• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

do y'all play or just fans?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a 4.0 rated player and will play in a couple leagues throughout the year. For some reason, the 4.0 men in my area have become bitches about how the USTA deals, so most of my leagues have been mixed doubles.

I hit with a Wilson BLX six one 95 with a 16x18 string bed and am mainly a baseliner

String my own racquets, but just started experimenting with more string combos and figuring out what is best for my game.

How about everyone else?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play Alta for the neighborhood and then starting with Ultimate this fall.

I'm a fairly decent player, play with the Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus.

APD13-1.jpg
As my background and talents lie more in being able to run, I tend to be all over the court, mostly baseline though. Two handed backswing, I do not string my own racquets though.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As my background and talents lie more in being able to run, I tend to be all over the court, mostly baseline though. Two handed backswing, I do not string my own racquets though.
what the heck is Alta and Ultimate?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the heck is Alta and Ultimate?

Sorry - Alta is the Atlanta Lawn & Tennis Association. It's mainly for neighborhoods and you just get teams at each level and play doubles.

Ultimate Tennis is huge, you can play either singles or doubles, but if you look them up online, you'll see exactly what it is. Basically just a league where I can play Singles.

Reactions: ill

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a 4.0 rated player and will play in a couple leagues throughout the year. For some reason, the 4.0 men in my area have become bitches about how the USTA deals, so most of my leagues have been mixed doubles.

I hit with a Wilson BLX six one 95 with a 16x18 string bed and am mainly a baseliner

String my own racquets, but just started experimenting with more string combos and figuring out what is best for my game.

How about everyone else?

I am still playing. Been going up and down between 4.0 and 4.5 depending on health. I understand about the USTA. I ran teams for 15 years and it just got too out of hand and getting expensive as well. Districts and Sectionals on a Friday is a pain in the ass too.

I still play on a team in New England though. Got some old Yonex xi10s with Kirshbaum pro line II poly 18 guage. Pretty much razor wire, lol.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh so it's a southern thing. Doesn't come up to the DC area.

We have a couple local ladders that get a lot of action for men's singles. I haven't played on that in a while though.

Exactly - It's nice. I just wish USTA was more popular here. My neighborhood has just over 2,000 homes, and all we have a is a Seniors team (I'm 30).

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennis is one of those sports that is extremely fun to play but I lose interest when I try to watch it. Similar to Soccer.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennis is one of those sports that is extremely fun to play but I lose interest when I try to watch it. Similar to Soccer.
I enjoy watching, but I think it is one of those sports that unless you play, you don't fully appreciate what you are watching. I have friends that are that way with golf and baseball as well.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love watching Tennis. I do think it's more interesting if you play. For instance, when I play on the baseline, 90% of my returns are less than 6 inches above the net, whereas pros use so much spin, that their balls go so much higher and then drop in, not to mention at a much higher velocity.

Nothing makes me feel more human than when I get aced by someone serving 80mph and then I watch someone get a racket on Raonic's 140mph serve.

I enjoy watching, but I think it is one of those sports that unless you play, you don't fully appreciate what you are watching. I have friends that are that way with golf and baseball as well.

I can't watch golf or baseball to save my life. Both are boring as hell to me. The only time I might watch baseball is when I have some buddies over and we are grilling and then we might put baseball on the TV so it's our version of background music.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love watching Tennis. I do think it's more interesting if you play. For instance, when I play on the baseline, 90% of my returns are less than 6 inches above the net, whereas pros use so much spin, that their balls go so much higher and then drop in, not to mention at a much higher velocity.

Nothing makes me feel more human than when I get aced by someone serving 80mph and then I watch someone get a racket on Raonic's 140mph serve.

I can't watch golf or baseball to save my life. Both are boring as hell to me. The only time I might watch baseball is when I have some buddies over and we are grilling and then we might put baseball on the TV so it's our version of background music.
if it is a good lazy day with nothing to do, I will put on any sport and just have it on in the background while I lay on the couch and read.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know how you lose interest especially if you watch the top players

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How about everyone else?

I used to play a lot. Won a few 4.0 events and also a 4.5 event back around 2010-2011
Now retired (if I may use the term), I used to play with the Sampras racquets WPS Classic 85, and later with WPS Tour 90, K factor 90, n Code 90, BLX 90, ( basically the same stuff Fed used throughout his own career), now I have a couple of ProKennex Redondos ( these are great for shoulder pain which is what caused me to force-retire).

I have experimented with strings. I recommend trying hybrids in main and crosses. Thinner gauge gives you better feel. Never played natural gut cause those would break easily and cost an arm and leg to buy. I remember hitting with Gamma TNT 18 gauge and the control was amazing but terrible on shoulders as are all Polys and Kevlar strings. Make sure you have the right swing index frame and the right grip cause those also play a role in longevity of your game.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's an interesting string pattern.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just joined a tennis club after virtually never playing since 2011 or so. Back then, I was a solid 4.0 on NTRP. Right now, I am about a 3.6.

My game actually varies in effectiveness quite a bit by style of my opponent. I hit very flat and can easily guide the shots of flat hitters. When I go up against people with low velocity but a bunch of spin, my forehand flies off the court. My last two matches, I lost 4&4 to a 4.3 who hits flat and lost 3&5 to a 3.6 who spins it. Once I can figure out how to control the forehand again, I'll probably be back to a 4.0.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be a part of the USTA to be rated, right?

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit some serves yesterday while taking breaks between teaching my five year old. Shoulder hurts when I do. My accuracy is really off though I got some good ones in. He is really getting into tennis. But too early to tell if he will stick with it.