• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DK Metcalf Thread

Thoughts on DK Metcalf, WR, Seahawks. 1st Year.

• Bust, can't stay healthy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things wrong with your assessment... First you mentioned he averaged 22 ypc his senior year... Nope... He still has two years of college eligibility left!! Obviously he won't need them... But he was hurt his freshman season and red shirted... Played all 12 games his red shirt freshman year... Played in first 7 games his soph year and was injured... So basically he did what he did in 1 1/2 years in college...

Second, he wasn't a one trick pony... Do you know how quick he could cover 20 yards?? LOL... Everytime he touched the ball he was a threat to take it to the house... even on WR screens...

Even though AJ Brown was considered to be our #1 WR (probably because he stayed healthier than DK) we knew DK was a freak when he was on the field and loved watching him play...

DK will definitely have a learning curve in the NFL. I'm sure he will not come out and put up Doug Baldwin type numbers in year 1 but give him a year or two and I know he has the ability to do big things in Seattle...

Looking forward to watching more Seattle games this year!

It usually takes a WR a couple of seasons to get it all figured out. I for one, will not judge Seattle picking him based on his rookie season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So better than Tyler Lockett every year except last season? Those numbers on this team are exciting numbers and would be closer to 1000 yards on almost any other team in the NFL. He could be that good if it clicks and he stays healthy but for his first year if you ask me anything around what you said that was worst case scenarios is down right crazy. Think about the team and how much we RUN. Those would be close to MVP numbers for a WR on this team lol ( ok not MVP but you get my point )

I don't know the exact numbers he will put up, that was purely just throwing out semi-random numbers. With reports indicating Baldwin won't be back, I'd expect him to get a lot of looks. I would definitely be surprised to see him below 15 yards per catch. It's just a matter of how consistently he is able to get open. Also don't sleep on Gary Jennings, he's really interesting. I love both of those picks.

One of the more interesting things I read about Metcalf was when he was asked about his route running ability and concerns about him being a one-trick pony, he mentioned that he wasn't asked to do much at Ole Miss other than run various vertical concepts. Makes sense schematically since Ole Miss had A.J. Brown on the team.

Regarding Lockett I think that he finally just tapped into his potential. At the end of 2016 he broke his tibia and fibula and I recall him saying he wasn't really completely 100% in 2017 despite playing every game. Baldwin's injury, Kearse's departure and the change in scheme also helped. Lockett and Metcalf are both quite different players though so it's difficult to compare the two.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It usually takes a WR a couple of seasons to get it all figured out. I for one, will not judge Seattle picking him based on his rookie season.

Agreed.

In my post I speculated that we won't have a firm grasp on the type of player he will be until his third year.

Although I will say that I could see him making an impact - albeit in a one-dimensional way - in the vertical game. His size and athleticism is quite impeccable.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing the Seahawks WRs certainly won't be lacking is speed.

Tyler Lockett: 4.40 40 yard dash
D.K. Metcalf: 4.33 40 yard dash
David Moore: 4.42 40 yard dash
Jaron Brown: 4.40 40 yard dash
Gary Jennings: 4.42 40 yard dash

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other sub 4.5 WR on this team include
Darboh 4.46
Celeb Scott 4.40
Terry Wright 4.34

So 8 sub 4.5 WR on the team right now. What happened the Grayson? he was a 4.3 guy. Actually i think he was like a 4.29 guy.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow ok so i totally missed that the track star ( Grayson ) had signed with the bears last season oof. I just always assumed he was still on the practice squad.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did we sign Darboh again?

After being waived by the Seahawks, the Patriots picked him up and 2 days later he failed his physical and he went back to the Seahawks and we placed him on the IR.

I actually forgot he was still on the team until now.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not mean a whole lot due to the great disparity between what they were doing and actual football, but reports on DK Metcalf at rookie minicamp are calling him the most impressive rookie at this event since RW. Though it doesn't mean he's the next Randy Moss, it certainly is not bad news.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic did a great write-up on D.K. Metcalf if any of you guys are subscribers to The Athletic. For those of you who aren't, I'd high recommend it. They have some amazing articles.

Seahawks Film Room: D.K. Metcalf has incredible upside, but...

If you don't have a subscription, I think this was an interesting part of the article:

"At Ole Miss, Metcalf’s usage was defined by four routes: streaks, comebacks, hitches and screens, which collectively made up close to 90 percent of his touches, according to my tracking. At 6-foot-3 and 228 pounds, he has stiff hips, but the upside he brings on vertical routes makes him a fascinating addition to the Seahawks’ offense."

Metcalf definitely has a lot of development to do, but concerns regarding his route-tree might be overblown since Ole Miss didn't ask him to do much other than run those four routes.