• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do pro athletes do this regularly

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a dbag move for athletes as rich as him

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Link: Fanatics Authentic - Sports Memorabilia, Autographed & Signed Collectibles

Fanatics authentic has a pretty large collection and considering the star power Peyton Manning has and some of the prices they charge on the site, I'd say he is being pretty cheap with his prices. For example, There is a Brian Urlacher jersey going for $7,999 on their site (Brian Urlacher Chicago Bears Autographed Game-Used Navy Reebok Jersey with GU 08 Inscription)

Hard to call peyton a dbag for doing this considering every star pro-athlete you and I like has most likely done signings for Fanatic Authentic.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link: Fanatics Authentic - Sports Memorabilia, Autographed & Signed Collectibles

Fanatics authentic has a pretty large collection and considering the star power Peyton Manning has and some of the prices they charge on the site, I'd say he is being pretty cheap with his prices. For example, There is a Brian Urlacher jersey going for $7,999 on their site (Brian Urlacher Chicago Bears Autographed Game-Used Navy Reebok Jersey with GU 08 Inscription)

Hard to call peyton a dbag for doing this considering every star pro-athlete you and I like has most likely done signings for Fanatic Authentic.
Not every pro athlete does this. They actually sign contracts with players for essentially the right to their autograph on specific memorabilia. For example, steph curry signed with these guys. Hes barred from signing basketballs (less charity events of course) for the duration of the deal for money. He can still do fan signings after games, and thats the challenge for fanatics.
Its also a good source of income for guys like ed belfour and eddie george, 2 recent guys to ink deals with them and do signings. It helps guarantee the authenticity of your autograph without hassle and keeps fraudulent stuff from making it onto the market.

Warriors' Curry signs exclusive autograph deal

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would probably be tough to get $8k if you put it on eBay though. The value for memorabilia is for the most part a scam to me.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd have to give me a handjob along with the autograph for that kind of money.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God bless him if he can make a legitimate buck doing it. I wouldn't walk across the street for his autograph, but I would bet he sells out the 300 spots he is advertising as the maximum in a market as big as Chicago.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Why is that a dbag move? If someone doesn't want to pay for an autograph, they don't have to go to it. If someone thinks it's worth it, they'll pay. Who is he hurting by doing a job?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way back a long time ago when dinosaurs ruled the earth and guys like Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle were the biggest sports celebrities around, players would sign autographs for free. They did it because fans cherished those autographs and kept them forever, even handing them down to their kids. But things have changed and the pro athletes today are smart enough to know that the vast majority of autographed memorabilia will end up on an auction site or in a store. People only want the signatures from the stars to make money now so it's little wonder the athletes have begun to charge. I watched the Blackhawks players say they couldn't pose for pics or sign autographs about 2 months ago in Minneapolis. They were more than happy to shake little kids hands and talk to them for a minute. That probably means as much to those young fans as any hat with an autograph on it. It's mainly the guys trying to sell merchandise who dislike the players charging for signatures. The rest of us would be just as happy having a small interaction and a handshake from our favorite player.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot imagine getting an autograph. It serves zero purpose.

Bobby Hull used to sign autographs until the last kid was finished. Emphasis on kid.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way back a long time ago when dinosaurs ruled the earth and guys like Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle were the biggest sports celebrities around, players would sign autographs for free. They did it because fans cherished those autographs and kept them forever, even handing them down to their kids. But things have changed and the pro athletes today are smart enough to know that the vast majority of autographed memorabilia will end up on an auction site or in a store. People only want the signatures from the stars to make money now so it's little wonder the athletes have begun to charge. I watched the Blackhawks players say they couldn't pose for pics or sign autographs about 2 months ago in Minneapolis. They were more than happy to shake little kids hands and talk to them for a minute. That probably means as much to those young fans as any hat with an autograph on it. It's mainly the guys trying to sell merchandise who dislike the players charging for signatures. The rest of us would be just as happy having a small interaction and a handshake from our favorite player.

Bullshit

Babe Ruth – The Sultan of Signing

One day, he brought the bag of dirty balls to Babe and asked him to sign them. Babe asked him what he did with them.

“‘I sell them.’
“He never asked the kid what he was doing with the money. But when I met him, Mike Mastery told me. It was the Depression. Selling those balls kept food on his family’s table.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit

Babe Ruth – The Sultan of Signing

One day, he brought the bag of dirty balls to Babe and asked him to sign them. Babe asked him what he did with them.

“‘I sell them.’
“He never asked the kid what he was doing with the money. But when I met him, Mike Mastery told me. It was the Depression. Selling those balls kept food on his family’s table.

Touche', bad example on my part, but I still think most of those old timers were signing for free. Especially compared to today.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free enterprise at work.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bingo. You don't think these guys show up for autograph signing for the love of the game do you?

To be honest, if I was going to spend several long boring hours signing things I'd want to get paid too.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post but I'd like to add that during the era of Ruth,Williams, Mantle... many of those players had a 2nd job and or served in the military during combat. Times have certainly changed. Many players are greedy and self centered SOBs. Who cares if someone makes money off your signature. It didn't cost you anything except for a few minutes of their time. Heck if they sign enough autographs they become less of a collectors item and as such the cost goes down. Making actual collectibles worth more, things like HR #500, or record setting items...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't blame athletes for charging now, but we've creating this monster.

I was in an attorney's office a few years ago and on his walls he had dozens of pics with him and famous people, many signed...To:_______________ blah, blah, blah...he had one item that was just signed and the ball player forgot the To: _____________ part and he said several people have offered in 4 figures for this baseball...one guy in particular has called him multiple times trying to buy this baseball...he said...this stuff are his memories, his life, it's NFS, period....I applaud that.

Playing in charity golf tournaments, I've been in the midst of several famous athletes and a few celebrities over the years...perhaps stupid on my part, but I never once asked for a signature...most of my pics are in chest somewhere...when you spend 4 or 5 hrs with these people you quickly see...they're not a whole lot different from you.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not normally the athlete charging that price. usually they get a flat fee from the vendor and the vendor charges those prices.