• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Browns and Jets seriously considering drafting a QB early if they fail this season?

Should the Browns or Jets draft a QB early?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the Jets roster and I will add coaching. Bad situation for Darnold for sure but that's why they will have a shot at a high pick and maybe 1st overall. I'm not so sure Darnold is the guy either. If the pick is there, I think they pull the trigger.

Was never high on Darnold either. I never understood WalterFootball's fetish/love for the guy.

Yeah he came into a terrible organization but I never thought much of him in College either (I actually did watch him at times in College because UW/USC both Pac-12).

Actually for that matter I wasn't high on ANY of the QBs that year... I kept saying the Browns should draft Barkley or trade down. I mean Chubb is a stud so whatever, but Barkley was a far better talent/prospect than Mayfield. And then the Browns did that STUPID Odell trade and destroyed their offensive line and neglecting their defense when they did just fine Mayfield's rookie year because the passing was not a FOCUS.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy because I said Mayfield wouldn't pan out and the Browns were overrated? Not really... First off, Mayfield could still develop (although it's low), second, there's times I'm PLENTY wrong and happy to admit it so I'm always very humble about being right.

I wasn't high on Russell Wilson and didn't really like the pick we spent on him and "We have Matt Flynn so wtf?". WOOOOPS! :L

We all make good picks and bad picks. Well I'm sure you are happy RW is great but he was a 5th rounder...a little different, the Browns took Baker #1.

If they are awful I will be the first one saying...lets start over again at QB. I still think this Browns offense is talented and have a bright future. There defense needs works but they have a lot of injuries right now, which seems to be a theme.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These two teams are perfect examples how drafting a QB in the top 5 of the draft can kill a franchise just as much as not drafting one can.

You get stuck with the WRONG prospect (one that doesnt develop) and you basically doom your franchise to 3-5 years of irrelevance.

It's why if either of these teams are drafting in the top 5 and have a chance to draft a good QB prospect, they better make damn sure that it is the right one.

You cant get pressured into taking one simply because they were drafting high and there was a QB that the consensus said was worthy of the pick. You have to be able to spot the obvious top 10 busts (Rosen, Trubisky, Bortles, ect). But you also need the uncanny ability to be able to see the superstars (Mahomes, Jackson).

Tough job that's for sure.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all make good picks and bad picks. Well I'm sure you are happy RW is great but he was a 5th rounder...a little different, the Browns took Baker #1.

If they are awful I will be the first one saying...lets start over again at QB. I still think this Browns offense is talented and have a bright future. There defense needs works but they have a lot of injuries right now, which seems to be a theme.

Wilson was a 3rd rounder, but yah still vastly different than #1 overall. I do remember saying the Browns should've drafted Barkley, but you guys got Chubb so whatever.

Where it really hampered Mayfield's development IMO was the continued switching of coaches (or not having ones that were stable in place) and that moron Odell trade which created a hole on their OL (less protection for him) and money to neglect continued defense.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was never high on Darnold either. I never understood WalterFootball's fetish/love for the guy.

Yeah he came into a terrible organization but I never thought much of him in College either (I actually did watch him at times in College because UW/USC both Pac-12).

Actually for that matter I wasn't high on ANY of the QBs that year... I kept saying the Browns should draft Barkley or trade down. I mean Chubb is a stud so whatever, but Barkley was a far better talent/prospect than Mayfield. And then the Browns did that STUPID Odell trade and destroyed their offensive line and neglecting their defense when they did just fine Mayfield's rookie year because the passing was not a FOCUS.
I'm like you Shark. I thought that entire QB class was vastly over-rated but lots of teams were desperate.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These two teams are perfect examples how drafting a QB in the top 5 of the draft can kill a franchise just as much as not drafting one can.

You get stuck with the WRONG prospect (one that doesnt develop) and you basically doom your franchise to 3-5 years of irrelevance.

It's why if either of these teams are drafting in the top 5 and have a chance to draft a good QB prospect, they better make damn sure that it is the right one.

You cant get pressured into taking one simply because they were drafting high and there was a QB that the consensus said was worthy of the pick. You have to be able to spot the obvious top 10 busts (Rosen, Trubisky, Bortles, ect). But you also need the uncanny ability to be able to see the superstars (Mahomes, Jackson).

I will take the other side of the debate on this one. Darnold has basically nothing around him. The Browns on the other hand do have a lot of talent but change coaches every year. It goes back to being a stable franchise, even if you get the right guy...you need a stable environment and system around the guy. Still, these guys aren't panning out...it happens but more so for shitty franchises.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yah. I was not high on any of the QBs that year. When Mahomes got drafted I was like, "Hmm... we'll see." I was more optimistic BUT also because he was going to Andy Reid. Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind in NFL history and knows how to play his QBs to their strengths.

Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Brees (when traded to Saints) - all had something in common. They went to STABLE well coached organizations.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns should...

Jets is more complicated... but the easy answer would be yes... But if Darnold doesn't prosper, then it should be all on Gase, you know... the QB whisperer...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm like you Shark. I thought that entire QB class was vastly over-rated but lots of teams were desperate.

That was a tough QB class...I liked Darnold the most but it was so hard to decide bc I wasn't sold on any. After the draft I liked Baker the most. Even the best QB Josh Allen is overrated. Ended up Lamar was easily the best and taken at the end of the 1st. The Browns were put in a corner and they seem to be fucked either way. Doesn't help changing coaches every year.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah. I was not high on any of the QBs that year. When Mahomes got drafted I was like, "Hmm... we'll see." I was more optimistic BUT also because he was going to Andy Reid. Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind in NFL history and knows how to play his QBs to their strengths.

Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Brees (when traded to Saints) - all had something in common. They went to STABLE well coached organizations.

I usually only scout QB's in years the Vikes may take one (I will be scouting them this offseason....because like possibly the Jets or the Browns, the Vikes should consider it) or if I just get incredibly bored in the spring. I never even saw Mahomes throw a pass before he was a Chief. I really wish I would have scouted him just to see what my opinion of him would have been.

I pride myself in being able to see the obvious busts. But I dont think I could have picked out a guy like Mahomes like Reid did.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a different topic fort a moment.

Fuck potato salad! Even with bacon.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually only scout QB's in years the Vikes may take one (I will be scouting them this offseason....because like possibly the Jets or the Browns, the Vikes should consider it) or if I just get incredibly bored in the spring. I never even saw Mahomes throw a pass before he was a Chief. I really wish I would have scouted him just to see what my opinion of him would have been.

I pride myself in being able to see the obvious busts. But I dont think I could have picked out a guy like Mahomes like Reid did.

I also am good at spotting first round flops. My team has had some so I got experience spotting them.

-Johnny outta Football (# 22) 2014
-Brandon got some Weed(en) (# 22) 2012
-BraNdy Quinn (# 22) 2007
-Tim Couchpotato (# 1) 1999

Gonna cut Couch some slack. Not his fault the dumbass Browns decided to start a rookie with an expansion team. But was outright disgusted with the first three QB's mentioned. I now hate the number 22.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also am good at spotting first round flops. My team has had some so I got experience spotting them.

-Johnny outta Football (# 22) 2014
-Brandon got some Weed(en) (# 22) 2012
-BraNdy Quinn (# 22) 2007
-Tim Couchpotato (# 1) 1999

Gonna cut Couch some slack. Not his fault the dumbass Browns decided to start a rookie with an expansion team. But was outright disgusted with the first three QB's mentioned. I now hate the number 22.

I dont always spot them.....I thought Johnny Football was going to be a decent starter at some point. :crazy:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in the nba thread they need to trade obj and see what they got after that. Unless they really think Baker is the issue then they go Keenum and a draft choice.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kansas City: F

Really? Jesus Christ... I guess Reid, if that's your guy. Andy Reid has lost his damn mind and is showing why he should retire. He's lost his damn mind. I guess the Kool Aid man busted through his bathroom and completely shocked Reid into stupidity. Just look at the kid, he looks blitzed as fuck!

LOL... woops @Shanemansj13 see, this is why I'm never happy or talk shit to people about calling a draft pick, right. Admittedly I knew nothing about Mahomes and was probably 3-4 drinks in at that point, but yah. I believe the Chiefs also traded up quite a bit to take him which I generally don't grade two favorably. Different trading picks for a proven player vs. draft.

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold has the unfortunate position of playing for Gase.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in the nba thread they need to trade obj and see what they got after that. Unless they really think Baker is the issue then they go Keenum and a draft choice.
Yeah, looking at his contract (Odell Beckham, Jr.), $14m dead cap is doable, another team gets him for 3 years. This or off-season is the time to get this done, if you're going down that path.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No excuses for Baker if he shits the bed again, but Darnold is in a tough spot. I don't think too many QBs would excel on the Jets right now. Baker on the other hand has weapons all over the place...again...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kansas City: F

Really? Jesus Christ... I guess Reid, if that's your guy. Andy Reid has lost his damn mind and is showing why he should retire. He's lost his damn mind. I guess the Kool Aid man busted through his bathroom and completely shocked Reid into stupidity. Just look at the kid, he looks blitzed as fuck!

LOL... woops @Shanemansj13 see, this is why I'm never happy or talk shit to people about calling a draft pick, right. Admittedly I knew nothing about Mahomes and was probably 3-4 drinks in at that point, but yah. I believe the Chiefs also traded up quite a bit to take him which I generally don't grade two favorably. Different trading picks for a proven player vs. draft.

TBF I don't know many that thought Mahomes was going to be that good let alone the anointed one

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could be both lol. Maybe hope OBJ starts going off then trade him and see what your record looks at the end of the season. If they are bad, go all-in on Lawrence or Fields. I just think they are going to keep giving Baker chances. I after this year is enough time but what do I know.