• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dishwasher no power?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys,

Went to run my dishwasher tonight (worked fine a month ago) and there was no lights, no buttons will work, almost like no power. It's an in unit dishwasher (no plugin visible) so I reset the circuit breaker, but still nothing. All other appliances/outlets work in the kitchen. It's 15 years old, KitchenAid... guess I'll just call KitchenAid and have them send a service repairman?

I read some things online and it seems it'd be the thermal fuse as an issue, but who knows... figure by the time I fuck around with it and order parts it's just easier to have them send a repair person and get charged up the ass (prob. $300 or something stupid).

Thoughts?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys,

Went to run my dishwasher tonight (worked fine a month ago) and there was no lights, no buttons will work, almost like no power. It's an in unit dishwasher (no plugin visible) so I reset the circuit breaker, but still nothing. All other appliances/outlets work in the kitchen. It's 15 years old, KitchenAid... guess I'll just call KitchenAid and have them send a service repairman?

I read some things online and it seems it'd be the thermal fuse as an issue, but who knows... figure by the time I fuck around with it and order parts it's just easier to have them send a repair person and get charged up the ass (prob. $300 or something stupid).

Thoughts?
it is 15 years old, dishwashers are super easy to install, buy a new one :D

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is 15 years old, dishwashers are super easy to install, buy a new one :D

Good call.. looks like a new one is only $600 or so on Home Depot and installation is $150 which is whatever (might as well have someone else do it). Probably spend half that having KitchenAid send someone out plus repair with older parts... might as well just get a new one and when I sell this stupid place in the God Forsaken land of Taxillinois I can list that the dishwasher as brand new.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call.. looks like a new one is only $600 or so on Home Depot and installation is $150 which is whatever (might as well have someone else do it). Probably spend half that having KitchenAid send someone out plus repair with older parts... might as well just get a new one and when I sell this stupid place in the God Forsaken land of Taxillinois I can list that the dishwasher as brand new.
Gah i mean you can install a tabletop microwave yea?

a dishwasher is only slightly more difficult than plugging in a vacuum cleaner.

You have a water line, drain line, and power wieres that youll wiere nut in, removing your old dishwasher on your own would show you just how easy those 3 things are to do :D or even a youtube video.

So not worth giving someone 150 bucks. i could see maybe 40 bucks if it included delivery :D

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys,

Thoughts?

You haven't done the dishes in a month?

Anyways, the unit is either hardwired and that can be checked for power by accessing the box behind the lower font valance. If it is a plug in that box will still have a pig tail wired into it, but the outlet would be behind the machine.

If the breaker is in fact sending power to the unit and you are not getting any lights at all.............................. well, 15 years is a pretty good run and I wouldn't recommend sinking any $$ into it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gah i mean you can install a tabletop microwave yea?

a dishwasher is only slightly more difficult than plugging in a vacuum cleaner.

You have a water line, drain line, and power wieres that youll wiere nut in, removing your old dishwasher on your own would show you just how easy those 3 things are to do :D or even a youtube video.

So not worth giving someone 150 bucks. i could see maybe 40 bucks if it included delivery :D

Okay Tim the Tool Man Taylor...

giphy.gif

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyways, the unit is either hardwired and that can be checked for power by accessing the box behind the lower font valance. If it is a plug in that box will still have a pig tail wired into it, but the outlet would be behind the machine.

If the breaker is in fact sending power to the unit and you are not getting any lights at all.............................. well, 15 years is a pretty good run and I wouldn't recommend sinking any $$ into it.
I suppose there could be a GFCI outlet if it has a plug instead of hardwires.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you turn a dishwasher into a snow thrower?

Give the bitch a shovel :nod:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yah I have power... I think NU was spot on with the assessment on buying a new one.

And often I do dishes by hand. I run the dishwasher when I'm feeling lazy and at least once a month to make sure seals don't break, etc. but really don't generate that many dishes for a full load.

I make girlfriends and the occasional guests eat off paper plates. Less cleanup and puts them in their place.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys,

Went to run my dishwasher tonight (worked fine a month ago) and there was no lights, no buttons will work, almost like no power.

Sounds like you need to fill a sink with warm dishwater....

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose there could be a GFCI outlet if it has a plug instead of hardwires.

If it is a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher it is highly unlikely to be a GFCI hiding behind the unit. If it is not dedicated it is most likely on the same run as one of the GFCIs above the countertop. Depends on the age of the house.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher it is highly unlikely to be a GFCI hiding behind the unit. If it is not dedicated it is most likely on the same run as one of the GFCIs above the countertop. Depends on the age of the house.
Yea it was just a thought of why it wouldnt have power lights on the front.

Hey guy check your garbage disposal does it run? :D

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it was just a thought of why it wouldnt have power lights on the front.

Hey guy check your garbage disposal does it run? :D

Disposal and all other kitchen appliances/outlets are working.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I have power... I think NU was spot on with the assessment on buying a new one.

And often I do dishes by hand. I run the dishwasher when I'm feeling lazy and at least once a month to make sure seals don't break, etc. but really don't generate that many dishes for a full load.

I make girlfriends and the occasional guests eat off paper plates. Less cleanup and puts them in their place.

I'm single (sorta) and I don't generate a lot of dishes either, but I do have an older high end Kitchenaid dishwasher and that damn thing is amazing. I run it every couple of days whether it has a lot of dishes in it or not. Fuck washing dishes by hand.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disposal and all other kitchen appliances/outlets are working.

Meh id say if all other outlets in the area are working barring something funky there would be something wrong with your unit.

a thermal fuse would not likely be the problem, those usually only trip after the unit has been used, they are basically a self resetting breaker so use makes them heat up and downtime resets it by allowing it to cool so that is not likely the culprit (but who am i trying to diagnose it over the internet with nothing more than "the lights dont turn on")

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm single (sorta) and I don't generate a lot of dishes either, but I do have an older high end Kitchenaid dishwasher and that damn thing is amazing. I run it every couple of days whether it has a lot of dishes in it or not. Fuck washing dishes by hand.
I have to hound my daughter about it (her job is dishes) it will fill up to capacity or beyond every 2 days or every other day and she will just not run it. Ill call her to the kitchen and be like "why are there dishes in the sink" she says "the dishwasher is full" i say well why isnt it running "oh do you want me to run it?" like c'mon its not ever going to be a different answer!!