• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doc Rivers isnt that good

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old thread gets bumped....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, and I understand what the guy has done for the Clippers. And up til now I thought he was a really good coach as we discussed, but up 3 to 1, those players imo quit on him. He made no real adjustments, they didn't play on either side on offense or defense. And yet

they are bringing him back because Leonard wants to play for Rivers.

That is an organization in trouble...and Im just glad its them and not the Lakers for a change.

Now for next year it could be much tougher

Lakers will improve
The splash brothers should bring the warriors back into the mix
Dont rely on the Spurs being irrelevant long
its going to be brutal, but for this year the Clippers have no excuses

Yes I know they don't. It was an epic fail. But firing the coach doesn't fix it, especially if your superstar wants him there.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um...I meant LAST year. With no stars at all Doc got them to 48 wins in the West and took the KD Warriors to 6 games. You get what "no stars" meant in my initial comment right? Last year was Doc's best IMO

I saw a first round out. Good for him :clap: :clap:

You do realize Doc has given up more 3-1 and 3-2 leads than any coach of all-time and he had some very very talented teams.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um...I meant LAST year. With no stars at all Doc got them to 48 wins in the West and took the KD Warriors to 6 games. You get what "no stars" meant in my initial comment right? Last year was Doc's best IMO

That's part of why I've had to add another tier to how I view coaches.

He won a title with the Celtics, but it's looking like he didn't deserve near as much credit as he has gotten.

It seems that when he's had teams like last years Clippers, where little was expected of them, he has actually had those teams overachieve.

But, when he has had teams with high expectations like the CP3, Blake teams and now this years team, they have massively underachieved.

It looks like he's getting a mulligan this year, but with the money Ballmer has already spent and is about to spend building a new arena...he's probably going to be looking for more of a return on his investment than he has gotten so far.

I almost wonder if the reason Ty Lue hasn't really gotten any respect for his title is because of Doc getting too much credit for the one in Boston?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's part of why I've had to add another tier to how I view coaches.

He won a title with the Celtics, but it's looking like he didn't deserve near as much credit as he has gotten.

It seems that when he's had teams like last years Clippers, where little was expected of them, he has actually had those teams overachieve.

But, when he has had teams with high expectations like the CP3, Blake teams and now this years team, they have massively underachieved.

It looks like he's getting a mulligan this year, but with the money Ballmer has already spent and is about to spend building a new arena...he's probably going to be looking for more of a return on his investment than he has gotten so far.

I almost wonder if the reason Ty Lue hasn't really gotten any respect for his title is because of Doc getting too much credit for the one in Boston?

This is probably overthinking it too. GMs, owners, and coaches all talk and discuss strategy and philosophy and see what happens behind the scenes. If Ballmer and Frank don't think he is why they lost, or they don't see anyone better out there, or don't think the disruption will help, he doesn't get fired.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I know they don't. It was an epic fail. But firing the coach doesn't fix it, especially if your superstar wants him there.

Sure, but keeping the coach doesn't fix it either. Do they need a third star to get over the top? They have very little in terms of trade pieces unless Playoff P (down his leg) is getting moved. If they put together enough to get a third star, they will have league minimum guys in every other slot anyway, which takes away all the role players that helped get the team this far.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but keeping the coach doesn't fix it either. Do they need a third star to get over the top? They have very little in terms of trade pieces unless Playoff P (down his leg) is getting moved. If they put together enough to get a third star, they will have league minimum guys in every other slot anyway, which takes away all the role players that helped get the team this far.
They may never fix it. My point was only that firing Rivers would not make sense.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may never fix it. My point was only that firing Rivers would not make sense.

I said they wouldn't either, as anyone with a halfway decent season should get a mulligan given the awkward situation the pandemic through this season into.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends on who they can get, imo. The problem is, I don't know who is, or will be available that would be better. Especially if Kawhi still wants Doc.

Unless something drastic happens, their best bet might be to take a flyer on a promising young assistant...but I'm not sure that's a great idea if you do that when your team has title expectations.

Having said that, a team can always fire the coach. So maybe give him a "Covid pass" for this season and see how things go over the off-season and next year. If I'm Ballmer though, I'm definitely letting him know that the 2nd round exit, especially with them collapsing in 3 straight games, is unacceptable and that he's on a very short leash.

Btw, remember when everyone said that the Clippers had the better coach?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, remember when everyone said that the Clippers had the better coach?
I never said that. Vogul is a solid coach; which is all you need with LeBron as he does a lot of the stuff coaches do for you.

On a side note, will 'Cane's head explode from pure hate overload if it is the Lakers vs. Heat in the Finals and Vogul gets a ring with LeBron?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that. Vogul is a solid coach; which is all you need with LeBron as he does a lot of the stuff coaches do for you.

On a side note, will 'Cane's head explode from pure hate overload if it is the Lakers vs. Heat in the Finals and Vogul gets a ring with LeBron?

season 3 episode 23 GIF