• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DL Coach John Mitchell retiring?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't expect Mitch to stick around just being Asst. HC.

So either this is all wrong, or Mitch is finally retiring.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just hired Karl Dunbar.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally drafted in Round 8 by the Steelers, but cut in camp.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very odd. So Assistant DL coach? Would think Karl Dunbar has the cred now to not be someone else's Assistant DL coach.

Why would he need to apprentice under Mitchell?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are definitely preparing for life without Coach Mitch it seems. They recently hired Blaine Stewart (son of Tomlin's mentor Bill Stewart) to be an Assistant Coach as well. Not that he would fill the AHC job, but they are putting pieces in place to give them options. My guess is Munchak would become the AHC if Mitch were to leave.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are definitely preparing for life without Coach Mitch it seems. They recently hired Blaine Stewart (son of Tomlin's mentor Bill Stewart) to be an Assistant Coach as well. Not that he would fill the AHC job, but they are putting pieces in place to give them options. My guess is Munchak would become the AHC if Mitch were to leave.

Unless something changes, coach Mitch will be back for 2018...should be back the Burg shortly actually for the combine.

But...it is clear they are planning for a transition of some type.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless something changes, coach Mitch will be back for 2018...should be back the Burg shortly actually for the combine.

But...it is clear they are planning for a transition of some type.
I saw that SteelersWire was reporting he was going to solely be the AHC next season and stepping away from the DL coaching? Is that true? Their reporting has always been habitual "jumping to conclusions" so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't true.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that SteelersWire was reporting he was going to solely be the AHC next season and stepping away from the DL coaching? Is that true? Their reporting has always been habitual "jumping to conclusions" so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't true.

IDK...I'm still waiting to talk to my friend that know coach...he just texted me back saying coach was heading back the PIT for the combine and he wasn't retiring.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK...I'm still waiting to talk to my friend that know coach...he just texted me back saying coach was heading back the PIT for the combine and he wasn't retiring.
Just curious what this move for Mitchell means. So many questions need answered.

Did Tomlin want a new perspective on the DL and forced Mitchell out of the position?
Is Mitchell retiring in the not-so-distant future?
At 66 years old I can't imagine this just a move to get himself closer to a HC job?

I like the idea of getting him more dedicated to developing the personnel, as well as the coaching staff. I don't think there is another coach on the staff more knowledgable of the Steeler Way. He has a lot of years coaching here so he understands this organization better than anyone, and he has great ties to the community & former players. I cannot see him stepping away from the DL altogether though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious what this move for Mitchell means. So many questions need answered.

Did Tomlin want a new perspective on the DL and forced Mitchell out of the position?
Is Mitchell retiring in the not-so-distant future?
At 66 years old I can't imagine this just a move to get himself closer to a HC job?

I like the idea of getting him more dedicated to developing the personnel, as well as the coaching staff. I don't think there is another coach on the staff more knowledgable of the Steeler Way. He has a lot of years coaching here so he understands this organization better than anyone, and he has great ties to the community & former players. I cannot see him stepping away from the DL altogether though.

Me as well...I think we'll find out soon enough, but I did gather that PIT will likely be the last stop for coach so I'm pretty sure HC is not on his mind at all.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Mitchell is moving to full time asst HC...it sounds like he'll still have some interaction with the DL, especially evaluating talent. Seems like he is taking a step towards retirement in another year or two and this was part of that transition.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Mitchell is moving to full time asst HC...it sounds like he'll still have some interaction with the DL, especially evaluating talent. Seems like he is taking a step towards retirement in another year or two and this was part of that transition.
What I originally thought... Inching towards retirement. Will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on a D-lineman for depth in the draft this year with Mitchell now getting more involved with the scouting.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big loss but I'm pretty sure they've been preparing for this since he stepped down from the DL Coach position. There were lots of pictures of Mitch doin his patented kneel pose during training camps for the past couple years so he was still somewhat involved with the DL. I know he was part of the coach's box crew on gamedays. Not entirely sure what his role was but glad he was able to stay a part of this organization for a few more years before retiring.