disagree with you both are good to keep on this team but in the grand scheme, maybe Vitale has a future as a great bottom 6 but Jokinen is gone after this season. So if the cap is truly going to be an issue for years to come I would like for this team to actually give someone a chance to prove it vs trotting out those players.

I guess we shouldn't complain too much this is a playoff team with a ton of talent but is way too top heavy.

As for Glass just think they dump him they are under the cap and won't have to move any other players. :L

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonderful, Despres to the minors. Why am I not surprised. Watch them send Beau Bennett to the minors as well. Would be nice if we just tanked in 2014-15 to get Connor McDavid. Oh wait, Connor McDavid would probably be AHL bound as well. WTF is wrong with this team?

Nope, they're gonna bury BB on h 3rd line where he as no business being. We do a horrible job of giving young talent the chance to succeed

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, they're gonna bury BB on h 3rd line where he as no business being. We do a horrible job of giving young talent the chance to succeed

Well if Despres is the option they are still over the cap and Bennett is the easy one to move to WBS, don't be surprised if neither are in Pittsburgh at the beginning of camp.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take BB on the 3rd line, I'll take anything I could get at this point.