• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Divisional Round: Buffalo @ Kansas City 6:30 pm EST CBS

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills could have told every man in coverage to literally hold or tackle their guy and they would have won by doing it. At worst they get a 5 yard holding or illegal contact penalty, but it would run 4 or 5 seconds of clock and not allow the Chiefs to move the ball. They do that twice and the game is basically over because they wouldn't have been able to move into field goal range. They should have grabbed ahold of Pringle, Kelce, Hill, and whoever else was running a route and just took the penalty. It might be a tad dirty but who gives a shit? Plus, I'd have put the kick-off in play in the first place to use even more clock.
This is what I assumed was going to happen, tbh.

Letting Kelce Ad lib his route in the middle of the field let him take as much as he could get is fucking ridiculous and easily foreseeable. Baffling game management from McDermott.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I assumed was going to happen, tbh.

Letting Kelce Ad lib his route in the middle of the field let him take as much as he could get is fucking ridiculous and easily foreseeable. Baffling game management from McDermott.
Honestly I think the first play was more baffling. Hill caught the ball contested with 2 blockers in front of him 5 yards down the field and the nearest Bills defenders were twelve yards away. They gave Tyreek Hill 12 yards of open space and gave him 2 blockers. And I believe this was after a timeout. He got 14 yards on top of the 5 yards in the air and did it in 5 seconds. Honestly, I think the Chiefs score a TD at least a third of the time on a play like that. Hill could've easily taken that all the way.

Before that play, the Bills were in good shape. After that play, you were in 'Mahomes could actually throw a TD here' range.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills could have told every man in coverage to literally hold or tackle their guy and they would have won by doing it. At worst they get a 5 yard holding or illegal contact penalty, but it would run 4 or 5 seconds of clock and not allow the Chiefs to move the ball. They do that twice and the game is basically over because they wouldn't have been able to move into field goal range. They should have grabbed ahold of Pringle, Kelce, Hill, and whoever else was running a route and just took the penalty. It might be a tad dirty but who gives a shit? Plus, I'd have put the kick-off in play in the first place to use even more clock.
I'm looking at a thread on reddit now and they're saying that this type of thing is already illegal.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at a thread on reddit now and they're saying that this type of thing is already illegal.
makes sense... not in the spirit etc..etc..

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would they enforce against it I wonder? I mean if they run a play and there's a hold or something all they can do is throw a flag, but they can't put time back on the clock right?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would they enforce against it I wonder? I mean if they run a play and there's a hold or something all they can do is throw a flag, but they can't put time back on the clock right?
I believe they put time back on the clock.

Rule 12 section 3 article 3.

ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK. A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock. Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap

I think they put that rule into play after the Ravens tried this a few years ago

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they put time back on the clock.

Rule 12 section 3 article 3.

ARTICLE 3. INTENTIONAL FOULS TO MANIPULATE GAME CLOCK. A team may not commit multiple fouls during the same down in an attempt to manipulate the game clock. Penalty: For multiple fouls to run off time from the game clock: Loss of 15 yards, and the game clock will be reset to where it was at the snap. After the penalty is enforced, the game clock will start on the next snap

I think they put that rule into play after the Ravens tried this a few years ago
Interesting, and I didn't know that. But it's still kind of subjective right? My theory of blatantly holding wouldn't work obviously because of the rule you showed me, but what if the defense just played super tight aggressive coverage which led to a penalty? Would the refs still put time back on the clock or could the Bills argue they were simply playing tight defense? I guess we will never know. And that rule must be rarely used because I can't remember ever seeing it implemented or even hearing about it until now for that matter.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, and I didn't know that. But it's still kind of subjective right? My theory of blatantly holding wouldn't work obviously because of the rule you showed me, but what if the defense just played super tight aggressive coverage which led to a penalty? Would the refs still put time back on the clock or could the Bills argue they were simply playing tight defense? I guess we will never know. And that rule must be rarely used because I can't remember ever seeing it implemented or even hearing about it until now for that matter.
I think literally anything the Bills could have done would have been better than what they did.

Although I do think they were kinda screwed after they kicked it off and let Hill get those 20 yards in 5 seconds. Squib is risky but you can't let the Chiefs get to midfield in 5 seconds. Thats just awful coaching.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this hasn't already been discussed, then how about changing the NFL OT rules so each team gets a shot to score instead of what in effect amounts to game over if a team wins the coin toss and then scores on the first try.

This is particularly annoying when two solid teams are playing and, like Sunday's game, where Chiefs beat the Bills by winning the coin toss then going in to score. It's goofy football when the opposing team has no chance to answer.

The NFL rule for the 10-minute overtime period is just dumb. It doesn't even mention the coin toss: "Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession." In this case, the Bills didn't have an opportunity to possess the ball - the coin toss??

The team that got the ball first has won 52% of the time. The team that kicked off has won 42% of the time. The rest were ties, which happens in regular season games when no one scores during the now 10-minute overtime period.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exciting as this game was, it was also a little depressing for me because it shows how big the gap is between teams with elite Qbs and everyone else. There is simply no way to beat Mahomes in the playoffs without a really elite passer, and even then you may not score enough to have a shot.

His ability to elude, escape and buy time is just uncanny... and he only runs a 4.8 supposedly which isn't slow but it isn't exactly blazing speed even for a QB either. That's what really sets him apart in my mind... it's like he has a 6th sense or several sets of eyes in his head.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bills squib kick, they leave the Chiefs with time for one play only and win the game. They blew it.

How? The clock doesn't start until the ball is touched on a kickoff. A KC player grabs it and kneels.. they burn maybe 1 second, 2 tops.

I've posted this like 4 times .. I guess nobody wants to discuss it.

A squib kick was the right call because a KC player might have misplayed it. But in no way is it a slam dunk that it would have made any difference at all and it also brings in the possibility that a KC player fields it and kneels in much better field position than their own 25.

Last edited:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting idea.. but easier said that done and could have easily gone sideways, too. The refs also have that 15 yard "unsportsmanlike conduct" option in their bag of tricks.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ability to elude, escape and buy time is just uncanny... and he only runs a 4.8 supposedly which isn't slow but it isn't exactly blazing speed even for a QB either. That's what really sets him apart in my mind... it's like he has a 6th sense or several sets of eyes in his head.
I could be wrong, but he looks like he lost a good amount of weight (apparently one of his nicknames was fatrick) since he got drafted. He has always been quick/twitchy even during the combine though.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this hasn't already been discussed, then how about changing the NFL OT rules so each team gets a shot to score instead of what in effect amounts to game over if a team wins the coin toss and then scores on the first try.

This is particularly annoying when two solid teams are playing and, like Sunday's game, where Chiefs beat the Bills by winning the coin toss then going in to score. It's goofy football when the opposing team has no chance to answer.

The NFL rule for the 10-minute overtime period is just dumb. It doesn't even mention the coin toss: "Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession." In this case, the Bills didn't have an opportunity to possess the ball - the coin toss??

The team that got the ball first has won 52% of the time. The team that kicked off has won 42% of the time. The rest were ties, which happens in regular season games when no one scores during the now 10-minute overtime period.
Fyi...the defense can score in football but you keep crying

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one game where you can't fault Andy Reid's clock management. Not to say he got the monkey off his back but they even had one timeout leftover when they kicked the FG.

163. That's the average amount of passing yards the Bills allowed in the regular season.

The Bills also only allowed 12(!!) passing TDs the entire regular season.