• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Browns and Jets seriously considering drafting a QB early if they fail this season?

Should the Browns or Jets draft a QB early?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont always spot them.....I thought Johnny Football was going to be a decent starter at some point. :crazy:

There are pently of examples of CFB players that won the Heisman that were flops in the NFL. It's been happening for decades. And it won't be stopping anytime soon.

I'll start with my team. Archie Griffin- only 2x Heisman winner did nothing in the NFL. Charles White. George Rogers. Mike Rozier. Andre Ware. Ty Detmer. Danny Wuerffel. Chris Weinki. And it's happened from players in the P5 conferences.

My bad for the rant. Just a little bored. Stuck inside today. Wildfire smoke has returned. Although not nearly as bad as it was.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comp for Baker Mayfield coming out was Jimmy G. I still think thats fair.

You don't need to make complex reads if you're running the football. If you have Chubb and Hunt and you're not running well then the issues are greater than the QB. imo

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No excuses for Baker if he shits the bed again, but Darnold is in a tough spot. I don't think too many QBs would excel on the Jets right now. Baker on the other hand has weapons all over the place...again...

Not a fan of Mayfield. But I have to root for him to succeed because he plays for my team. He proved his rookie year he has the potential to be a decent QB. But he needs some stability. He's only in his third year and has already had 4 coaches and 3 different systems. That's not good for any QB.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are pently of examples of CFB players that won the Heisman that were flops in the NFL. It's been happening for decades. And it won't be stopping anytime soon.

I'll start with my team. Archie Griffin- only 2x Heisman winner did nothing in the NFL. Charles White. George Rogers. Mike Rozier. Andre Ware. Ty Detmer. Danny Wuerffel. Chris Weinki. And it's happened from players in the P5 conferences.

My bad for the rant. Just a little bored. Stuck inside today. Wildfire smoke has returned. Although not nearly as bad as it was.
Seventy-eight players have won a Heisman Trophy. Fifteen of those players have never played one game in the NFL, including the first Heisman Trophy winner, Jay Berwanger. Fifteen Heisman winners went undrafted in the NFL, most recently 2003 Heisman winner, Jason White of Oklahoma. :suds:

8 are HOFers

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take the other side of the debate on this one. Darnold has basically nothing around him. The Browns on the other hand do have a lot of talent but change coaches every year. It goes back to being a stable franchise, even if you get the right guy...you need a stable environment and system around the guy. Still, these guys aren't panning out...it happens but more so for shitty franchises.
This is why Daniel Jones will ultimately be more successful than darnold, because the Giants are run very differently than the Jets. They just need to find out if they hired the right coach or not

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seventy-eight players have won a Heisman Trophy. Fifteen of those players have never played one game in the NFL, including the first Heisman Trophy winner, Jay Berwanger. Fifteen Heisman winners went undrafted in the NFL, most recently 2003 Heisman winner, Jason White of Oklahoma. :suds:

8 are HOFers
Back in the 90's in New York, there was a joke that the best QB in the city played for the Knicks (Charlie Ward). I don't even recall who played for the Jets or Giants back then without looking it up

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8 are HOFers

Nice info. Did you know in 1956 Heisman was given to Paul Hornung for leading N.D. to a 2-8 record? It's a QB award now.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be both lol. Maybe hope OBJ starts going off then trade him and see what your record looks at the end of the season. If they are bad, go all-in on Lawrence or Fields. I just think they are going to keep giving Baker chances. I after this year is enough time but what do I know.

He's gotta take a step forward this year. I just think there is a clear issue with chemistry with obj.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since starting Mayfield, the Browns are 12-18.
Since starting Darnold, the Jets are 11-16.
Looking at both guys stats, Baker regressed last year while Darnold actually improved. Another thing to take note is both franchises built around these QBs. Cleveland brought in OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Kareem Hunt, they drafted Chubb and Njoku as well. New York brought in Bell, Crowder, Gore. However, none of that seems to be helping either team. Also, not a huge deal, but the Jets lambasted the Browns last year in Week 2.

Long story short I believe both teams should consider drafting a QB, but the Browns are in need of one sooner than the Jets, in my opinion.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since starting Mayfield, the Browns are 12-18.
Since starting Darnold, the Jets are 11-16.
Looking at both guys stats, Baker regressed last year while Darnold actually improved. Another thing to take note is both franchises built around these QBs. Cleveland brought in OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Kareem Hunt, they drafted Chubb and Njoku as well. New York brought in Bell, Crowder, Gore. However, none of that seems to be helping either team. Also, not a huge deal, but the Jets lambasted the Browns last year in Week 2.

Long story short I believe both teams should consider drafting a QB, but the Browns are in need of one sooner than the Jets, in my opinion.

The Browns have beat the Jets the last two years, the Browns killed the Jets last year...not saying much though.

GMEN101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are not franchise QBs but I would lean more towards Baker as he showed some promise in his rookie season.

Sick of people making excuses for QBs in year 3+. “But, he just needs a solid OL, WRs, Coaching, Defense and Rushing game to be successful!”

Franchise QBs elevate teams no matter the supporting cast.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for including bacon with the potato salad.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reactions: GNG

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the kind of season each QB has. If they stink it up, both teams should definitely start looking.

For the Browns, I'd recommend avoiding big names and just scout the best talent. Keep taking the Brady Quinns and Johnny Manziels and keep flopping. They should go for the best QB, not the best headline name.

For the Jets, it's simple: NO USC QBs. If the passer is in any way associated with the University of Southern California, go a different direction.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold is simply not NFL material. I would bet that most backups are an upgrade over him.

Baker seems like he is on the bubble. He has great options to throw to and a solid running game to take the pressure off of him. If he can’t get over the hump this season there will won’t be much enthusiasm to keep him around for long.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes they should. They'd probably take Trevor Lawrence right now over both of them.